General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to switch shorts in a half ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-11 10:04 PM

Subject: How to switch shorts in a half ironman
So I will be doing my first ever triathlon in less than a month, and it's a half ironman. I've tried tri shorts before, but for me, they don't have enough padding. I'd like to wear bike shorts for the bike and compression shorts for the run, but i've heard that half ironmans don't have changing tents. So i've considered wearing compression shorts under my bike shorts then just taking off the bike shorts for transition 2. Is this probably my best alternative, or is there anyway to change shorts at a half?

2015-04-11 11:22 PM
in reply to: bsqared

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: How to switch shorts in a half ironman

Just assume that you won't be able to make a full change. You might consider going with two tri shorts instead -- even doubled up, they'll dry faster than bike shorts during the ride.

2015-04-13 8:11 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
yeah i always wore a pair of compression short/underwear kind of things under my bike shorts. Ive seen ppl just drop trou and change too lol
2015-04-16 11:27 AM
in reply to: TheCuse

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have also worn a pair a compression shorts (Nike Pro) in several IM's.  Just wore the shorts under my wetsuit.  Slipped on normal cycling shorts in T1.  Removed cycling shorts and slipped on running shorts in T2.  Has worked great for me.  Practice a few long rides with whatever you decide to do to make sure it works out ok on race day.

Good luck.

2015-04-17 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
if that is the case then just run in the bike shorts also... no real changing rooms in a half
2015-04-21 11:29 AM
in reply to: cxk9758

User image

Cypress, Texas

I ware my Speedo Jammer swimsuit for the whole triathlon.  I am 170 lbs so I there is a fair amount of weight on the seat with out any padding but I seem to be just fine for a 3 to 3-1/2 hour ride and can run after a 3+ hour ride in the Jammer Swimsuit with out any problem.  I would hate to have to change shorts in the transition which is why I ware the swimsuit for the whole event, but If I couldn't get around it I would place a towel on the transition area and when I get there wrap it around my waste like a Lava Lava or Sarong then change the shorts from under the towel while standing up.  You will defiantly want to practice this to make sure you know how to tie the towel so it doesn't fall down and how to change the shorts with out flashing anyone.  When tied correctly (ask any Polynesian for tips is you need help)  you can tie it in 2 seconds and it will stay up all day long.  Others may have better suggestions on how to do this with out a changing tent, but that is what I would do.    

2015-05-14 7:57 PM

User image

Canyon, Texas
I've only done one HIM but BSL has port-a-johns in transition... you can change in them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to switch shorts in a half ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shorts for Ironman

Started by mancala
Views: 1476 Posts: 6

2010-08-10 2:14 PM cornchexs

anyone switch to Speedplays then switch back?

Started by Spleen
Views: 1687 Posts: 11

2010-06-16 9:58 PM TheEdge

Suggestions for tri suit/shorts for first Half Ironman

Started by kbunning
Views: 3688 Posts: 3

2010-03-21 2:07 PM KathyG

Shorts, shorts, shorts

Started by natcon96785
Views: 946 Posts: 2

2008-03-12 7:23 AM sgillen

Tri shorts vs Cycling shorts

Started by cobi
Views: 1591 Posts: 6

2005-02-28 12:16 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.