General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I need help... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-20 4:16 PM

Subject: I need help...
So I am not new to triathlons per say... I have been the support crew for my family my entire life. I am daughter of an original Ironman from 1978. I have been overweight most of my life and about seven years ago my dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and he made a bet with me that I lost and had to participate in a sprint triathlon. I did not know how to swim and had not been on a bike since I was twelve. But I did it...barely...my dad taught me to swim and bike and my run is more like a shuffle. I was almost last. Since then my dad past away (the first of the originals) and I did several more sprints in his honor (still very overweight). Even though I have now lost over 100 pounds and am in the best shape I have ever been in I am still not in Tri-shape. I am usually the largest person at the races and If I am not last off the bike I am last on the run. I want to not only get better I want to be able to finish and not be last or the back of the pack. I am slow in every event but consistent and you won't find anyone with a bigger heart than mine. I really need a trainer but being new to the Houston area and not having money to pay someone I thought I might turn to some of you for help.
The most I have done is an Olympic distance in Peachtree City, Ga. (and really they let me finish because I knew the race director). I want to finish a half Ironman in honor of my dad but I have to be able to make all the cut off times.... And I am behind almost every tri-athlete out there....

2015-04-20 7:20 PM
in reply to: Bonnie Wilson

User image

Subject: RE: I need help...
Hi Bonnie,

I completed my first triathlon this weekend, but I have been a fitness trainer for the last ten years and an aquatics trainer for twenty + years. A couple things come to mind after reading your post. 1) A lot of people go to the gym regularly and log miles walking, jogging, etc. but don't really make a lot of headway on weight. many things can contribute to this but two that I believe are critical are diet and they way you approach your workout. I always recommend that people undertaking a change in their physical abilities first seek a consult with their doctor to address cardio vascular and general health as well as testing for thyroid functioning. This helps with a piece of mind that you have a stable platform to begin working with.

Diet is probably the area where most people can see the most benefit across the board in the shortest amount of time. If you drink soda, even diet this is an area that can help decrease weight very rapidly. Generally a person who stops drinking soda and replaces it with water can see 10 lbs of weight loss in a month with no other changes. This may or may not be applicable to you, just talking in generalities. focus on eating healthier meals by avoiding fast food. Try to focus on eating healthier alternatives avoiding habitual snacking. This is something I still battle daily. I try to eat a solid breakfast with a light lunch and a supper that is somewhere in between. I like to snack through the day and it is a difficult habit to break. I primarily stock fruits and vegetables so that when I do snack it is something that is healthier than potato chips and dip. Again, these may not be applicable to you, I'm just talking in generalities from my own personal experiences.

Exercise! My ex-wife struggled with her self-image and would go to the gym religiously 4-5 days a week and showed no physical manifestation of change. I went to the gym with her and it suddenly became clear. She would jog 1-2 miles each day, but she did not push herself to be faster or to run longer. Likewise when she would do other workouts they were always to comfort level. She did the same routines day in and day out. Your body needs to be challenged in order for physical change to manifest itself. I recommend training by heart rate. General rule of thumb is to take 220 minus your age and this establishes your recommended maximum heart rate. This so a 40 year old would have a recommended maximum heart rate of 180 beats per minute. If you can keep your heart rate at about 80% of this it is a good baseline for your workouts. 144 would be 80% and so 140-160 is a good starting place to achieve a training effect to start a physical transformation. As your body becomes more conditioned, you may be able to increase your training heart rate. Basically if your heart rate is below the 80% margin you aren't really kicking in your metabolism. I also will alternate the workout that I do. I do actual bike, stair climber, treadmill with varying inclines and speeds dictated by heart rate and I also will run 2-3 days a week. This change up keeps your body in a constant state of transition and will really fuel your metabolism. Start with relatively short workouts and gradually increase them and push the envelope. By pushing a little further each week you can really see some dramatic physical changes in your abilities and in your physical body.

Safety note! Always talk to your doctor before embarking on a drastic change to your workout regimen. everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for you. Hope this has been helpful.

2015-04-21 10:07 AM

User image

Champion

Welcome to the site!  Have you ever followed a training plan for these races?  I'm not sure if all you need is a little structure.  Maybe even a low cost over-the-internet coach (several on this site in the forums and our own online coaching area) could be just enough to get you to the next level.

2015-04-21 1:06 PM
in reply to: Ron

I have never followed any type of training schedule... My dad was more of a just do it kind of guy and I have just faked my way through it... I swim until I die...bike till I die and shuffle/run till I die...then on race day I just finish.
2015-04-21 1:10 PM
in reply to: sdalcher

Thanks so much. A few things... I do have doctor approval and I am as healthy as I can be... so that's nice. I have really bad knees for caring so much extra weight for so long so biking and running is a true struggle. I am sure the point of intensity is right on. I will look into it and see what I can do about that and maybe hire a trainer to help evaluate those things for me. Thanks again.
2015-04-28 6:54 PM

Hang in there, Bonnie! You are attempting more than 99% of people ever will so just remember that. And keep it up!!

Nick

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I need help... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fat body in Memphis needs help

Started by Khitan
Views: 607 Posts: 6

2006-01-27 9:54 AM oceanannie

First triathlon in May and I need help!

Started by docswim24
Views: 1070 Posts: 6

2005-03-10 8:27 AM Ken

Hello-need help!

Started by corant28
Views: 964 Posts: 6

2004-03-23 5:06 PM Ron

DeKalb needs help

Started by huskietns14
Views: 1349 Posts: 9

2004-03-05 12:54 PM dhlundblad

Need help w/ first road bike.

Started by DMan
Views: 1128 Posts: 7

2004-02-03 8:56 PM scvb13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.
date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.