General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So now what?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-14 12:17 PM

Subject: So now what??
I finished my first Sprint Tri (Kemah Tri), and I'm hooked. I have my sights set on another one (Mammoth Lake Tri) but it is not until October. So now what do I do. I have been following a 12 week training regimen leading up to the tri. I believe that I over trained towards the end, and I'm currently suffering from hamstring tendonitis. So I plan to allow that time to heal.

My question for y'all is what do you do between tri's as far as training? I don't want to have to start over or get bored with the training, but don't have the time every week to divote to training regimen that I was doing in weeks 11 and 12.

Edited by paramedic701 2015-04-14 12:18 PM

2015-04-14 12:42 PM
in reply to: paramedic701

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: So now what??

Schedule another race or two between now and the October race. Even if its just a local 5 or 10k, this will help you stay motivated and engaged. Set goals for the race in October. Devise a plan of what you need to do to meet those goals. Work your plan. Stay active. Take a break from structured training if you need to, but start back in time to peak for October. 

2015-04-14 1:32 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Race more. There's about a million tris in Texas between now and October.
2015-04-14 2:14 PM

Well, if it becomes a lifestyle, you'll continue training and can certainly start racing more. Just keep up whatever volume you want. If the week 11 and 12 were too much, find a number that works for you. You could also think about doing just a single sport for awhile and then come back to the other two if you really don't want to do another tri until October.
2015-04-14 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
definitely let that hamstring issue heal up well.

so early in the season, don't be afraid to take some down time....and then start up again slowly.

if there is another race to fill in the timeline, great. if not, then just maintain your fitness as good as you can, and then ramp it back up as you get closer to the race.
2015-04-14 3:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
I'm not saying take this route, but this was mine:
Clear Lake Sprint 2012: The bug had bit... barely trained for this one.
After that, 3 years of nonstop training that has put been GREAT and painful, tons of leg injuries, a broken foot, neck pain etc.... Over the years the load has increases as I've become a better time manager and more focuses. IMTX is in 5 weeks or so!!!!
Mostly, just enjoy it! Have fun training so training isn't all training but something you really look forward to every time you do it. The cool thing about Tri's is that there isn't really a short shelf life on the sport. Just go enjoy the lifestyle, speed and performance will come.

Congrats on finishing your first race!!!

Edited by toodamnbroke 2015-04-14 3:06 PM

2015-04-14 4:25 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

And don't think twice about focusing on one aspect (e.g. biking) while letting the other aspects ramp down (but don't stop).  BT has some 8 week "Winter Maintenance" focused training plans that can be done and adjusted to suit your means.

Not sure what your strengths and weaknesses are.  Mine was swimming and biking.  I've spent quite a bit of time focusing on the bike and this resulted in a lot of time dropped in local sprints.

2015-04-15 9:20 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Donto

And don't think twice about focusing on one aspect (e.g. biking) while letting the other aspects ramp down (but don't stop).  BT has some 8 week "Winter Maintenance" focused training plans that can be done and adjusted to suit your means.

Not sure what your strengths and weaknesses are.  Mine was swimming and biking.  I've spent quite a bit of time focusing on the bike and this resulted in a lot of time dropped in local sprints.

+1

My thoughts exactly. I have done this both ways. When I first started I spent a lot of time cycling because I liked it the best and I needed to build up a solid foundation. Now I have a similar gap between races and am focusing on improving my running which is my weakness.

Set a goal for one of the three sports and focus on that for a month or two. As long as you are working hard, you can jump back into a structured plan a few weeks deep into that plan without a problem.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So now what?? Rss Feed