General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 'Over Training' starts this week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-20 8:51 AM

Subject: 'Over Training' starts this week
Hey guys (and gals),

So this week I'm biting the bullet and joining my local gym (local gym has an indoor track, lots of bike trainers, 1/2 mile jogging trail, and 25m lap pool) so I can really kick off my training; also means I lose my excuses if I don't feel like getting in a day's work.

So, my sprint is in September (gives me 20 weeks to train starting in May). My plan is to follow an Olympic distance training plan so that the distance doesn't kill me and I'm a little over prepared. I know this isn't a novel idea. Has anyone actually applied this theory before and had success? Thoughts?

-LaS.

2015-04-20 9:41 AM
in reply to: LiftAndShoot

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: 'Over Training' starts this week

That should be fine but be careful about ramping up the run too quickly.  You can get away with swimming and biking a lot but you'll increase the likelihood of injury if you ramp up the run intensity or mileage too quickly.  Good luck...you have plenty of time to get prepared.

2015-04-20 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

September is a long way from now.  When someone talks about training specifically for a race that's several months out I become worried about burnout.  If I were you I'd pick out a solid plan that takes you 10 weeks out from the race to start your focused training.  

For the time from now until then I would set up a basic skeleton that you aren't nailed to.  You'll spend the time doing things that you enjoy between now and when the sprint plan starts.  If you feel like swimming today, then swim.  Feel like biking tomorrow?  Go for a ride.  You'll get to do things you enjoy and build fitness along the way.  Then once your training plan starts, you'll be ready to really put some quality into the sessions.

2015-04-20 11:02 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by msteiner

September is a long way from now.  When someone talks about training specifically for a race that's several months out I become worried about burnout.  If I were you I'd pick out a solid plan that takes you 10 weeks out from the race to start your focused training.  

For the time from now until then I would set up a basic skeleton that you aren't nailed to.  You'll spend the time doing things that you enjoy between now and when the sprint plan starts.  If you feel like swimming today, then swim.  Feel like biking tomorrow?  Go for a ride.  You'll get to do things you enjoy and build fitness along the way.  Then once your training plan starts, you'll be ready to really put some quality into the sessions.

^^^ Agree- you have a lot of time from now til September. There is nothing wrong with following the Oly plan to prep for a sprint. one of my best sprints ever was a week after a HIM.

You may want to spend the next couple of months just focused on you weakness, or find some other events during the summer to work towards( charity bikes rides, 5k runs,...)
2015-04-20 11:38 AM
in reply to: mike761

Hey guys - thanks for the encouraging words and tips.

Here's my problem; I know myself well enough to know that if I don't have a 'plan,' I'm set up for failure. I'm the 'needs to be training FOR something,' type of person. Happened when I was working for my coaching slot, happened when I started weightlifting (umpteen years ago).

So I guess the question is; is there a non-deadline specific style of structured programming people use in the off season(s)?
2015-04-20 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by LiftAndShoot

So I guess the question is; is there a non-deadline specific style of structured programming people use in the off season(s)?

I make sure I get in certain key workouts.

Long run, long bike, intervals, pool, then the rest is gravy.

I do other goals in the off season, such as trying to get to a certain distance on the bike, or a century in under a certain time, take a route with way too much climbing, 10k et. etc. etc.

Gives me shorter term focuses which can help prevent burnout.

I also do more strength training further out from my A races as well, pretty sure it makes me a stronger, leaner, more resilient athlete.

I am a fan of having a large easy base, but as you get closer to your sprint, I'd get more specific to sprint distance training if you want maximum performance at that distance.

Olympic is pretty close and should work well, but you might leave a little speed on the table.

As said above, don't add too much too fast, and as weeks go on, you should probably add either volume OR intensity, not both, otherwise you might be asking for injury!

Good luck!

2015-04-20 12:22 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot Hey guys - thanks for the encouraging words and tips. Here's my problem; I know myself well enough to know that if I don't have a 'plan,' I'm set up for failure. I'm the 'needs to be training FOR something,' type of person. Happened when I was working for my coaching slot, happened when I started weightlifting (umpteen years ago). So I guess the question is; is there a non-deadline specific style of structured programming people use in the off season(s)?

