General Discussion Triathlon Talk » resting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-13 8:40 AM

Subject: resting
been wondering about how much rest you should have during long term training

I usually train swim/cycle/run regularly, even when there is no race.

I got a 70.3 coming up in 3.5 weeks. The last 7 weeks I have been trying to follow a detailed training plan, it is the first time I have attempted to follow a proper one. I'm finding lately that I'm needing more rest than usual. 2 days in a row at times. and if still tired the 3rd day will have to be a light session. Or if the usual is training 5 times a week, may end up doing 4 sometimes.
With full time job commitment I find it difficult to follow a plan religiously.

Not sure how this will affect the race. However in the past i never missed a training session. i think it was too much and caused fatigue and tiredness, did me no favours in a race.

perhaps it is as simple as listening to your body?

2015-04-13 8:56 AM
in reply to: casebusy

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: resting
I can't remember the last time that I wasn't tired.

I occasionally take one day a little easier, doing only an easy swim or a light spin on the bike. I haven't taken two days off in a row (except for the days after A races) in years. It is pretty rare that I take even one day completely off (although I did have an unplanned day off last week after an especially long day at work-so I am somewhat rigidly flexible).

It has been my experience that consistency is the "secret" to long term triathlon success. If I start taking days off every time I am tired then my consistency goes down the tubes. I have resigned myself to training while tired, both physically (from training) and mentally (from lack of rest/sleep). I don't know if that is the right decision and I occasionally wonder if I might do better with more rest but I haven't tried it out yet
2015-04-13 3:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by casebusy been wondering about how much rest you should have during long term training I usually train swim/cycle/run regularly, even when there is no race. I got a 70.3 coming up in 3.5 weeks. The last 7 weeks I have been trying to follow a detailed training plan, it is the first time I have attempted to follow a proper one. I'm finding lately that I'm needing more rest than usual. 2 days in a row at times. and if still tired the 3rd day will have to be a light session. Or if the usual is training 5 times a week, may end up doing 4 sometimes. With full time job commitment I find it difficult to follow a plan religiously. Not sure how this will affect the race. However in the past i never missed a training session. i think it was too much and caused fatigue and tiredness, did me no favours in a race. perhaps it is as simple as listening to your body?

I am not sure what you have done in terms of volume when you weren't following a plan, but I am assuming that you are doing a lot more on the detailed plan that you were on the self trained plan.  The rule of thumb that I have seen is to only increase training volume 30% from the previous year.  If you have increased more than that you might need to scale things back.  

I personally am making the transition from running to Triathlons this year.  For the past several years I have made it a point to do one big race (running) every year where I typically will do a 3-4 month training plan that peaks at about 6 hours of running a week.  Last year I was a slacker and in August spend 2 months training for a local 5K peaking at about 3-1/2 hours of training a week then when right into a two month 1/2 marathon training plan that peak at a a whopping 4-1/2 hours of training a week.  I took 3 weeks off following the 1/2 marathon then started my triathlon training at 6 hours a week.   I spent those three weeks off after my half marathon learning about nutrition for endurance athletes because nutrition has always been my limiting factor in races over 16 miles long and I wasn't sure if I could due the full 70.3 that I had my sights on.  I made some needed changes to my diet and it was amazing.  On 6 hours of Triathlon I wasn't tied like I am when I am doing 6 hours of running in a week.  As I increased the volume to 7 and then 8 hours a week I likewise was not tired because my diet had improved.  When I hit 9 hours I wasn't tired but I was getting to the point that I need some recovery because I was getting residual soreness in my legs that wasn't going away (I was feel too rested and racing too much in training).  So another thing that my be causing you to be tired is your diet.  

After my 9 hours weeks I dialed back intensity by 10% and volume by 10% instead of going to 10 hour weeks as planned to continue my training. Dialing things back help a lot and I was able to get up to comfortably complete a 9-1/2 hour weeks after slowing down to let my body catch up with the volume increases.  

