Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Apple Watch? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-10 2:28 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Apple Watch?

I took one for a test drive today, and I think I'm going to pick one up.  I've been waiting for a decent smart watch and this one seems pretty slick.  I'm not a big fan of buying Gen 1 stuff, but what the heck.  

Any of you taking the leap?

2015-04-10 2:37 PM
in reply to: tuwood

Subject: RE: Apple Watch?
Waaaaaay overpriced for what it does (which is not much).
Just my opinion though.
2015-04-10 3:15 PM
in reply to: MN_Mike

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by MN_Mike Waaaaaay overpriced for what it does (which is not much). Just my opinion though.

Yeah, it's really weird.  I bought an $800 watch that was just a standard watch about 15 years ago.  I never thought anything about spending that kind of money on my old watch, but now I'm sitting here going back and forth on a smart watch.

I honestly think it boils down to it being a piece of technology that goes down in value and wears out.  A good traditional watch will run for decades, but the 1st Gen Apple watch will likely be obsolete in 2-3 years.

2015-04-10 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Nope--don't think I could see the numbers, much less operate the buttons and figure out how to use it. Just don't want that much info from a watch. I have a Garmin and barely use it. Basically all I want is the time, chrono, and alarm functions; maybe the countdown timer once every few months. Happy with a basic Timex Ironman.
2015-04-10 10:53 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

I'll probably want one, but not in the very near future. Couldn't use it right now anyway, as it will require an update to iOS and there is no Jailbreak on a version that will support the watch. Deal-breaker without the JB, there's too many tweaks I'd have to give up. $350 is way more than I can swing too.

I'm hotter for a Garmin upgrade right now anyway. Probably going to sell my 910 as soon as I get a fresh one from Garmin and put a few more bucks toward a 920. (Had the barometer go out and it's out for exchange as I'm typing this.)

2015-04-12 6:12 PM

User image

No GPS, no ANT+

I wear a Breitling. It'd take a hell of a lot more than that to get mine off my wrist.

2015-04-14 7:43 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I want one but I'm too much of a chicken to buy the first-gen version. I look at the difference between the first and second versions of the iPad as evidence that I should wait for version 2.
2015-04-20 10:12 PM

User image

Pro

Starva came out with their Apple Watch app today.  So, you're golden.  

Have fun with it.  I'm happy with my Ambit 2.  I'd get a Fenix 3 (looks great, amazing features), but based on the reviews, Garmin is still working out the bugs.

2015-04-21 8:59 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro
Tejas
Fanboy here and I don't get it either. I think my iPhone does all the same except heart rate. Plus you need to be carrying the iPhone for all the neat stuff to work? I'll keep my timepieces and my electronic toys separate for now. Plus I don't have to put my automatics on a charger every day!
2015-04-21 9:02 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mdg2003 Fanboy here and I don't get it either. I think my iPhone does all the same except heart rate. Plus you need to be carrying the iPhone for all the neat stuff to work? I'll keep my timepieces and my electronic toys separate for now. Plus I don't have to put my automatics on a charger every day!

I'll be honest and say that I've cooled a little.  I was in the "definitely getting one" camp but now I'm shifting to the "i'm not sure" camp.

I wasn't too worked up about it needing the phone, but after watching several reviews online it appears very laggy whenever it needs to interface with the phone.  Fortunately I can't get one for several months even if I wanted to so I'll have a much better feel for them once they start shipping.

I might have to wait for Gen 2.

2015-04-21 9:03 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

I don't think that even apple knows how successful this may become.  it's a platform- which a lot can be done with.  I think they're counting on the developer community to come up with things to do with the watch that will make it amazing.  Right now- it's just nicely packaged computer on your wrist, with a nifty interface.

it's not a GPS sports watch... but can double as one if you have your phone.  This will be good for a lot of people that never would consider buying a GPS watch  (i.e. not us)

we shall see-

2015-04-21 9:08 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I thought this was a really good review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaC00homOiA

2015-04-21 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by morey000

I don't think that even apple knows how successful this may become.  it's a platform- which a lot can be done with.  I think they're counting on the developer community to come up with things to do with the watch that will make it amazing.  Right now- it's just nicely packaged computer on your wrist, with a nifty interface.

