Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA and You can keep your health insurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2015-04-02 3:55 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: ACA and You can keep your health insurance
I heard so many people who lost there health insurance due to ACA even though sounds like that was common before ACA it just might not been as noticeable or as dramatic change. I found someone who kept there old plan.

Turns out because of the ACA you can get breast pumps for your baby. With my baby soon to be here I am excited about this since mom is hoping to pump. A college friend of mine got to keep her insurance plan from before ACA. Since it was grandfathered in she does not get the breast pump. I also assuming she does not get a free flu vaccinates either. Even if you got to keep your old insurance does not mean it is always for the best.

2015-04-02 4:21 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Subject: RE: ACA and You can keep your health insurance
Originally posted by chirunner134

I heard so many people who lost there health insurance due to ACA even though sounds like that was common before ACA it just might not been as noticeable or as dramatic change. I found someone who kept there old plan.

Turns out because of the ACA you can get breast pumps for your baby. With my baby soon to be here I am excited about this since mom is hoping to pump. A college friend of mine got to keep her insurance plan from before ACA. Since it was grandfathered in she does not get the breast pump. I also assuming she does not get a free flu vaccinates either. Even if you got to keep your old insurance does not mean it is always for the best.

You can buy a four and a half star rated breast pump for $215 on Amazon.. So the question being....did we really need to screw up 1/6th of the economy over a $215 breast pump?

Now as for whether breast pumps should be covered.under insurance. I say if there is a medical need that prevents a baby from naturally nursing, then it should be covered. If it is your choice as parents that you want a breast pump in the care plan of your newborn, then it shouldn't be covered.

In my world, there are no plans to have babies in my household in this lifetime so any insurance plan that is less expensive because it doesn't cover breast pumps is better than yours that does.... So I guess it is all in the perspective.

2015-05-04 8:59 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Pro
Tejas
And their you have it.
2015-05-04 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

My kids are 14 and 16.  Is it too late to get breast pumps?  Will they be covered for me, or only my wife?

2015-05-04 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Jackemy1
Originally posted by chirunner134 I heard so many people who lost there health insurance due to ACA even though sounds like that was common before ACA it just might not been as noticeable or as dramatic change. I found someone who kept there old plan. Turns out because of the ACA you can get breast pumps for your baby. With my baby soon to be here I am excited about this since mom is hoping to pump. A college friend of mine got to keep her insurance plan from before ACA. Since it was grandfathered in she does not get the breast pump. I also assuming she does not get a free flu vaccinates either. Even if you got to keep your old insurance does not mean it is always for the best.
You can buy a four and a half star rated breast pump for $215 on Amazon.. So the question being....did we really need to screw up 1/6th of the economy over a $215 breast pump? Now as for whether breast pumps should be covered.under insurance. I say if there is a medical need that prevents a baby from naturally nursing, then it should be covered. If it is your choice as parents that you want a breast pump in the care plan of your newborn, then it shouldn't be covered. In my world, there are no plans to have babies in my household in this lifetime so any insurance plan that is less expensive because it doesn't cover breast pumps is better than yours that does.... So I guess it is all in the perspective.

Not everyone can afford the things you can.  The ACA isn't for people with money, its to take some money from all us rich people, so that the poor people can have health insurance.  Its called being kind. try it.

2015-05-04 10:22 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well, having a breast pump or not covered is also a matter of affordability. Some people $250 on top of all the other costs is no big deal and for others they would have there babies at home because they can not afford the max out of pocket.

Really I heard people screaming about they could not keep it even though I heard its 80% people do not keep there insurance plan every year. Finally example of someone who did get to keep it.

2015-05-04 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
For women in need $250 breast pump is a lot cheaper than $100 a month for formula.

http://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-costs
2015-05-04 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by chirunner134 For women in need $250 breast pump is a lot cheaper than $100 a month for formula. http://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-costs

So healthcare coverage is now about covering food costs?

2015-05-04 1:56 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by SevenZulu

Originally posted by chirunner134 For women in need $250 breast pump is a lot cheaper than $100 a month for formula. http://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-costs

So healthcare coverage is now about covering food costs?

For infants in order to get breastmilk. Yes we are.

2015-05-05 9:08 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
My wife used an Evenflo brand pump when we had kids. She used the same one for both kids and Walmart sells them for 40 bucks. It now serves as a fountain pump in our back yard birdbath.
2015-05-05 11:44 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Originally posted by dmiller5

Not everyone can afford the things you can.  The ACA isn't for people with money, its to take some money from all us rich people, so that the poor people can have health insurance.  Its called being kind. try it.