This weekend I took three days in a row off.  I am now on my taper for my race and so I wasn't too worried that I was out of town for the weekend and unable to   do any workouts.  When it gets close to a race I would rather err on the side of too much rest than too much training.  If you are getting close to your race (i.e. 3-1/2 weeks) if you aren't feel strong than you need to consider starting a major taper right away even if the detailed plan say to not start your taper for another week and a half.  The detail plan assumes that you are feeling 100%.  If you aren't 100% you will need more time to taper than the plan is probably calling for and should consider making adjustments.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-04-13 3:25 PM
2015-04-13 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm at exactly the same point in HIM training and not feeling like that. What I do notice is that I really need more sleep. I simply can't function on less than eight hours anymore, and some mornings it's hard to get up, whether it's (sob) 4:30 or I'm "sleeping in" till 5:30. I normally don't take days off (I do have a swim-only day on Monday, though, and it's almost 36 hours after my Sunday workout) and haven't felt the need to take a day off more than once or twice since January. (Have taken a few off due to unavoidable travel or work demands, though.) Maybe in your case you're pushing some of the workouts too hard, or the way you've set up your week isn't allowing you enough time for recovery? I found for myself (compared to the last two times I trained for a longer race) that doing fewer, longer sessions allows me to recover better. I'm on my feet much of the day at work, and double workouts during the work week were just sapping my energy. Now, except for strength training, which I don't push very hard and don't really see as a workout (just maintenance/injury prevention stuff and stretching), I only do one double during the work week.

That being said, I do feel less than 100% for many workouts, particularly swimming, which is probably because I do that after work. There's a difference between training fatigue and breakdown fatigue that can be hard to figure out. I tend to push through fatigue, unless I feel like my form is getting sloppy, or I'm actually getting sick, since pushing through fatigue is basically what racing is. If you're consistently feeling exhausted, might want to look at recovery factors such as diet and sleep, or even health issues like iron levels, as well as whether the program was just a bit too ambitious for your current fitness and other demands on your time and energy.
2015-04-13 10:42 PM

thanks for the responses. they are appreciated

some of the training on weekdays can be long. one day may take 2.5 hours, this will be a 1 hour swim in the pool. Then a gym session straight away, the gym session is a mix of treadmill runs and using weights non stop. as the weeks later progress the treadmill is raised to 4/5 % ramp. intention to make you a stronger runner. that same week would have done a 5 hour 30 min bike ride. So I guess longer hours will also have an effect.
i get 6 hours sleep per night, that will be a big factor also
2015-04-14 1:54 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That sounds like a really intense program. I've tried to limit my total training time on weekdays to less than two hours (usually just 1-1:30 of training in the morning, plus 30-40 minutes of strength or about 50 minutes of swimming on some days). 5:30 ride sounds a little long for a HIM. I can see the value of doing one or two rides longer than race distance to build confidence, but not this late in the game. If you are doing a 5:30 ride, it is probably leaving you too tired for quality running for several days. At this point I would start to modify workouts that are too taxing, and aim to hit each discipline regularly 3-4 times a week, while not wearing myself out so much from one individual day or workout that it effects other training for the week.

I've also used workouts from a plan that's sometimes a little too advanced for me (Intermediate HIM) as written, and sometimes just cut the distance, reps, increase the recovery, etc. a bit so it doesn't impact the rest of the week.

2015-04-15 4:19 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by wannabefaster I can't remember the last time that I wasn't tired. 

Sounds to me like a terrible way to go through life. Do your results show that it's working for you? Why isn't your recovery day and your regular sleep schedule sufficient to avoid such a situation?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » resting Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Count the rests - Don't count the rests?

Started by runningmon
Views: 1815 Posts: 22

2014-11-13 11:09 AM McFuzz

To rest or not to rest

Started by Batlou
Views: 1122 Posts: 8

2010-11-11 3:51 PM UWMadTri

rest days/rest weeks

Started by disturbed
Views: 2114 Posts: 14

2010-10-25 8:49 AM 1stTimeTri

When is a rest day not a rest day?

Started by divegirlrox
Views: 1411 Posts: 10

2008-04-29 8:59 AM chadtower

Rest Days??? Define "rest" please.....

Started by descasena
Views: 1326 Posts: 17

2007-01-10 9:39 AM joerigg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : May 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Is there Harm in Training Through Sciatic Pain at Rest?
date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?

date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Of course there’s the logical answer - REST. But you don’t want to spend the off-season sitting on your butt for weeks at a time. Why?
date : May 16, 2005
author : dara
So how does this “overreaching” differ from over training? It is a matter of degree and incorporating ample rest and recovery and sensible training progressions.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.