General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting into a Ironman race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-27 6:37 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

Master
, California
Subject: RE: getting into a Ironman race?

Oh great now Smiletrain gets all their shill accounts to come spam this thread.  GG.

2015-04-29 9:06 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

, Louisiana
Going the route of volunteering for IM Texas on May 16th, and racing it in 2016. Going to do the HIM Austin in Nov. I'll be ready for a full in about 4 months, but will have to wait for next May. Does anyone ever do a full IM distance in training?
2015-04-29 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Originally posted by jareed58 Going the route of volunteering for IM Texas on May 16th, and racing it in 2016. Going to do the HIM Austin in Nov. I'll be ready for a full in about 4 months, but will have to wait for next May. Does anyone ever do a full IM distance in training?

Do you mean a race or just simulate the distance?

I've done multiple IM races in the same season but you usually want to pick one as your "A" race and build everything around that.

For just a big workout day, though, most people will tell you that full IM distance takes too much recovery time.  If you want a big day, it's better to do a swim and long bike followed by a shorter run (maybe 6 miles or so).  The run has the biggest impact on your recovery, so that's where you want to hold back.

This still gives you a chance to dial in your nutrition on the bike and figure out if you're biking at the correct effort level.

Edited by spudone 2015-04-29 1:56 PM
2015-04-29 8:17 PM
in reply to: jareed58

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by jareed58

Going the route of volunteering for IM Texas on May 16th, and racing it in 2016. Going to do the HIM Austin in Nov. I'll be ready for a full in about 4 months, but will have to wait for next May. Does anyone ever do a full IM distance in training?

Volunteering is awesome and everyone should do their share but there is NO need to volunteer for TX to sign up, it takes several months to sell out.
If you are ready for a full IM in 4 months you could do Redman in OCK September 26.
2015-04-30 8:11 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

, Louisiana
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by jareed58 Going the route of volunteering for IM Texas on May 16th, and racing it in 2016. Going to do the HIM Austin in Nov. I'll be ready for a full in about 4 months, but will have to wait for next May. Does anyone ever do a full IM distance in training?

I've done multiple IM races in the same season but you usually want to pick one as your "A" race and build everything around that.

For just a big workout day, though, most people will tell you that full IM distance takes too much recovery time.  If you want a big day, it's better to do a swim and long bike followed by a shorter run (maybe 6 miles or so).  The run has the biggest impact on your recovery, so that's where you want to hold back.

This still gives you a chance to dial in your nutrition on the bike and figure out if you're biking at the correct effort level.

I mean work up to doing the distance at home, where ever you regularly train. I know when I did a marathon, the longest distance I did in training, before the race, was about 18.5 miles. I did a few of them, but my regular long distance training was in the 15-16 mile distance. Just wondering if preparing for the Iron distance, people trained just shy of the full distance or made sure they could do the full distance before attempting the race.
2015-04-30 9:25 PM
in reply to: jareed58

Master
, California

Originally posted by jareed58
Originally posted by spudone

I mean work up to doing the distance at home, where ever you regularly train. I know when I did a marathon, the longest distance I did in training, before the race, was about 18.5 miles. I did a few of them, but my regular long distance training was in the 15-16 mile distance. Just wondering if preparing for the Iron distance, people trained just shy of the full distance or made sure they could do the full distance before attempting the race.

If you're doing all 3 in one day, pretty much what I said before: do a short-ish run otherwise the recovery time is too long.

But any one activity by itself?  At the peak, I might do a 5-6 hour bike ride and maybe 3 hours running on another day.  Swimming, some people like to do the full distance for confidence but it's not really necessary.

I'd suggest taking a look at some IM training plans and see what fits into your life and schedule.  Be Iron Fit by Don Fink is a book with some decent plans as a starting point.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting into a Ironman race? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Why am I getting blisters in races?

Started by reid15
Views: 2471 Posts: 12

2010-09-19 8:25 PM leopluredon

"Powerbar Perform" New Drink for Some Ironman and Ironman 70.3 Races Pages: 1 2

Started by calimavs
Views: 11077 Posts: 48

2010-08-01 1:33 PM TriPatrick

Getting your calories in drink form during an ironman

Started by magik611
Views: 1664 Posts: 23

2007-07-10 10:47 AM dgunthert

Does two ½ ironman races equal one ironman?

Started by Irish Stu
Views: 1481 Posts: 9

2005-08-24 10:04 AM dgunthert

Getting Stoked for Race Day

Started by Motivated
Views: 1962 Posts: 20

2005-05-11 12:25 PM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : July 26, 2012
author : juliapurr
comments : 2
Learn what to do and what not to do during your taper. Learn how to taper best if you have multiple races on your schedule.
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?