I am wonder how it came to be that wanting people to keep the fruits of their labor to do as they please is considered greedy and unkind. While demanding and taking, through the force of government, the fruits of someone’s labor to spend on what you deem as worthy is considered kind and altruistic.

But anyway poor people had medicaid and old people had medicare well before the ACA. It is not the case that there was an epidemic of grandmas and poor kids dying in the streets before the Obamacare saved them with subsidized health insurance.

2015-05-05 12:09 PM

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

For women in need $250 breast pump is a lot cheaper than $100 a month for formula.

http://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-costs

So you buy the pump and it's paid off in 2 and a half months. That is an annual return of 480% on your investment. It sounds like a slam dunk investment to me and the question as to whether we are buying it for you or not because I'm apparently supposed to as my citizen duty because I am rich is inconsequential.

So what am I missing here?

2015-05-05 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I am wonder how it came to be that wanting people to keep the fruits of their labor to do as they please is considered greedy and unkind. While demanding and taking, through the force of government, the fruits of someone’s labor to spend on what you deem as worthy is considered kind and altruistic. But anyway poor people had medicaid and old people had medicare well before the ACA. It is not the case that there was an epidemic of grandmas and poor kids dying in the streets before the Obamacare saved them with subsidized health insurance.

and the fruits of your labors are there for you because of your privileged place in society.

2015-05-05 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

So you buy the pump and it's paid off in 2 and a half months. That is an annual return of 480% on your investment. It sounds like a slam dunk investment to me and the question as to whether we are buying it for you or not because I'm apparently supposed to as my citizen duty because I am rich is inconsequential. So what am I missing here?

some people don't have $250 for the breast pump, the can only buy formula with food stamps.

2015-05-07 11:15 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

So you buy the pump and it's paid off in 2 and a half months. That is an annual return of 480% on your investment. It sounds like a slam dunk investment to me and the question as to whether we are buying it for you or not because I'm apparently supposed to as my citizen duty because I am rich is inconsequential. So what am I missing here?

some people don't have $250 for the breast pump, the can only buy formula with food stamps.

Those that don't have the money for a $ 250 breast pump can buy the 40 dollar one?
2015-05-07 2:02 PM

User image

The WIC program was around well before the ACA.

It cost $250,000 to raise a kid nowadays. If a $250 expense is a problem then how do the parent expect to financial support the raising of child over the next 18 years? How about the couple having a discussion on whether the family is financial stable enough to take on the task of having children?

2015-05-07 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
>

and the fruits of your labors are there for you because of your privileged place in society.

Worst answer ever....

I'm fine with ACA, but this type of comment makes me think twice.
2015-05-08 8:43 AM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by jmcconne
Originally posted by dmiller5 >

Worst answer ever.... I'm fine with ACA, but this type of comment makes me think twice.

So if you were born a black woman in the outskirts of Detroit, you'd be in the same place you are now?

2015-05-08 10:24 AM

User image

Pro

Worst answer ever.... I'm fine with ACA, but this type of comment makes me think twice.

So if you were born a black woman in the outskirts of Detroit, you'd be in the same place you are now?

Hell no!!!  I'd be Aretha Franklin!!

(aretha.png)

Attachments
----------------
aretha.png (40KB - 4 downloads)
2015-05-08 12:33 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Heck, he could even be the FLOTUS!
2015-05-22 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

The WIC program was around well before the ACA.

It cost $250,000 to raise a kid nowadays. If a $250 expense is a problem then how do the parent expect to financial support the raising of child over the next 18 years? How about the couple having a discussion on whether the family is financial stable enough to take on the task of having children?

DING DING DING....

We have a winner!

Too many people refuse to be blunt and ask the question of people: Can you afford a child? If the answer is no, then there you have it. "Your" desire to have a child does not mean I have to financially support that decision.

2015-06-01 8:59 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I can't believe I keep missing these fun threads until they're all died down.  

This type of attitude is what keeps people from being successful.  Zig Ziglar has a quote that I love.  "if you aim at nothing, you will hit it 100% of the time".

I grew up dirt poor in nasty trailer parks most of my life.  I was even homeless for about three years as I went through middle school.  Everyone around me told me that I wouldn't amount to anything, but I refused to believe them and became extremely successful in life.  I never once had anything handed to me, and I worked my tail off to get where I'm at.  I had numerous setbacks over the years, but my driven attitude would never allow for anything but success.

