General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need ideas for protecting bike from rain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-17 6:19 AM

Subject: Need ideas for protecting bike from rain
Saturday is my first sprint. We are supposed to check our bikes in tonight. It's raining today and I'm wondering the best way to cover my bike overnight.

Thanks!

2015-04-17 6:25 AM
in reply to: cjprovost

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Need ideas for protecting bike from rain
you can cover it with a trash bag (that's what most do)

Or you could let it sit out there... it's going to get wet regardless unless you skip the swim Just use the right chain lube.
2015-04-17 7:41 AM

User image

Originally posted by cjprovost

Saturday is my first sprint. We are supposed to check our bikes in tonight. It's raining today and I'm wondering the best way to cover my bike overnight.

Thanks!

Use a wet chain lube.

2015-04-17 9:06 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Why bother? 

1) Its going to get sat on by you fresh out of a pond/lake/sea.

2) It might be raining during the event.

3) Its not going to do any harm.

2015-04-17 9:21 AM

User image

Exton, PA
If fresh rain water was the only thing that hit my bike I would very happy!

Think of the other things that hit it that are actually corrosive/harmful. ( sports drinks, road kill, pee, stones, uv light, ....)
2015-04-17 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

One night in the rain isn't going to hurt the bike.  Just take a towel to wipe it off the morning of the race.

If heavy rain was forecasted I'd probably take off my bike computer or at least cover it with a zip-lock bag. 

Mark

2015-04-17 11:25 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761 If fresh rain water was the only thing that hit my bike I would very happy! Think of the other things that hit it that are actually corrosive/harmful. ( sports drinks, road kill, pee, stones, uv light, ....)

x2.  Unless your bike is in danger of getting pooped all over by birds, then there isn't much of a reason to cover your bike.  Wet chain lube if you don't already use it.  Bikes are designed to be ridden in the rain.  The sweat you drip all over your bike is far worse.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need ideas for protecting bike from rain Rss Feed