General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing a tri while on restricted medications Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-20 12:38 PM

User image

Orange, CA
Subject: Doing a tri while on restricted medications
If I am completely non-competitive and on HCG and Clomid, is there any harm in me doing a triathlon? I wouldn't even come close to competing and they don't give me any sort of competitive edge. They brought me from having the testosterone levels of a 110 year old man to those of a 70 year old man. I am 31.

2015-04-20 1:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Doing a tri while on restricted medications

Is there harm in you doing it?  Not really, I guess, depending on your definition of "harm."   Are you violating the rules?  Yes.  All depends on whether you are OK with that.  I sympathize with your plight, but IMO it's still cheating.  

Just my .02, since you asked.

Edited by ChrisM 2015-04-20 1:46 PM
2015-04-20 1:55 PM

User image

Pro

Lot's of people will care, lot's of people won't care.  In the end, IMO, it's your call to make.  One thing's for sure.....nobody is going to test you. 

I say go have fun.

If you happen to win an AG award or something I'd just say, "no thanks, I cut the course short on accident".  It's your medical issue.....nobody's business.  There are a lot of ways to do the right thing in life....but you only get one life.  If you want to do a triathlon then go do one.

Again....not everyone will agree.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-04-20 1:56 PM
2015-04-20 1:59 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Not cheating imo if you are prescribed them. If you start competing and knocking people of AG podiums I would contact USAT and find out about their medical exemptions. If you find out from them that it is not allowed in any way I would just let the race directors know after if you placed to pass you over.
2015-04-20 2:00 PM
in reply to: Gloomba

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
If you're not racing for the podium / prize money then there is no issue. Go for it.
2015-04-20 3:09 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Left Brain

Lot's of people will care, lot's of people won't care.  In the end, IMO, it's your call to make.  One thing's for sure.....nobody is going to test you. 

I say go have fun.

If you happen to win an AG award or something I'd just say, "no thanks, I cut the course short on accident".  It's your medical issue.....nobody's business.  There are a lot of ways to do the right thing in life....but you only get one life.  If you want to do a triathlon then go do one.

Again....not everyone will agree.

If you are no where near podium I would agree with LB, go have fun and do the event. Yes it is against the rules so you are cheating, and if by chance you hit podium you should talk the RD about Dq'ing yourself.

The other thing to think about is whether any medications you are on will effect the way an EMT would help you in case of an accident. You should probably discuss that with your DR, if so talk to the RD before the event and let him know what's going on.

2015-04-20 7:18 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Gloomba If I am completely non-competitive and on HCG and Clomid, is there any harm in me doing a triathlon? I wouldn't even come close to competing and they don't give me any sort of competitive edge. They brought me from having the testosterone levels of a 110 year old man to those of a 70 year old man. I am 31.

I think you are over-thinking this.  Your medical issues are YOUR medical issues and nobody's business UNLESS you happen to podium,  If you podium, you broke the rules so withdraw yourself from the competition.

Get a RoadID so if you have an accident the first responders can rightfully become aware of your condition and medications.

Go for it and have a good time.

Edited by k9car363 2015-04-20 7:45 PM
2015-04-22 4:48 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Orange, CA
Thanks for the input guys. I don't mind being a letter of the law rule breaker, but I dislike cheaters.
2015-04-22 5:55 PM
in reply to: Gloomba

, Idaho
Definitely do triathlons without any worry.

If I was you, I would actually call/talk to the RD before signing up for the race (if the race is smaller). I would tell her/him that I have a medical condition that I need medication for (if you're wiling to post what you're taking here...I'm assuming you would be ok telling a RD in confidence), and that you need to be taken out of consideration for any awards. I would take care of it ahead of time, instead of worrying about having to approach someone after the race. If you're in an event where you don't have a snowball's chance of podium, then don't worry about it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing a tri while on restricted medications Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help me do proper squats with restricted flex

Started by douginoz
Views: 1671 Posts: 3

2010-05-20 1:44 PM lvthgme

Tri training and depression medication

Started by ersnyder3654
Views: 1115 Posts: 18

2009-11-19 7:23 PM SpeedAgent

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1646 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Restricted Breathing

Started by slowone
Views: 793 Posts: 5

2008-03-27 9:19 AM bhoover10001

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1842 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
Some blood pressure medications will not allow you to get your heart-rate up into the proper exercise zones. Learn why and what you can do about it.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : March 6, 2007
comments : 0
Joint and muscle pains are a known and reported side-effect of Tapazole, and are not particularly dose-related or known to be caused by a particular action of the medication.
date : November 27, 2005
comments : 0
When dealing with athletic performance and medication usage, there are three additional questions that must be considered.