General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back of ankle pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-06 7:04 PM

User image

Subject: Back of ankle pain
Hey BTers!

I recently got home from work, pressed the back of my right ankle and discovered it was quite tender to the touch. A quick google revealed this to be a symptom of achilles tendonitis, another symptom of which is the tendon being quite sore first thing in the morning (something I have had for at least a month, I just thought it was from being bent the other way all night).

This was about two or three weeks ago, and the ankle tightness in the morning for maybe a month before that, but I didn't pay attention to it. I have embarked on a campaign of lots of stretching and rolling of my calves and around the tendon, and I discovered it is really sore, and really tight. Two weeks of this has meant there is no pain in the morning. My ankle has been fine after runs as well, except yesterday when I pulled up 1km in with in hurting.

I did an Oly tri two weekends ago on no running for two weeks (well, since I read about the problem, so about a week and a half) and had no pain the race, but very sore legs for about 3 days. I have been stretching a lot, and have gone on two very light runs. I have one more Oly this weekend, and then my season is over.

I am a curious person, and I have put the injury down to two things, I would love to hear if it sounds like I am on the right track. First, I bought a new pair of shoes (at the start of the year) and went from my old pair, an 8mm offset, to a 4mm offset pair of almost racing flats. I loved them and they caused no problems at first. I THINK, THINK, what triggered it was an increase in running up hills, as well as going on a few longer runs after missing a run during the week. Followed up by little stretching, does it sound like this could have caused it?

I'd also love to hear about further recovery options! I have marathon booked for October with my brother, and want to be in shape for that, and the tri season that will start just after that! One thing I thought of was to go buy another pair of shoes, maybe another 8mm offset pair, and mix up training in both? I assume resting would be good, but would light running with plenty of recovery and stretching be ok?

Thanks all, sorry for the long winded post, thought I would try to jam in all the info!

Cheers
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back of ankle pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

lower back pain and groin pain

Started by CAOP1231
Views: 1420 Posts: 3

2010-12-05 9:19 PM treadster

Sudden heel / back of ankle pain

Started by jdbadger
Views: 5020 Posts: 8

2007-01-26 12:01 PM sandert

Ankle Pain

Started by mhyte
Views: 790 Posts: 4

2005-06-23 10:19 AM dibujob

pain on sides of ankles

Started by ghusarik
Views: 790 Posts: 1

2005-04-02 6:42 PM ghusarik

Ankle Pain and the Bike

Started by soupaman
Views: 3644 Posts: 7

2004-04-15 8:55 AM Pro_rider
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pain on the inside of the ankle is a frustrating issue to deal with, here are many structures present on the inside of the ankle, which can also make the diagnosis difficult for health care providers.

date : August 30, 2013
comments : 1
*The past few weeks I have had this dull, sometimes sharp pain around my ankle. It's on the front of my ankle (which is weird). I get the most pain when swimming.
date : December 14, 2011
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : January 17, 2011
comments : 2
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?
date : June 25, 2010
I did more therapy, more stretches, more exercises and stopped running for over six months. I am just coming back to triathlon after a year off due to this ankle injury.

date : May 25, 2009
I started playing basketball three times a week in addition to running and biking. Now, whenever I run any distance, the next day, I can hardly sit in my chair at work.
date : October 30, 2005
Been having ankle and achilles pain. Went to sports med/therapy clinic...was given stretches to help achilles and had an appointment made for getting orthotics.

date : April 9, 2005
The only time it hurt is when I stretched my left calf. I guess, "flexing" the ankle the way you do when stretching your calf is what was hurting it. The place it hurt is just fore of the ankle bone.