United States
EndorFun
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 44m 7s
Overall Rank = 49/1400
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/180
Pre-race routine:

ate wheat bagel, coffee, glazed donut and 34 oz of gatorade.
Event warmup:

10 min easy swim and stretching, plus 24 oz of gatorade and 1 salt tablet
Swim
  • 34m 42s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

AWEFUL SWIM! I began pretty good setting into a fast pace for around 200-300 YD and then I easy up on my rhythm. I was doing a good drafting job and even though the water was very choppy and visibility was hard I was setting a nice swim. I round the first buoy with a group of 15-20 guys. At that point we were swimming against the tide and it was getting hard to breath without getting slap by the waves. I kept moving and I took a pick at my watch at what I thought was around the half pint and I read 13:5x:xx something which meant I was doing a great job. I felt strong and not tired at all. THEN I screwed up! I was having trouble navigating and a couple of times I was following a couple of guys and we were going off course so I decided to drop’em and do my thing. I could really see the buoys but I saw a big orange thing in front of me and I began swimming towards that at a steady pace. After 3-4 min I looked at my watch and I was getting close to the 20 min mark and by then I was supposed to be rounding the last turn around and heading to the beach so I stop completely to find my way and it was then when I realized I was swimming towards the WRONG BOUY! Instead of heading towards the turn around I was heading to the last buoy on the way back to the beach, F*CK! So I had to get back in course and swim back to the turn around to avoid a DQ. That made me temporarily disappointed and to add to my frustration and already bad time the way back was the rougher part because the waves kept pushing us off course.
What would you do differently?:

I am going to do TWO open water swims every week if not I won't be competitive at all
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

slow but it was rainy and cold.
Bike
  • 2h 39m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.02 mile/hr
Comments:

After the swim I was down almost 5 min from my goal time and I figured the bike was the time to settle into a rhythm and to push a bit harder from what I did at Florida 70.3 and use it as a test to fine tune my power and test how much I can push without affecting my run too much. Exiting T1 I had to stop because I could not put my shoes on. (I forgot my tri shoes at home and I bought new ones at the expo and the straps are different). I lost some time there and then I was finally off. My HR was very high and began to settle into bringing it down and drinking a bit of Gatorade. I was shooting to settle into my 190-200 watts avg goal but with 5 min into the bike DISASTER (for me). Due to the heavy rain my Power Tap stop working and I had no data to gauge my effort. I obviously had no power, no speed, no cadence, no distance, no HR, no NOTHING! I kept asking any person around me for speed but it was very frustrating to be riding sort of blind. Eventually a group of 4 maybe 6 riders got close (no drafting of course and the proof is that we got visits by marshals more than a few times and no one got penalties) but we kept pushing passing and dropping back changing places. I had a feeling I wasn’t pushing to hard but since PE can be very misleading in the 1st half of the bike and particularly on that course I sat and spin as much as possible. I also had a moment in which I realized I have yet to get comfortable with my tri-bike because even though the fit is comfortable, I couldn’t feel the same power transfer from legs to pedals as I do with my road bike. (I guess due to the aggressive position) On our way back I realized I was falling behind my goal time but I wasn’t sure if it was because of the road conditions (rain most of the time, wet floor and VERY windy on the way back) or because I was below my power goal. On the final stretch I began to have negative thoughts because of this. I felt disappointed with myself and like I was letting my parents down. (Who came up to the US to cheer for me) I was so f*cking pissed that my PT was working, that I had to ride 56 miles blind. Good thing is that I followed my nutrition plan and that paid off on my run. On the last 5 miles this guy came next to me and began shouting at me bad words and claiming how I was drafting and blocking him most of the way back and bla bla bla! I was so confused because I had no idea what he was talking about I was just laughing in his face and he kept getting pissed. A marshal came next to us and warned HIM to drop back as he was drafting (LOL). He then passed me and said yet more bad words and that pissed me off. I passed him but first I told him: “Do you think you have enough left to hold onto my wheel?”. We pushed hard for the last miles on our way home and he was holding me close and of course he was feeling good, but what he didn’t know was that I was trying to making him burn energy because I knew I could smoke him on the run ;-)
What would you do differently?:

sell my stupid PT and get an ergo, SRM or PT SL.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

