General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic distance training plan concerns Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-08 8:04 PM

Subject: Olympic distance training plan concerns
I am in my second week of training for my first Olympic distance which is the end of June. I am following the triradar.com my first Olympic plan. Link : http://mos.triradar.com/Training_Plans/Train_For_Your_First_Tri.pdf

First I am a weak swimmer. I am concerned that the workouts are not enough. Today's was: 10x50 25-free 25-bilateral 30 sec RI. 200m kick, 4x25 pull.

I completed the workout and felt like I could do the whole thing again.

Is this plan sufficient? Or should I try something else?

Thanks in advance!

2015-04-08 8:21 PM
in reply to: bbeale90

Subject: RE: Olympic distance training plan concerns
While you should be careful when increasing your run volume, feel free to swim as much as you want. The plan looks ok, it is geared toward a first timer so the volume starts low and gradually increases. If you have some prior fitness you can start at week 4 or 5.
2015-04-08 8:51 PM

Originally posted by bbeale90

I am in my second week of training for my first Olympic distance which is the end of June. I am following the triradar.com my first Olympic plan. Link : http://mos.triradar.com/Training_Plans/Train_For_Your_First_Tri.pdf

First I am a weak swimmer. I am concerned that the workouts are not enough. Today's was: 10x50 25-free 25-bilateral 30 sec RI. 200m kick, 4x25 pull.

I completed the workout and felt like I could do the whole thing again.

Is this plan sufficient? Or should I try something else?

Thanks in advance!

That looks to be the "Main Sets" of the workout, no warm-up or cool-down included. The yardage could easily be doubled by including a warm-up & cool down if you are so inclined. And as also posted a beginner workout so it is going to be on the short end of the spectrum.
2015-04-08 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by bbeale90 I am in my second week of training for my first Olympic distance which is the end of June. I am following the triradar.com my first Olympic plan. Link : http://mos.triradar.com/Training_Plans/Train_For_Your_First_Tri.pdfFirst I am a weak swimmer. I am concerned that the workouts are not enough. Today's was: 10x50 25-free 25-bilateral 30 sec RI. 200m kick, 4x25 pull. I completed the workout and felt like I could do the whole thing again. Is this plan sufficient? Or should I try something else? Thanks in advance!

swim harder or rest less

2015-04-08 9:23 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
When you're talking about 50m repeats they should be very hard efforts. That being said you should be able to get two 10x50 sets in an hour and still have time for the drills. Realistically though if you're not a strong swimmer I don't know that there's much of a point in pull sets, you'll likely give your arms all the workout they need from your 50m repeats - that's my opinion though and I'm not an authority by any stretch.

For example, this should fit quite easily into an hour, and if you're not feeling it by the end you weren't swimming those 50s hard enough.
200 easy
2x50 kick
10x50 hard
50 easy
10x50 hard
100 easy
2015-04-08 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
personally I would add a long swim per week..perhaps on the weekend.

maybe start with 400 m, gradually work up the distance each week to 1500 m without stopping.

Unless this race is a pool swim, you should get in some OWS (Open Water Swims) periodically as well.

If this race is a wetsuit swim, I'd advise swimming in the wetsuit more than once, as the plan has the week prior.
Wetsuit swimming is quite a bit different than without.

2015-04-08 10:10 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by metafizx personally I would add a long swim per week..perhaps on the weekend. maybe start with 400 m, gradually work up the distance each week to 1500 m without stopping. Unless this race is a pool swim, you should get in some OWS (Open Water Swims) periodically as well. If this race is a wetsuit swim, I'd advise swimming in the wetsuit more than once, as the plan has the week prior. Wetsuit swimming is quite a bit different than without.

strongly disagree

nonstop long swims should not be a weekly occurrence. maybe use for testing, or before an ironman distance once or twice if you are really worried.

