General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racine vs Steelhead? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-20 4:54 PM

Subject: Racine vs Steelhead?
Hi all. I have searched the threads and could not find any recent posts comparing these two races. Anyone care to share pros and cons of each and which one they prefer and why?

Thank you!!

2015-04-20 9:12 PM
in reply to: iluvlucy1117

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Subject: RE: Racine vs Steelhead?
I can only speak to Steelhead as having done it twice and worked traffic control five others. Good bike course on mostly smooth roads, some are rough but not teeth chattering. Mostly flat with a few rolling hills, all intersections are covered by police who do a good job. The run is some residential and some Whirlpool HQ campus. It's not bad, a couple big hills, one you repeat twice. The finish is right along the beach with Lake Michigan in view, it's pretty cool. It's a very family friendly area with a lot to do. Good restaurants, wineries and craft breweries (Greenbush is absolutely the best) all within a short drive.

The only con I can think of is the swim. Chances are slim but it has been cancelled twice in the past 11 years due to rough water. Most times its fine but this Michigan so it can change in a minute.

A friend did Racine and said she'd never go back because the bike course was too rough. Just her opinion.

Hope that helps.
2015-04-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: jgs733

User image

Extreme Veteran
I can only speak to Racine for what it's worth.

I did Racine two years ago (extremly rough swim with 4ish foot waves, with around 200 not getting on the bike or finishing the bike because of the water conditions) That being said, I loved the race and location. I drove 20 Hours to race at Racine and if my wife would have allowed it I would have gone back last summer or would be going this summer, but she runs things. The roads were a little rough, but I think that has to do with what you are use to. We have a ton of chip seal here in Texas so I'm use to worse conditions than most. The other thing is that the roads are not really bad throughout it is more so in town heading out and returning. Also it is not constant bad roads it is expanison joints in the road that are the problem and can jar you on the bike. The run is through neighborhoods, with people outside with sprinklers and cheering the runners on. Going out and coming back on each lap you have Lake Michigan in View and it was awesome in my opinion. Like I said, I've never done Steelhead, but would gladly make the 20 hours drive back to do Racine again if I had the chance.
2015-05-02 1:49 PM

I have done both a couple of times. They are both great races. If I had to pick just one I would probably pick Steelhead. The roads for the Racine bike are very rough. I also like the run at Steelhead more. Just my $.02!
2015-05-03 10:50 PM

I did racine last year (never done steelhead). The water was nearly perfect, just slightly on the cool side. However, the water can turn on a dime as I've heard from other friends and other forum postings. I've experienced this with my OWS in the Chicago side of Lake Michigan. One day it will be totally calm and next day there will be massive swells.
The roads are bad at the beginning and at the end. The bulk of the roads are fine, but it is not a fun way to finish your ride. I did see a lot of water bottles, hydration kits, etc. on the course. My friend lost his behind the seat hydration kit from all the bumps.
The run wasn't bad. Mostly through the suburbs with decent cheering from the locals in front of their house. It does start with a brutal uphill climb, but for the most part flat.
2015-05-10 4:23 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

I can only speak to Racine for what it's worth.

I did Racine two years ago (extremly rough swim with 4ish foot waves, with around 200 not getting on the bike or finishing the bike because of the water conditions) That being said, I loved the race and location. I drove 20 Hours to race at Racine and if my wife would have allowed it I would have gone back last summer or would be going this summer, but she runs things. The roads were a little rough, but I think that has to do with what you are use to. We have a ton of chip seal here in Texas so I'm use to worse conditions than most. The other thing is that the roads are not really bad throughout it is more so in town heading out and returning. Also it is not constant bad roads it is expanison joints in the road that are the problem and can jar you on the bike. The run is through neighborhoods, with people outside with sprinklers and cheering the runners on. Going out and coming back on each lap you have Lake Michigan in View and it was awesome in my opinion. Like I said, I've never done Steelhead, but would gladly make the 20 hours drive back to do Racine again if I had the chance.

I was there that same time and it was SO CRAZY. I was terrified and actually tried to flag a lifeguard but they never saw me and I just swam on. I finished and had a pretty good finish time for my first HIM, but it was certainly the scariest thing I've ever done in my entire life. However, my friend was there last year and sent me a pic of perfectly CALM water. I would sign up again, but I can't say I'd sleep well the night before. It was calm on Sat and on Sunday was like an all out hurricane. I am sure you thought the same. Yikes! Have never done Steelhead but am intrigued!

2015-05-10 4:24 PM
in reply to: jgs733

User image

And, otherwise, I thought Racine was a cake walk. FLAT, lots of turns on the bike but nothing crazy, no real hills that I recall, and the run was breezy and cool due to the wind coming off the lake. I felt great aside from that swim. I didn't think the roads were too bad, but I live in Iowa and ride crappy roads all the time, too.
2015-05-11 9:18 AM
in reply to: bigjeepn90

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by bigjeepn90 I have done both a couple of times. They are both great races. If I had to pick just one I would probably pick Steelhead. The roads for the Racine bike are very rough. I also like the run at Steelhead more. Just my $.02!

I've also done both, and would recommend Steelhead over Racine, for pretty much the reasons outlined above.
I really didn't like the Racine bike course, but I thought the Steelhead course was beautiful.

I've written race reports on both, which go into further detail.

2015-05-12 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Racine was my first HIM (many years ago)...I almost turned back in because of the swells, but managed to finish. They must have cut the course short, because my time there is still a PR and I sucked at swimming back then. I have done Steelhead twice (once swim was cancelled) and am signed to do it this year. Really looking forward to it. Southwest Michigan is a great place. I only live about 90 mins from Racine, but will gladly travel the extra few hours to race Steelhead.
2015-06-08 6:13 PM
in reply to: runninirish

User image

RACINE!!! Esp. if you are a strong/fearless swimmer. I raced in 2013 when the water was a bit on the wavy side, but I felt like a total badass when I got out of the water! The only issue I had was a lack of aid stations on the bike course, however, I think this is true of most 70.3s (vs. IM races), so make sure to bring extra H20/ nutrition. The bike course was flat and fast, the run was all residential, so great crowd support throughout, and only has one hill to speak of. I vote Racine!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racine vs Steelhead? Rss Feed