all wet yet again and been already behing my goal time by like 14 min I took my time. I was feeling negative and even thinking about quitting.
Run
  • 1h 25m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I exit T2 and I wasn’t sure what to hold on to. I was behind my goal, I was unmotivated and I knew I was out of my other goal (to finish top 30). Then I heard my Mom screaming my name, I turned my head and saw my parents cheering for me and I got goose bumps. The screaming was only done by two people, my parents, but their cheers meant so much for me that it felt that I was in a full stadium and the all the crowd was cheering for me. That’s how powerful it felt, and it was like a switch got tuned on in my head and I began to move fast. I then realized that the guy who was coursing at me on the bike was AHEAD of me! Oh my, oh my, I pressed on the pace and catch up with him within a few yards. He looked at me and STILL he was pissed, WTF? I told to myself: “Ok buddy I know how to be a smart ass as well!” I smiled, wished him luck and told him that he had NO chance to stay with me but he was more than welcome to try! I know that’s not very cool and all but I had enough of “Mr bad mouth” there. Anyway I kept moving and drinking coke/water every aid station and apparently peeing on myself, (YES on myself ;)) every 2 miles LMAO! I looked at my run splits and I was very consistent considering the hills on that course. At the turn around I figured I could easy up the pace a bit to meet my 1:25 half marathon goal. I was passing a lot of people and kept making some guys very frustrated as they kept asking me if I was on my 1st loop which of course I wasn’t. (I think I passed like 140 guys on the run) I was hoping to go under 4:40hrs at least at that point but after a quick calculation I realized that was out and for my slow bike and swim rimes so I could shoot for a sub 4:45hrs. I was just running trying to pass as many guys as possible to improve my overall place and only one guy came and passed me but I re-passed him again. By mile 10 I increased the pace and the last 1.1 I felt rejuvenated and ran all out for a whooping 5:38 or a 5:07 pace per mile.
Mile 1 0:06:39
Mile 2 0:06:20
Mile 3 0:06:20
Mile 4 0:06:22
Mile 5 0:06:43
Mile 6 0:06:41
Mile 7 0:07:43
Mile 8 0:06:39
Mile 9 0:06:37
Mile 10 0:06:22
Mile 11 0:06:57
Mile 12 0:06:42
Mile 13.1 0:05:38
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch and hugs from the parents ;-) I couldn't thank them enough for been such a good troopers and staying out there on ugly weather cheering for me. Spectating at a HIM is NOT fun as it is a long day and doing it when the weather is rainy and cold (for folks who live in Cancun) well it is just great. Thank you to my parents, they are the best!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

bad swim navigation and no data for the bike

Event comments:

I improved my time from last year by 12 min even though my swim time was slower (rougher conditions and poor navigation) my bike pretty much the same which I am sure I could have improved by AT LEAST 5 min and my run which improved by 12 min (1:37 last year and 1:25 this year) 99% done at low intensity training (Z1-Z2.)
Best advice I can give you to improve your running speed: BE PATIENT, work on building your base, be consistent and even though you should work at different intensities avoid spending a lot of time on high intensity training (Z4-Z5) and spent most of your time at Z1, Z2 and Z3. That mix will allow you to do it over and over and reduce your chances of injuries!
That and of course having a coach! I have a great relation and communication with him and I trust him 100% even though sometimes I act impatiently. I can’t imagine achieving this level without him. Thanks Kurt!

Last updated: 2006-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:42 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/180
Overall: 265/1400
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:39:52 | 56 miles | 21.02 mile/hr
Overall: 160/1400
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: Challenging course with hills on the first 12 miles then a nice flat/down 16 miles section, then you head back and you have to do it again but this time the 16 miles is flat/up and last 12 miles with hills.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:25:42 | 13.1 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 16/1400
Performance: Good
13.1 miles avg HR 162 (which is high zone 2)
Course: 2 loops with hills (2 challenging)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-25 10:25 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2006-08-25 10:31 AM
in reply to: #521835

Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Incredible run! I like the idea of a glazed donut for breakfast on race day, I might have to try that.

Very frustrating to have no data on the bike - my speed and cadence are always breaking and I'm still not used to it. Weird that the guy started yelling at you, it sounds like the race was getting to him. Sounds like good entertainment, at least!

Edited by danielle860 2006-08-25 10:32 AM
2006-08-25 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Amazing work Jorge! 16th fastest run of the day, that is just incredible...
2006-08-25 11:28 AM
in reply to: #521877

maine
Jorge,
amazing race and way to "put the wood" to that A-hole from the bike.

Your progress had been amazing and the most important think you do is think in terms of the "process" and not the "result" of every race. You will not win every one, and some will be bad, but if you are patient in improving over time you will be very strong. You have good genes and a good work ethic...it is a pleasure to work with you...

Kurt
pbmcoaching.com

2006-08-25 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
awesome race!!! you are one fast man even if you did have to peee on yourself to go that fast..... LMAO
2006-08-25 11:42 AM

Albuquerque, NM

That run was smoking!  Good job finishing strong and it sounds like you're right there to obtain the goals you've set.  Keep up the good work!

Send some mojo for my half IM at SOMA. 

2006-08-25 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Wow, what a race!!  Tough swim, killer 'blind' bike, and then a smokin' fast run.  All with your parents there (from Mexico?) to cheer you on...how wonderful is that!?!   

Great finish and congrats on your new course personal record!!

2006-08-25 1:32 PM
in reply to: #521967

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Didn't you know that you are drafting if someone is being pulled along behind you??? Because it makes YOU go faster and he has to work harder???

What a nimrod ..... good move on smoking him on the run!

4:44 ain't too shabby my friend, and having your parents there was huge. Congrats on yet another kick azz time on a tough day.