This is my 2nd season doing tris and both times, I've been coming back from injuries.  I've found that what works is to get myself signed up for a race a few months out, then start building fitness until 10 weeks out.  I establish a structure of 6 days a week, 2 days for each discipline, and gradually increase time and distance for each. I also do regularly scheduled running races in the meantime to get used to the race vibe and to gauge how well I'm doing in that environment.

Here's a rough outline of what I've done:

I first started with 3 days a week, then increased by 1 workout/week until I was up to 6.  Last year, I jumped from 3 days/wk to 6 days/wk and really struggled the 2nd week.  My injuries really flared up and I had to take a week off before going back to it.  This year, I'm being more prudent; so far, so good.

Swimming, gradually increase distance as possible, generally by 100 yds./week.  Last year, my goal was just to finish so I worked on distance.  This year, I want to increase speed so I'm doing intervals where I really push the speed, then allow time for recovery.

Biking, gradually increase time by 5 min./week

Running start with walk/run intervals, 1 week for 4 min. walking/1 min. running twice, next week 3:30 walk/2:30 run, etc.  Each week, I do a shorter run (25-30 min.) and a longer run (40+ min), just gradually increasing both intensity and mileage.  When I can manage 1 min. walk/4 min. run, I switch over to just running and continue increasing time/distance.

Doing this kind of gradual ramp-up has worked really well to give me a good base for a training plan 10 weeks out.  Then once I hit 10 weeks out from the race, I'll switch over to a race-specific plan.  Last year, I was actually a bit of the scheduled workouts so I just increased from there, generally about 10%/week. 

You're welcome to take a look at my logs if you think that would be helpful.  Here's the link.

Good luck and have fun!!

2015-04-20 8:08 PM

Like someone else said, you should definitely hold off on your specific sprint tri training (your Olympic plan) and back-time it to your race. Personally I'd be doing a bit of a Build right now: sweet spot riding on the trainer (85-90% of FTP) and build mileage doing lots of EASY running, on rolling hills if possible. Think of it this way: the further off you are from your race date, the more your training should resemble the "opposite" of your race (you're doing a sprint, so your training now should be long and easy).
2015-04-21 12:16 PM
in reply to: mcstrangelove

Hey guys - question to follow up with this.

This'll sound a little out of left field, but my VO2 max really huffs. So, that said, I think my 'base building' plan should be largely consistent of developing techniques and developing my aerobic base. I'm also not going to stop lifting weights.

Those two things said; I'm thinking that I'll train 'tri style' until about 10 weeks out, but distances will be totally secondary. Instead, I'll focus on a lot of intervals and capacity building. Anyone done this?
2015-04-21 12:37 PM

User image

Personally I think you should take the opposite approach. Get into the "tri lifestyle" by scheduling 2-3 workouts of each discipline per week, plus your gym workouts. You don't necessarily have to look at distance but focus on time spent in each discipline.

I'm not sure what you mean by "my VO2max really huffs" but in general your plan should be building your endurance base. That's how you build the aerobic base.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 'Over Training' starts this week Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

looks like I delayed the start of my IM swim training by a week

Started by cstoulil
Views: 877 Posts: 3

2012-06-26 4:19 PM trinitwit

brand new, started training 3 weeks ago

Started by triathBrah
Views: 1059 Posts: 12

2012-02-19 2:20 PM AdventureBear

Training Plans for Multisport Athletes vs Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Gui

Started by jdevito20
Views: 2245 Posts: 7

2008-05-12 5:15 PM Aikidoman

Starting training program next week...question

Started by NomadicDawn
Views: 838 Posts: 3

2005-03-18 8:39 PM Ron

Started Training this week!!!

Started by Yellowk8t
Views: 701 Posts: 5

2004-06-16 10:53 AM DulcimerDoc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.

date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?
date : February 22, 2012
How to plan a week of triathlon training so that you don't end up inconsistent, burnt-out or sick.

date : July 19, 2009
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.
date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.