It doesn't matter if you're white, black, asian, gay or straight you can be successful in America if you apply yourself and ignore people like yourself who say you can't succeed unless you come from a certain place.

2015-06-01 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

While I am a white male, I was born in the outskirts of Detroit. If that counts for anything. If I had the same parents that instilled the same values including the great importance of education, I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty close. Obviously being white and handsome (not sure if you knew I was good looking) likely provided me some advantages, but I'd be willing to bet working hard from elementary school through grad school and not getting into drugs or other bad habits had more of an affect.
2015-06-01 12:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

While I am a white male, I was born in the outskirts of Detroit. If that counts for anything. If I had the same parents that instilled the same values including the great importance of education, I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty close. Obviously being white and handsome (not sure if you knew I was good looking) likely provided me some advantages, but I'd be willing to bet working hard from elementary school through grad school and not getting into drugs or other bad habits had more of an affect.

What if you parents were drug addicts that taught you your whole life that working hard gets you no where.  My point is that the situation you were born in to impacts your opportunities. 

People in this country are racist. People in the country are sexist. People in this country discriminate about lots of things. Pretending like a Christian, white, good looking male doesn't have advantages of others is total BS.  Now you can argue that these things can be overcome, fine.  But pretending like they don't exist, because YOU want to believe that your success is due solely to your own hard work, and not some amount of luck or generosity from others is total crap.  Someone, somewhere threw you a bone, or taught you a lesson, or gave you a job etc. etc. etc. that helped you succeed. 

As a white male you are more likely to receive this assistance.

As a more wealthy person you are more likely to receive this assistance.

As a person born in a certain place you are more likely to receive this assistance.

ETA: And if you got really sick when you were homeless, and couldn't afford healthcare, you sure as shootin wouldn't have made it where you are. you would have died.  Healthcare shouldn't be a flippin privilege. it should be a right that every HUMAN BEING has, no matter if they are lucky enough to have a good job with benefits or not,.

Why does being rich make your life worth more? 

Edited by dmiller5 2015-06-01 12:37 PM
2015-06-01 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

What if you parents were drug addicts that taught you your whole life that working hard gets you no where.  My point is that the situation you were born in to impacts your opportunities. 

People in this country are racist. People in the country are sexist. People in this country discriminate about lots of things. Pretending like a Christian, white, good looking male doesn't have advantages of others is total BS.  Now you can argue that these things can be overcome, fine.  But pretending like they don't exist, because YOU want to believe that your success is due solely to your own hard work, and not some amount of luck or generosity from others is total crap.  Someone, somewhere threw you a bone, or taught you a lesson, or gave you a job etc. etc. etc. that helped you succeed. 

As a white male you are more likely to receive this assistance.

As a more wealthy person you are more likely to receive this assistance.

As a person born in a certain place you are more likely to receive this assistance.

ETA: And if you got really sick when you were homeless, and couldn't afford healthcare, you sure as shootin wouldn't have made it where you are. you would have died.  Healthcare shouldn't be a flippin privilege. it should be a right that every HUMAN BEING has, no matter if they are lucky enough to have a good job with benefits or not,.

Why does being rich make your life worth more? 

I'm not in any way against helping others. But to say that what I have is simply because of my place in society is as drastic an over simplification as it is to say that anyone who does not graduate from high school is dumb.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA and You can keep your health insurance Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Regulation to cancel insurance policies wasn't in the ACA?

Started by tuwood
Views: 2455 Posts: 15

2013-11-26 5:47 PM tuwood

The ACA has revealed ignorance about...

Started by pga_mike
Views: 2371 Posts: 23

2013-10-09 9:17 AM Jackemy1

The ACA started with "Conservatives"?

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1736 Posts: 11

2013-10-04 1:26 PM kevin_trapp

ACA fun begins on Oct 1 (mines beginning already) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tuwood
Views: 9287 Posts: 90

2013-11-10 7:50 AM NXS

ACA Employer Mandate Pushed to 2015

Started by Aarondb4
Views: 1307 Posts: 4

2013-07-08 9:20 AM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : December 17, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 2
The Monday after the race, I go to my health club for my first Pilates class in six years. I look like the fittest person here. Fortunately, I don’t mention to anyone that I’m a triathlete.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 10, 2007
author : mars
comments : 5
The journey of an average Joe entering the triathlon world. I was 35 pounds overweight and out of shape. Enough was enough, and it was time for me to take back my health and my body.

date : September 4, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.