(21+ average without knowing anything about your speed/cadence/power ain't too shabby either).
2006-08-25 1:56 PM

Pro
Andover
Damn, Jorge... That is UNREAL!

Sorry to hear about all the trouble but glad you gave it to that wiseass in the end!
2006-08-25 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Jorge,You are, quite simply, Da' Man! Awesome race despite some pretty big obstacles. Congratulations!!
2006-08-25 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego

Dude seriously, your bike was awesome even with the issues. Run? GOOD LAWD!

2006-08-25 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Jorge- Your race reports just blow me away- they are not only brutally honest but extremely helpful & always "teaching"...I think that you really have found your calling as a coach!
To be at the top of the pack- with all the "issues" you had- and still be so hard on yourself & still be so fast...BTW is "glazed donuts" the new elite food ????
Glad your parents were there for the "boost"...mkaes me realise that no matter HOW good an athlete- always helps to have a cheerleader..
Congrats on your race...most of ice would die to do so well! On to your next challenge!!!!
2006-08-25 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Pound Ridge, NY

Jorge...you are one fast dude. seriously, man...those runs splits rock. you were still fast on the bike...just think how much more speed you have in the swim and the bike when it all works right! I'm glad you stuck with it and it seems you learned some important lessons about racing and yourself that will help you as you advance up the ranks of the elite.

great job and great rr!

and i have to now amend my RR bc i didn't thank my family for waiting the 5-6 hours in the rain for me. racing was tough, but spectating must have been brutal!! at least you didn't make your family wait long!

2006-08-25 4:49 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Top 50 in that field on an imperfect day, still amazing Jorge! Can't wait to see you put it all together. Maybe if you hadn't forgotten those shoes and had done that warm-up ride w/ Rob an I things would have been different. Wink

2006-08-25 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

What a great race!  I really appreciated your brutal candor.  It really is a teaching moment.  You taught me some things with your performance.  You had a challenging race, one that sounded a lot like my first Olympic.  You know the drill, crappy swim, poor navigation.  However, you did what I didn't, even though you struggled mentally, you pulled through and put in a really great race!  I on the other hand simply survived the race!  GREAT JOB -- You've been a great coach to me with your race report

It's also notable that you took time to acknowledge the support of your parents and other supporters!  While Triathlon in an individual sport, our "jockstrappers" really help us along when the time gets tough!  Your parents CLEARLY did that for you and you noticed!  That's AWESOME!   Greatness comes in recognizing properly those who got you there, and you certainly exhibited that! 

CCONGRATULATIONS on a SUPER RACE -- especially given all the challenges of the day!  You're a HERO in my book!

2006-08-25 5:24 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Great Race Jorge! Especially overcoming difficulties on the swim and bike to crush the run. That shows what you're made of... awesome job!

2006-08-25 5:26 PM

Champion
South Jersey
Great race report. I have to agree with some of the other posts in that your RRs are great teaching tools - we all learn a lot from reading your reports, your race game plans, your training logs, etc.

Despite the problems during the swim, the new shoes, the lack of data, and crappy weather, you still managed to do an awesome job! That run was amazing...and way to smoke that bike jerk on the run!!!

That's really awesome your parents were able to make it up to cheer you on. I hope you had a great visit with them. Welcome home.

-Lauren
2006-08-25 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Great job on your race!  And I enjoyed your race report.  Reading these always helps me learn things for future races.  What was up with that guy yelling at you?  He must have been confused about something....but sounds like you set him straight on the run.  Fantastic run by the way.  Congratulations!
2006-08-25 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Jorge, good race man, glad you beat loudmouth on the bike!!! Sweet run dude, keep up the good work!!!
2006-08-25 6:48 PM

User image

Pro
MA

UN-BE-LIV-A-BLE!!!!

You spent 3-4 min swiming BACKWARDS and still get 1:38/100 yd. 

Your run speed is just..... crazy!

What's up with some racers?  Swearing?  You swear when you push yourself, that's one thing.  You get pissed of someone for being faster than you, that's no sportmanship.  Hey, how did he do, by the way? 

And I guess you really have to develop that tri-diaper thing.  You're gross, man! 

Do you think you can talk my parents into coming over to jockstrap me?

2006-08-25 9:46 PM
in reply to: #522562

User image

Extreme Veteran
When I grow up I want to run like Jorge. Nice race dude. Very sweet. That family moment was awesome. Great RR.

2006-08-26 10:54 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
I agree with you, Jorge...having a great coach makes all the diffrence int he world. Congrats and I cannot wait to be your unwanted jockstrap again!
2006-08-26 4:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Just an inspiring race Jorge. You pushed through all of your problems and finished incredibly strong for a 70.3 race. Every race you get better and faster and reaching your goals of being in the top 10 will come.
2006-08-27 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

Fantastic race and wonderful race report.

You show us that when we get lemons -  make lemonade!!

2006-08-28 7:08 AM

Champion

49th!  Wow that is some smoking fast performance!  Good luck in the 70.3 championships!

Edited by max 2006-08-28 7:08 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed  

of 2