General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PSI Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-08 2:12 PM

User image

Subject: PSI Question
I know there's a thread over in the main forum regarding PSI sensitivity, but this isn't regarding sensitivity so I thought I'd post my question here and not hi-jack the other thread.

Long story short, I'm new to biking. I started last June and am still learning alot as I go. Turns out that for about half my outdoor rides last year, and alot of my trainer rides this winter, my tires were severely underinflated. To the tune of 20-40 PSI. I only had one pinch flat; don't ask how I didn't have more because I don't know.

Anyway, about a month ago I realized my mistake after talking with someone at my LBS. Since then, I've had my tires properly inflated on the trainer.

About a week ago I put some new tires on my bike (Vittoria Rubino III), and the sidewall says "100 PSI min 130 PSI max". Keeping the tires inflated in this range isn't a problem, but after reading the other thread about PSI sensitivity, I imagine I'll be playing with the PSI some to find out what ranges are most comfortable for me. I know in the other thread some people mentioned they like to ride at around 90 PSI. My question is: if I find the 100 PSI minimum value to be a bit much for me, am I risking damage to my tires if I ride at 90 or 95 PSI?

2015-04-08 6:01 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: PSI Question
What's up man, you could've thrown this up in that thread I started. No hijacking sensitivity lol
Don't know about the Vittoria's, but remember those other 3 variables: Bodyweight / Tire&Rim width / Road conditions.
2015-04-09 6:38 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: PSI Question
I ride Rubino Pros too. I'm 175 lbs, I inflate the rear tires to 100 psi and the front tires to 90 psi. The front wheel can use less pressure because less weight is on it, while the rear tire has more weight and is used for propulsion. I've also ridden Michelin Krylion tires, which have a recommended 115 psi for my weight Those numbers are for standard 19mm wide rims. For 23mm wide rims HED recommends 90 PSI as optimal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PSI Question Rss Feed