it's not a GPS sports watch... but can double as one if you have your phone.  This will be good for a lot of people that never would consider buying a GPS watch  (i.e. not us)

we shall see-

Whenever I start doubting whether this could eventually become someting amazing and game-changing, I remember seeing the iPad for the first time and thinking, "It's basically just a giant iPhone without the phone. Who would want that?" Meanwhile, 250 million units sold later...
2015-04-21 4:56 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

we shall see-

Whenever I start doubting whether this could eventually become someting amazing and game-changing, I remember seeing the iPad for the first time and thinking, "It's basically just a giant iPhone without the phone. Who would want that?" Meanwhile, 250 million units sold later...

lol, that reminds me of when I first saw the iPad.  I thought it was stupidest thing ever and laughed about it.  years later I think between everyone in my family we have 5 of them.  #embarrassed 

2015-04-22 12:34 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I love my iPad and thought it was silly at first too. I use the heck out of mine every day and really become a 'power user' when we take a trip.
2015-04-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

we shall see-

lol, that reminds me of when I first saw the iPad.  I thought it was stupidest thing ever and laughed about it.  years later I think between everyone in my family we have 5 of them.  #embarrassed 

Yeah, us too. Between my wife and son and I, we've also owned five of them altogether. One of us upgrades and passes the old iPad to the other spouse who passes their old one to the kid.

We still have a 2007-era Mac desktop that we almost never use. Any time I have to do anything on the iMac I feel like it's a giant pain in the neck. I have to walk ALL THE WAY UPSTAIRS to the office, turn the bloody thing on, wait all of 90 seconds for it to boot up, turn on the wireless mouse and keyboard, click here, type this, etc. etc. And don't get me started on having to print anything out. Oh the humanity...

(Thank you for watching another episode of "'First World Problems' With Jmk-brooklyn". Tune in next week when we'll be discussing how sometimes the ice cubes come out of the refrigerator door dispenser too fast and fall on the floor.)

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-04-22 2:28 PM

2015-04-22 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by MN_Mike Waaaaaay overpriced for what it does (which is not much). Just my opinion though.

Yeah, it's really weird.  I bought an $800 watch that was just a standard watch about 15 years ago.  I never thought anything about spending that kind of money on my old watch, but now I'm sitting here going back and forth on a smart watch.

I honestly think it boils down to it being a piece of technology that goes down in value and wears out.  A good traditional watch will run for decades, but the 1st Gen Apple watch will likely be obsolete in 2-3 years.

But a good quality watch may actually increase in value and will last for years.  Any electronic device will probably need to be replaced in a couple of years.  Look at phones.  I have a perfectly good S4, and now 2 years later I want the latest and greatest. So you really can't compare smart vs dumb.

2015-04-22 3:44 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by velocomp

But a good quality watch may actually increase in value and will last for years.  Any electronic device will probably need to be replaced in a couple of years.  Look at phones.  I have a perfectly good S4, and now 2 years later I want the latest and greatest. So you really can't compare smart vs dumb.

yeah, that's very true.  I think looking at this as a "watch purchase" isn't really what it is.  It's a technology purchase decision.

2015-04-22 6:05 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by velocomp

yeah, that's very true.  I think looking at this as a "watch purchase" isn't really what it is.  It's a technology purchase decision.

I guess it's all relative, but you aren't going to find many heirloom-quality watches for what the apple watch costs. unless you're planning to get the solid gold version, in which case, you've probably got a Patek for each wrist already.
2015-04-23 2:06 PM

User image

Pro

So- I was by an Apple store last night and spent 20min playing with the watch.

My first impressions:

1.  very nice packaging.  it's beautiful.

2.  smaller than I thought.  the larger 42mm version, does not look big on my (pretty small) wrist.  way smaller than my Suunto ambit 2S.

3.  the screen is beautiful.  bright, clear, vibrant.

4.  the user interface is really slick.  apple-slick.  this is truly where the watch shines.  Did I say it was slick?