2015-04-09 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure what your swim level is but you could either add more yardage as warmup and warm down, or maybe use the swim workouts from a slightly more advanced plan. I've been doing this lately with HIM training, because I felt the workouts on the plan I was using (for the run) were not challenging or interesting enough to make them worth my while Or try a site like [email protected]. The "C" level workouts on that site are suitable for advanced beginners and in the 2000-2400m range.
2015-04-09 8:03 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

I'm by no mean an expert so take this all with a grain of salt. In my own training I don't gain much from a long continuous swim other than the psycological edge from knowing I can do the distance. What I find is that when doing one of these workouts, after about 1000 yards I settle into a breathing pattern that I could carry on seemingly forever and at that point the goal of the continuous swim has pretty much been achieved. Doing repeats gives me a better workout. This topic has been discussed on every tri board I've ever read and the general consensus seems to agree that is the best way to become a better swimmer. But yea, I like to do one time trial equal to the race distance at some point leading up to an event for the psycological edge. I'm pretty new at all this though and I'm finding with each race I do I feel less and less attached to that psycological grab. If you consider yourself a weak swimmer though I would not downplay the importance of getting comfortable in open water conditions. However many times it takes, find time for open water workouts so you feel more at home out there.
2015-04-09 9:53 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by bbeale90 I am in my second week of training for my first Olympic distance which is the end of June. I am following the triradar.com my first Olympic plan. Link : http://mos.triradar.com/Training_Plans/Train_For_Your_First_Tri.pdfFirst I am a weak swimmer. I am concerned that the workouts are not enough. Today's was: 10x50 25-free 25-bilateral 30 sec RI. 200m kick, 4x25 pull. I completed the workout and felt like I could do the whole thing again. Is this plan sufficient? Or should I try something else? Thanks in advance!

swim harder or rest less

x2
2015-04-09 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

Originally posted by metafizx personally I would add a long swim per week..perhaps on the weekend. maybe start with 400 m, gradually work up the distance each week to 1500 m without stopping. Unless this race is a pool swim, you should get in some OWS (Open Water Swims) periodically as well. If this race is a wetsuit swim, I'd advise swimming in the wetsuit more than once, as the plan has the week prior. Wetsuit swimming is quite a bit different than without.

strongly disagree

nonstop long swims should not be a weekly occurrence. maybe use for testing, or before an ironman distance once or twice if you are really worried.

I personally am not a fan of swim intervals, nor pool swimming. But I do believe in the long swim, as in the long bike / long run concept.
I've trained this way for years now and it works for me. Perhaps I'd be faster if I did more conventional swim training (which I have done in the past).

Aside from what I do, I feel it's important for new or weak swimmers to get in a long swim weekly to gain confidence, and comfort in the water.
Anxiety while OWS in a race can be quite high and having a good base of long distance swims helps a lot IMO.

Because OLY swims are close to that of a HIM, it's certainly a long time in the water for a new / weak swimmer. I'd add that wetsuit swims are also a contributor to anxiety and the reason to practice long swims well in advance of the race.

Again MO, and not a coach.

2015-04-09 2:53 PM

Thank you for all the insite, one more question in the program is says 4x25m that means swim 25m the stop, reset, and continue?

Also any tips on bilateral breathing, right now I'm taking a breath every 2 strokes. When I do breath bilaterally i feel out of breath. Is it just something I have to adapt to?

Thanks again
2015-04-09 3:02 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Also any tips on bilateral breathing, right now I'm taking a breath every 2 strokes. When I do breath bilaterally i feel out of breath. Is it just something I have to adapt to? Thanks again

I take a breath every 3rd stroke for bilateral breathing. To get used to it, maybe throw in a 3rd stroke after a couple 2 stroke breathing patterns and slow down your exhale rate a little.

2015-04-09 3:10 PM
in reply to: metafizx

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by metafizx

strongly disagree

I personally am not a fan of swim intervals, nor pool swimming. But I do believe in the long swim, as in the long bike / long run concept. I've trained this way for years now and it works for me. Perhaps I'd be faster if I did more conventional swim training (which I have done in the past). Aside from what I do, I feel it's important for new or weak swimmers to get in a long swim weekly to gain confidence, and comfort in the water. Anxiety while OWS in a race can be quite high and having a good base of long distance swims helps a lot IMO. Because OLY swims are close to that of a HIM, it's certainly a long time in the water for a new / weak swimmer. I'd add that wetsuit swims are also a contributor to anxiety and the reason to practice long swims well in advance of the race. Again MO, and not a coach.

Do note that it's the continuous part that's bringing up the disagreement. Pretty sure all of those opposed would agree to bigger swims and main sets, just broken up into various sized intervals. And in that you can do things like keep the rest short. Thinking like breaking up 4,000 into 20 x 200 or into 400's or 500's occasionally. And not come to complete recovery either. Just a little rest that can take some of the edge off. The logic of having confidence of swimming continuously is understood, but myself and many others have gained quite a bit of confidence just by becoming better swimmers. A main set at masters would often be at least as big as an Oly or HIM swim and typically swum a fair amount harder than many would swim the tri. Being able to do that helped me more than any continuous swim had.

2015-04-09 4:52 PM

Thank you for all the insite, one more question in the program is says 4x25m that means swim 25m the stop, reset, and continue?

Also any tips on bilateral breathing, right now I'm taking a breath every 2 strokes. When I do breath bilaterally i feel out of breath. Is it just something I have to adapt to?

Thanks again

Yes, that means stop after each 25m. Don't worry about bilateral breathing, you'll be fine without it. Learn to swim for now, you can go through your entire triathlon career without bilaterally breathing once.
2015-04-09 6:34 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by ziggie204
Originally posted by bbeale90 Thank you for all the insite, one more question in the program is says 4x25m that means swim 25m the stop, reset, and continue? Also any tips on bilateral breathing, right now I'm taking a breath every 2 strokes. When I do breath bilaterally i feel out of breath. Is it just something I have to adapt to? Thanks again
Yes, that means stop after each 25m. Don't worry about bilateral breathing, you'll be fine without it. Learn to swim for now, you can go through your entire triathlon career without bilaterally breathing once.

x2

the name of the game is oxygen. The more you breathe, the more you get.

2015-04-09 11:01 PM
in reply to: #5106846

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I'm glad I read through this post because as a newer swimmer I thought to just keep up the long swims (every time hehe). I've not really looked at a plan and that's definitely my fault. No wonder my swimming has taken a hit these past few months! I've been taking a break from swimming and focusing on my running and biking for other reasons but thanks for the comments folks!
2015-04-10 9:34 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

To add to my earlier comment, while I'm relatively new to tri I had been swimming for fitness for a while before that. When I started swimming I was not strong at all. I was not concerned at all with training for an event, rather working on building my swim fitness and improving my technique. So what that entailed (for me) was working on things like breathing patterns, positioning, rotation, the catch and pull, etc. All the while I was slowly building my longest distance so that I could eventually swim a mile. By the time I entertained the though of doing a tri the whole "can I do the distance" question had long since been answered so it was only then that my focus shifted to a program with sets of various distance intervals and intensities.

So if someone feels that the swim is a weakness and just wants to get through it I'd probably say proving to yourself you can do the distance and getting to where you feel at home in the open water would be the primary objectives.

Side story: My approach to the swim is very calm. Yes, I'll do a proper warmup to prepare myself for the race but I avoid the typcial "pump yourself up" pre race stuff in favor of putting myself into a calm psycological state. At the start of a race I did last month they had all this hyper music going and a lot of people were all jacked up ready to sprint into the water. Total opposite of my approach. Whatever works for you!
2015-04-10 9:50 AM
in reply to: Gatornate

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Gatornate To add to my earlier comment, while I'm relatively new to tri I had been swimming for fitness for a while before that. When I started swimming I was not strong at all. I was not concerned at all with training for an event, rather working on building my swim fitness and improving my technique. So what that entailed (for me) was working on things like breathing patterns, positioning, rotation, the catch and pull, etc. All the while I was slowly building my longest distance so that I could eventually swim a mile. By the time I entertained the though of doing a tri the whole "can I do the distance" question had long since been answered so it was only then that my focus shifted to a program with sets of various distance intervals and intensities. So if someone feels that the swim is a weakness and just wants to get through it I'd probably say proving to yourself you can do the distance and getting to where you feel at home in the open water would be the primary objectives. Side story: My approach to the swim is very calm. Yes, I'll do a proper warmup to prepare myself for the race but I avoid the typcial "pump yourself up" pre race stuff in favor of putting myself into a calm psycological state. At the start of a race I did last month they had all this hyper music going and a lot of people were all jacked up ready to sprint into the water. Total opposite of my approach. Whatever works for you!

long continuous swims with poor form reinforce that poor form.  Breaking it up into shorter intervals allows you to work on your form and maintain good form.

