General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting into a Ironman race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-18 7:34 PM

User image

, Louisiana
Subject: getting into a Ironman race?
How does one get into an Ironman race? everything is sold out and I understand, participants get first crack at next years races. I can handle the normal fees, but cant handle some of the $3000.00-$5000.00 charities price. Any advice would be soooo helpful. Probably going to do Austins 70.3 but really want the challenge of a full.
Thanks for any info.

2015-04-19 6:28 AM
in reply to: jareed58

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Subject: RE: getting into a Ironman race?
A lot of the popular races sell out on the 1st day of sign ups. Those races you either have to 1) be a participant in it already to get 1st dibs. 2) volunteer at it and then you get to sign up before the general public 3) wait in line all day the morning after the race as the general public signs up 4) wait by your computer till if/when it hits online sign ups and keep mashing the enter key and hope you get one of the available online slots.

There are also several races that dont sell out or take months to sell out

I usually volunteer. Gets you there a year in advance....can go ride a 1 loop of the course...get a feel for if its the race you want before you plunk down that kind of money and commit to the time
2015-04-19 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Some races sell out quickly, some don't sell out at all.  If you want to get into Arizona or Florida, best bet is to show up onsite and register.  AZ didn't even go on sale online this time, and FL sells out in a minute or two online.  Other races sellout quickly like Lake Placid but it takes hours and not minutes or seconds.  Others might take a few days or a couple of weeks (Tremblant, Wisconsin, Boulder, Chattanooga, Maryland).  Texas takes several months to sellout.  Canada, Couer d'Alene, Cozumel, Los Cabos do not sell out.  Muskoka is new and that's also still open.  Louisville did not sellout but the move to October should make it more popular.

2015-04-20 9:16 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Louisville did not sellout but the move to October should make it more popular.

2015 Louisville sold out in January.

2015-04-20 9:28 AM
in reply to: #5109156

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
There are 3rd party intermediaries out there as well. Endurance Sports Travel, run by Ken Glah, can sell you spots. More expensive than regular registration but cheaper than foundation spots (albeit without the tax benefit). No affiliation other than a very satisfied customer. They put together great IM travel packages in addition to selling race entries.
2015-04-20 10:06 AM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

, Louisiana
The third party like Endurance sports, are they reliable and legit? Sounds too good to be able to buy into a closed race the late in the year. Has anyone of you used these services, and what was your experience?

2015-04-20 4:03 PM
in reply to: #5109397

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
EST is completely legitimate. I've travelled with them twice and will be using them for IMChoo this fall. I bought my race entry from them as well. Ken Glah founded the company. He's a bit of a Kona legend and very well connected with WTC.

Great company. I'm so spoiled by the services they provide that I'd think twice about doing an IM they don't support.
2015-04-20 10:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by jareed58

How does one get into an Ironman race? everything is sold out and I understand, participants get first crack at next years races. I can handle the normal fees, but cant handle some of the $3000.00-$5000.00 charities price. Any advice would be soooo helpful. Probably going to do Austins 70.3 but really want the challenge of a full.
Thanks for any info.

Tahoe is still open...
2015-04-21 5:57 AM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

, Louisiana
Originally posted by Patrick E

EST is completely legitimate. I've travelled with them twice and will be using them for IMChoo this fall. I bought my race entry from them as well. Ken Glah founded the company. He's a bit of a Kona legend and very well connected with WTC.

Great company. I'm so spoiled by the services they provide that I'd think twice about doing an IM they don't support.

Thanks for the info, I will check them out, would love to do Arizona or Chattanooga.
2015-04-21 6:02 AM
in reply to: maddog95835

User image

, Louisiana
Originally posted by maddog95835

Thanks for any info.

Tahoe is still open...

8000 feet of elevation gain is beyond me finishing in 17 hours. The most hill climbing I get in Louisiana is an overpass now and then. Would love to do it in the future, after I finish my first IM.
2015-04-21 10:22 AM

If you are not stuck on a branded "Ironman" event, the Redman in Oklahoma City is a well run race and usually doesn't sell out until late.

2015-04-22 1:05 PM

User image

Thanks for any info.

Tahoe is still open...

8000 feet of elevation gain is beyond me finishing in 17 hours. The most hill climbing I get in Louisiana is an overpass now and then. Would love to do it in the future, after I finish my first IM.

The bike course has been changed again for this year. I'm hearing from those that have rode the new course that the elevation gain isn't nearly that anymore.
2015-04-22 1:41 PM
in reply to: maddog95835

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by jareed58 How does one get into an Ironman race? everything is sold out and I understand, participants get first crack at next years races. I can handle the normal fees, but cant handle some of the $3000.00-$5000.00 charities price. Any advice would be soooo helpful. Probably going to do Austins 70.3 but really want the challenge of a full. Thanks for any info.
Tahoe is still open...
The bike course has been changed again for this year. I'm hearing from those that have rode the new course that the elevation gain isn't nearly that anymore.

