General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A question for the fish in the forum regarding swim anxiety Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-09 11:28 AM

User image

Subject: A question for the fish in the forum regarding swim anxiety
I have a friend who had a very bad open water swim experience a while back. He finished the swim but felt terrible the whole time and it turned out that he had pulmonary edema. Which explained why he felt so bad. Anywhoo he's a strong swimmer but still this is in the back of his mind and I'm heading out for an open water swim with him tomorrow. He's been swimming but not open water.

What I'm looking for is advice to give him. Not so much about swimming but more about getting and keeping his head in the right spot while he's in the water.

My thoughts are: stay positive and remember that you can swim. Those are my thoughts because that's what works for me with my swim anxiety when I get it.

I wanted to check if anybody else had tips or sage words that helped them get back to swimming confidently after a bad swim messed with their heads.

Thanks - Amy

2015-04-09 12:35 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

Subject: RE: A question for the fish in the forum regarding swim anxiety
Perhaps you could suggest that instead of swimming when you two go out, that he spend his time just hanging out in the lake. Float on his back a bit, have some fun, dive under the water a bit. In other words, tell him to go out there and have fun. Not to worry about swimming, or his stroke, or this, or that. . . just go out there and try to enjoy himself. The more comfortable he becomes, the less fear he'll have.

2015-04-09 1:20 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
In one of the more recent issues of Triathlete they noted to stay in a depth of water where you could swim comfortably without bottoming out, but at any time stand up and have your chest and head out of the water. So if panic sets in at any time, just stop and stand up. That'd be my advice. I think just knowing you could stop at any time would alleviate the anxiety tremendously.
2015-04-09 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

It starts way, WAY before getting in the water.  If his subconscious is dreading the upcoming swim, there's a good chance it'll be a miserable experience.  Similarly, if his subconscious is eager and positive, there's a good chance that'll happen as well.  

Ask your friend to visualize positive swimming experiences.  Today, tomorrow, in the car on the drive to the swim, changing clothes, standing on the shore, wading into the water.  Focus on the positive.  He needs to stop the instant his thoughts drift into negative territory (which is why it starts now, not just when he's standing in the water).  

Here are some examples of positive visualizations.  

Splashing in a wading pool as a toddler (or with a toddler).  
Blowing bubbles while holding a "tea party" at the bottom of the pool.  
Bobbing gently in the pool on a hot, summer, afternoon 
Floating on your back (I'd tell kids think of it as a "water bed") with warm sunshine on your closed eyelids.  
Floating in a tropical lagoon like a sea turtle floating over a colorful coral reef in the warm sunshine.  
Pretending you're a river otter playfully swimming under and around a submerged tree.  
Gliding effortlessly through the water like an Olympic swimmer (If you really watch them, they make it look effortless).  

2015-04-09 1:30 PM

User image

Master
The relationship between pulmonary edema and swimming is poorly understood and may explain unexpected death and drownings. I understand why he is concerned. I would make sure his heart is thoroughly cleared for swimming and consider having oxygen available if something does goes bad. Probably not reassuring.
2015-04-09 2:32 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Not bad advice. He did this already.

2015-04-10 10:07 AM
in reply to: #5106996

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sing? I always sing while swimming in open water.
2015-04-10 10:13 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by McFuzz

It starts way, WAY before getting in the water.  If his subconscious is dreading the upcoming swim, there's a good chance it'll be a miserable experience.  Similarly, if his subconscious is eager and positive, there's a good chance that'll happen as well.  

Ask your friend to visualize positive swimming experiences.  Today, tomorrow, in the car on the drive to the swim, changing clothes, standing on the shore, wading into the water.  Focus on the positive.  He needs to stop the instant his thoughts drift into negative territory (which is why it starts now, not just when he's standing in the water).  

Here are some examples of positive visualizations.  

Splashing in a wading pool as a toddler (or with a toddler).  
Blowing bubbles while holding a "tea party" at the bottom of the pool.  
Bobbing gently in the pool on a hot, summer, afternoon 
Floating on your back (I'd tell kids think of it as a "water bed") with warm sunshine on your closed eyelids.  
Floating in a tropical lagoon like a sea turtle floating over a colorful coral reef in the warm sunshine.  
Pretending you're a river otter playfully swimming under and around a submerged tree.  
Gliding effortlessly through the water like an Olympic swimmer (If you really watch them, they make it look effortless).  

This. Visualization is the key and mental training is a great tool for anyone, especially those who are struggling. Those are great visualizations and if he can get in water and PLAY (like the images) ... pool, shallow open water even better ... that'd be great too.

Some stuff here that's helped a lot of people (yeah, I wrote it ... but it's not nearly as bad as I am ):

Open Water Swimming: MAPS to Get Ready

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A question for the fish in the forum regarding swim anxiety Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dumb question regarding swimming sets

Started by KenInCa
Views: 701 Posts: 6

2011-10-03 10:50 AM ratherbeswimming

Performance anxiety/Pre-race jitters question

Started by blond6912
Views: 1150 Posts: 11

2011-09-27 4:08 PM KiterChick

First tri in 6wks, and lots of questions (anxiety)

Started by joeyg
Views: 887 Posts: 7

2009-04-02 2:49 PM trishie

Question regarding the swim distance.

Started by up2thechallenge?
Views: 953 Posts: 19

2009-03-10 6:52 PM jldicarlo

Gale Bernhardt's Book Question regarding swim workouts

Started by nuorder
Views: 744 Posts: 3

2006-02-22 8:19 PM nuorder
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 1
Good memories are crucial to your success in the water. Trying to swim laps before you are comfortable in the water is likely to reinforce your anxiety, so avoid the white-knuckle approach.