2015-04-14 12:54 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

I haven't done a tri in many years, as my profile says, I'm trying to return to the sport at age 63. I have completed many races, all sprints....and, I was never a competitive swimmer. My most important piece of advice I could give a new competitor is not to skimp on the swim training. The best thing I ever did as a part of my training was to join a masters swim class with a coach. I had Donna as a coach, respectfully nicknamed the "Vince Lombardi of Masters Swim Coaching" I remember hanging on to the wall in between sets, pleading for 25's or 50's rather than 150's or 200's. The result of this training was that I didn't lose my fear of the swim, but I did develop a confidence that I could at least survive and overcome any of the challenges an open water swim can present. Examples are the 1/2 mile bay swim that was with the current...oh, last race day announcement was that the swim, today, was against the current.....when I paused, the current pushed me backwards...or the orange buoy in an ocean swim that I did a great job in sighting... I was told by the lifeguard on the exhaust belching jet ski ..."Where are you going? The buoy broke free after the first wave!!" When I paused, I was probably 50 - 75 yards further out in the ocean, all by myself, on what supposed to be a nice and short ocean swim with the current... My point is that an open water swim, even lake swims, can always present an unexpected event that makes a safe completion harder than anticipated. Unexpected events on the bike (rain) or run (heat) can cause issues, but at least you're not in the water. One of the thing I always noticed at the start of every race was the general consensus of a lack of training on this or that and how competitors always seem to lament being in the race....I paid my money, haven't trained, I'll do the best that I can....that's fine, except that I would never want to short my swim training. I didn't plan to get so long winded, but it is my best advice.
2015-04-14 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Gatornate To add to my earlier comment, while I'm relatively new to tri I had been swimming for fitness for a while before that. When I started swimming I was not strong at all. I was not concerned at all with training for an event, rather working on building my swim fitness and improving my technique. So what that entailed (for me) was working on things like breathing patterns, positioning, rotation, the catch and pull, etc. All the while I was slowly building my longest distance so that I could eventually swim a mile. By the time I entertained the though of doing a tri the whole "can I do the distance" question had long since been answered so it was only then that my focus shifted to a program with sets of various distance intervals and intensities. So if someone feels that the swim is a weakness and just wants to get through it I'd probably say proving to yourself you can do the distance and getting to where you feel at home in the open water would be the primary objectives. Side story: My approach to the swim is very calm. Yes, I'll do a proper warmup to prepare myself for the race but I avoid the typcial "pump yourself up" pre race stuff in favor of putting myself into a calm psycological state. At the start of a race I did last month they had all this hyper music going and a lot of people were all jacked up ready to sprint into the water. Total opposite of my approach. Whatever works for you!

long continuous swims with poor form reinforce that poor form.  Breaking it up into shorter intervals allows you to work on your form and maintain good form.

IMHO, there's nothing magical about canned workouts with shorter intervals. Often going shorter people think means going faster so the point of breakdown is still achieved and without proper rest the poor form creeps in sooner and sooner...  The key is proper pacing established via a test (e.g. CSS test) , proper resting, and monitoring strokes per length or using a tempo trainer.

I like the long swims, mental monotony is not exclusive to long swims, one can still work on form going long.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic distance training plan concerns Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Overlapping Marathon Training and Olympic Distance Training

Started by The Bearded Triathle
Views: 2021 Posts: 12

2014-12-31 11:45 AM d.wilk

Sprint Training Plan Concern

Started by benjooster
Views: 1006 Posts: 10

2014-05-22 12:12 AM AdventureBear

My Olympic distance training plan... feedback please

Started by abreakey
Views: 1094 Posts: 9

2012-06-08 7:39 PM bhctri

Train For Xterra Race Using Olympic Distance Plan?

Started by ENP
Views: 1337 Posts: 13

2009-11-04 9:03 PM Bioteknik

Olympic distance training plan question

Started by bcball
Views: 742 Posts: 2

2008-06-03 10:31 AM Aikidoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : July 19, 2009
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.
date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.

date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.