Hopefully it won't snow or the forest won't be on fire this year.

2015-04-22 10:00 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Patrick E EST is completely legitimate. I've travelled with them twice and will be using them for IMChoo this fall. I bought my race entry from them as well. Ken Glah founded the company. He's a bit of a Kona legend and very well connected with WTC. Great company. I'm so spoiled by the services they provide that I'd think twice about doing an IM they don't support.
Thanks for the info, I will check them out, would love to do Arizona or Chattanooga.

x2 on this recommendation.  And not just because of the race entry -- they really do a great job of taking care of all the little details / ground transport / mechanic / course scouting / etc, so you can just focus on racing.  I used their service for New Zealand and Australia and they work super hard at what they do.

2015-04-23 9:26 AM
in reply to: 0

jareed58... you have a misconception of charity events-- there is more than one way to do a charity event.. sometimes you pay the fee but other times you raise funds... you can still get into this year's Ironman Arizona through Smiletrain.. I did it last year and am doing it again this year.. I actually pay way less (like $100) to do the race through the charity.. you have to raise $5000 but trust me this is easy since there is a whole bunch of friends/ relatives/ Facebook pals who want a way to show you that they support your endeavor.. at the same time you are helping kids with cleft lip and palate around the world get their needed surgery.. 84% of what you raise goes directly to the kids.. plus the support at the race for you and family members is outstanding-- you can go to the Ironman Arizona website and you will see Smiletrain listed under registration-- only a few slots left...

Edited by sandl003 2015-04-23 9:27 AM
2015-04-23 5:49 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Originally posted by sandl003 jareed58... you have a misconception of charity events-- there is more than one way to do a charity event.. sometimes you pay the fee but other times you raise funds... you can still get into this year's Ironman Arizona through Smiletrain.. I did it last year and am doing it again this year.. I actually pay way less (like $100) to do the race through the charity.. you have to raise $5000 but trust me this is easy since there is a whole bunch of friends/ relatives/ Facebook pals who want a way to show you that they support your endeavor.. at the same time you are helping kids with cleft lip and palate around the world get their needed surgery.. 84% of what you raise goes directly to the kids.. plus the support at the race for you and family members is outstanding-- you can go to the Ironman Arizona website and you will see Smiletrain listed under registration-- only a few slots left...

You should just come out and say that you work for Smiletrain (you have their domain in your email address, according to another of your posts).

I don't mind supporting a charity but be upfront about your affiliation.

Edited by spudone 2015-04-23 5:49 PM

2015-04-23 7:14 PM

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I would agree about the charity. I am running in Louisville IM and missed the regular sign up and decided to go with the fundraising. I have to fundraise $3000 and need to have half of that by July 1 and all of it two weeks before. I almost almost at the halfway point already and haven't put much effort into it. It's helped me come up with some fun events that I might do and helps out a great cause while meeting some cool people that are also fundraising. If you don't mind getting out there and trying some different things to raise some money then it's not that bad. You'd be surprised how many people are willing to help you out when you explain to them what it is for and what you are doing.

Hope that helps! Good luck

-Cory
2015-04-24 9:50 AM
in reply to: wei5209

User image

Pro
Houston
These people who have no issue raising funds must have more generous and rich friends than I do. They make it sound so easy like they almost raise the funds by accident.
I have participated in a ride for breast cancer the last two years, I only need to raise $400 and it's like pulling teeth.
I cannot fathom the stress of raising thousands while IM training. If there is a race that sells out fast go the year before and volunteer. I was lucky to get into IMAZ '13 on the computer. I knew that wouldn't happen again so I flew in and volunteered last year to get in for '15.
May have to do that for Chattanooga.
2015-04-25 9:02 PM
in reply to: #5109156

I do not work for Smiletrain, I do volunteer for this charity because I have seen the good they do personally... Cleft lip and palate can be fixed with relative easy surgeries... The limiting factor is funds which we sometimes take for granted in the U.S.... Just like everything in Ironman training... If you say you can't before you try then it won't get done... Lots of different ways to generate funds and people like myself who have done it before can help...over 80 people did it last year, over 80 are doing it now...
2015-04-25 10:18 PM
in reply to: #5110843

For myself personally, raising money for charity with Smile Train was a huge fear of mine when I signed up for Arizona last year, my first IM. But I will tell you this, despite the stress, not only did I get the fundraising minimum, I raised $1,000 over. I would seriously do it all over again. I had never raised money before which actually was a huge help. And the great part, I raised about 85-90% with social media alone. The rest came from emails, phone calls and personalized letters I sent out. There's an article that came out recently written by Ironman about why people should sign up with a charity. I was surprised to find out that the charity program partnered with Ironman has only been around a few years, before that you were SOL pretty much if races sold out. The last thing I'll say which for me was the most important, my charity took care of my family on race day. Seriously that meant the world to me. I know I sound like I'm preaching but with all the negativity that I saw on this post about charities I want people to realize that I had an amazing experience!!
2015-04-25 10:55 PM
in reply to: #5110853