5.  the $600 stainless steel/sapphire version with the polished bezel does really feel nicer and more luxurious than the $400 sport model.  The weight of the case (sans band) is 50g instead of 30g for the Sport version.  Not 'heavy' on your wrist- but definitely a different, stronger feel to it.  Guess it's more scratch resistant as well.  The silicon/rubber? sport watch bands are comfortable.  As are the leather bands.  Good product design.  Oh- they come in different sizes (the bands, that is).

everything is intuitive.  you swipe the screen and other choices come up for what you want to display, you push the crown to get back to the home area with all of your apps, displayed little icons which are easy to find and arrange.  Truly a brilliant user interface.  The few apple apps that were on the demo modes- such as the training one, are also clean and slick.  For a geek like me, I'm not giving up my GPS watch- which is a highly specialized training and racing tool.  But most people aren't like us.  It will make a great activity/training device- and hopefully motivate more people to stay active.  It's just hard to overstate the value of the apple interface.  I can't imagine how many design and software hours went into this.  Only apple could afford to develop such a thing.  I felt like I was using a macintosh for the 1st time in 1984.  'wow- this is fun, and obvious how to do everything!'

Really- for most of the things it 'does' right now, you're better off just using your phone.  I have no idea how practical or useful it is, or will be.  However, they've created a great little platform.

one downside:  one of the watches I tried on, that was running the demo program... froze on me.  yup- it crashed!  the employee tried to hold down the buttons or something to reset it... and even that didn't work.  So, apparently they hired someone from Garmin for their software team (ouch!   ).  This issue may be unique to the demo software, but if it isn't, you'll be hearing about it all over the internet.

I won't be an early adopter. 

2015-04-24 10:08 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

2015-04-24 11:34 PM

User image

Pro

The article says- the battery in the Apple Watch... is like all the other batteries that represent the latest in small high density battery technology.  1000 full cycles and it will still retain 80% capacity.

which part of that was 'interesting'?  it's the same kinda' battery that's in everything.  

2015-04-25 4:36 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

The article says- the battery in the Apple Watch... is like all the other batteries that represent the latest in small high density battery technology.  1000 full cycles and it will still retain 80% capacity.

which part of that was 'interesting'?  it's the same kinda' battery that's in everything.  

lol, thought it was interesting in regards to the lifespan of the watch.

2015-04-27 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Starva came out with their Apple Watch app today.  So, you're golden.  

Have fun with it.  I'm happy with my Ambit 2.  I'd get a Fenix 3 (looks great, amazing features), but based on the reviews, Garmin is still working out the bugs.

Thought I'd chime in on this. You were instrumental in convincing me to go with the Ambit over the Fenix 2 and I was very glad that I did!

however...

I have since moved to the Fenix 3 and it is flat out awesome! Tons more features than the Ambit, looks better, fits better for an everday watch, and I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. It's great to not have to plug it into the computer to download a workout. I just hit stop and 30 seconds later I am getting kudos on Strava. The widgets and notifications from my phone are great. My wife is really liking the tracking feature when I am out riding by myself. Software has been very stable and battery life is excellent. 

Just thought I would nudge you toward the Fenix if you end up looking for a new watch. The feature list blows the Ambit 3 out of the water, and since they started this Fenix with the 920 software, it was been much, much better than the launch of the Fenux 2. 

2015-04-27 3:03 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Aarondb4

I have since moved to the Fenix 3 and it is flat out awesome! ...

cool.  I really hope that Garmin is getting the kinks worked out of that watch, because as I've said many times.... I want it!  Glad to hear you're having a solid experience with it so far.  Keep us posted!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Apple Watch? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Terrible shows you watched because your SO watched shows you watched because your SO watched

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 1584 Posts: 25

2008-12-19 9:01 AM hamiltks10

Movies: Night Watch, Day Watch

Started by briderdt
Views: 1071 Posts: 6

2008-02-12 9:38 AM briderdt

Apple Announces new iPods

Started by Cheetah
Views: 826 Posts: 8

2007-09-06 10:02 AM puellasolis

An apple for The Mac

Started by The Mac
Views: 783 Posts: 17

2007-02-09 10:27 AM BAMBAM66

How many apples in a cup? Pages: 1 2

Started by MomX3
Views: 22217 Posts: 30

2018-10-03 1:36 PM Renee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix