General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-12 7:49 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: Recovery week
I am for the first time trying to have a structured training plan. I am using trainerroad for bike and follow one of their plans religiously. My question is about recovery weeks. Seems everyone agrees that in your training you should have a progressive training load each week and then a recovery week every X amount of weeks. So I have bumped my training volume up a little each week and plan to have a recovery week next week. Should I feel obviously fatigued and be struggling in my workouts before its time for a recovery week? In other words, I've been training hard, but its not like I'm struggling and thinking "Man I need a break." I have been able to complete workouts fine and I have felt fine. So would you take that to mean "well you haven't trained hard enough to justify a recovery week." Or is that irrelevant and you should have a recovery week no matter what?

2015-04-12 8:48 AM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: Recovery week
Like you, I'm trying to structure my training more this year, and I'm including a recovery week (every 4th week right now). I don't think you have to feel 100% spent in order to "earn" a recovery week. The way I see it, you push your effort on your workouts. The recovery week is where your body is going to get the rest and adapt to your new fitness level. This sets you up to push to the next level once the recovery week is over. If you don't take the time to rest, your body never gets the chance to make the adaptation.
I also think the recovery weeks are very helpful to prevent "burnout." By the end of the easy week, I'm usually feeling well rested and ready to get after some more challenging workouts.
2015-04-12 9:04 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

nashville, Tennessee
Thanks. Maybe after the recovery week I'll realize the benefit and feel stronger. We'll see.
2015-04-13 8:09 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

Originally posted by tedjohn

Like you, I'm trying to structure my training more this year, and I'm including a recovery week (every 4th week right now). I don't think you have to feel 100% spent in order to "earn" a recovery week. The way I see it, you push your effort on your workouts. The recovery week is where your body is going to get the rest and adapt to your new fitness level. This sets you up to push to the next level once the recovery week is over. If you don't take the time to rest, your body never gets the chance to make the adaptation.
I also think the recovery weeks are very helpful to prevent "burnout." By the end of the easy week, I'm usually feeling well rested and ready to get after some more challenging workouts.

I definitely agree recovery weeks are very helpful to prevent "burnout". I'm training for my first HIM and I know after 3 weeks of hard workouts I'm ready for a recovery week. What do you do during your recovery week? I do a couple of swims and a couple of short easy runs, then add in some stretching and upper body workouts.
2015-04-13 8:12 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by mchadcota2

Seems everyone agrees that in your training you should have a progressive training load each week and then a recovery week every X amount of weeks.

Not everyone agrees on that.

Shane
2015-04-13 8:16 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

There's nothing special about the 3 week build / 1 week recovery training structure.  All that matters is giving your body time to recover and adapt to the training stress and a progressive increase in training stress over time.  Some amateur athletes seem to do best with 2 weeks on / 1 week recovery.  Some may do 5 days on / 2 days recovery.

With most of my clients, I use a combination of their regular life schedule, their actual execution of the planned sessions, and how they feel to determine the schedule.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery week Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Recovery week into week one

Started by everlong
Views: 945 Posts: 9

2012-02-05 2:39 PM everlong

Recovery week turns into unexpected rest week

Started by FELTGood
Views: 757 Posts: 3

2012-01-24 11:49 AM JZig

1st recovery week

Started by Bonyx26
Views: 543 Posts: 2

2004-11-04 10:24 PM Steve-

intensity on recovery week?

Started by DulcimerDoc
Views: 697 Posts: 3

2004-06-23 1:37 AM DulcimerDoc

Recovery week advice

Started by umbach
Views: 1221 Posts: 7

2004-02-25 7:29 PM umbach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : October 26, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : October 24, 2005
The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. The maximum volume is around 7 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.
date : May 9, 2005
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.

date : May 9, 2005
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.