I also did IMAZ last year and signed up through Smile Train. I was nervous about raising the $5000 but actually raised more. What I had to realize was that all I had to do was ask people and followup with them. That was the biggest hurdle. I do not have friends with a lot of money and recieved donations ranging from $5 to $250. 90% of my fundraising was done through facebook. But not just posting it (although this did yield some funds) but it was directly asking people whether through private messages or tagging people. It is the direct ask that will do it but it takes courage to directly ask. I had plenty of people tell me "no" but they didn't stop being my friend or talking to me. And even after you ask and they say yes you need to politely followup. Sometimes there were periods of time where no one donated and people seemed to always say no and then times where it seemed everyone was donating...even people I didn't know. In the end the fundraising was about 10% of my concern in preparing for the race and the other 90% was training. You just have to step out of your comfort zone and be consistent. Happy to give additional advice if desired.

2015-04-26 8:20 AM
in reply to: msbriggs

User image

, Louisiana
How does the charity entry work? You commit to raising XXX number of dollars and that buys your race slot? What if you fall short? If I could not afford what is left due on the commitment, do you just not get a slot or are you legally bound to come up with the rest? When is the money due? Thanks for all the info!!!
2015-04-26 8:50 AM

I agree with everyone else on this Thread regarding the Charity entries. Full disclosure; I race (termed used very loosely) with SmileTrain, and have been doing so for a few years. In my opinion; it is one of the few that you see a direct impact from your dollars raised.

We all race Ironman for a reason; to set PR's, qualify for Kona, overcome obstacles in our life, etc. etc. What I (and almost 100 other people) have choosen to do is provide an immediate benefit to children who otherwise would be social outcasts in their country.

Raising money is daunting; but Smiletrain, HANDS DOWN, has one of the best support teams out there. You get assigned a single point of contact that helps you reach your goal and there are incentives well above a $100 Ironman race entry to keep you motivated. A full training plan, race day support, logistics planning, a community of people dedicated to the same cause, gear and swag, the list goes on.

I tell everyone that I meet that Smiletrain is a great way into Arizona for everything that they bring to the table for their participants. I have found that dedicating to 140.6 miles; ESPECIALLY FOR THE FIRST TIME; and making that known to everyone that asks, that the fundraising portion was not as hard as I thought.

Smiletrain or not; getting into these sold out races requires something more than hopefully getting a spot during open registration. A Charity partnership is a great way to do it and to provide lasting benefits in the process.
2015-04-26 10:34 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
For AZ, this past year I volunteered and then got to the sign up the next morning at 4am. There were about 20-30 or so people in front of me. Brought a chair, blanket and snacks. They opened the sign ups for volunteers at 6am and I was signed up and headed home by 6:30. It sold out on site this year, and as I was leaving I saw the HUGE line. Glad I got there early.

I know a few people who are doing the race via Smiletrain, and like others comments, seems like a great experience and something they would do again - very rewarding!

Good luck!
2015-04-26 8:11 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by runspingirl

For AZ, this past year I volunteered and then got to the sign up the next morning at 4am. There were about 20-30 or so people in front of me. Brought a chair, blanket and snacks. They opened the sign ups for volunteers at 6am and I was signed up and headed home by 6:30. It sold out on site this year, and as I was leaving I saw the HUGE line. Glad I got there early.

I know a few people who are doing the race via Smiletrain, and like others comments, seems like a great experience and something they would do again - very rewarding!

Good luck!

Same here but we showed up around 8am and walked right up, no line.

I have to say all these Smile Train fund raisers who only seem to post about fundraising feel very SPAMMY.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting into a Ironman race? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Why am I getting blisters in races?

Started by reid15
Views: 2471 Posts: 12

2010-09-19 8:25 PM leopluredon

"Powerbar Perform" New Drink for Some Ironman and Ironman 70.3 Races Pages: 1 2

Started by calimavs
Views: 11077 Posts: 48

2010-08-01 1:33 PM TriPatrick

Getting your calories in drink form during an ironman

Started by magik611
Views: 1664 Posts: 23

2007-07-10 10:47 AM dgunthert

Does two ½ ironman races equal one ironman?

Started by Irish Stu
Views: 1481 Posts: 9

2005-08-24 10:04 AM dgunthert

Getting Stoked for Race Day

Started by Motivated
Views: 1962 Posts: 20

2005-05-11 12:25 PM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : July 26, 2012
author : juliapurr
comments : 2
Learn what to do and what not to do during your taper. Learn how to taper best if you have multiple races on your schedule.
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?