General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Training & Losing Weight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-20 9:55 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas
Subject: HIM Training & Losing Weight
I'm in Week 13 of the BT 20 Wk. Training Program for a 70.3 race - I've gone from 173 to 162-64 (ish) depending on the day. I've leaned out a lot and am probably in the best shape of my life. I'm loving the training and everything that has gone into it - the question I have is for those who have gone through this transition process of losing weight. It's great and all, but now all my clothes just hang off of me. My shirts are to big, my belts don't hold up my jeans, etc. Granted, its a good problem to have, BUT before I go out and buy a whole new wardrobe...

Is after the race, and training volume goes back down to 5-6 hrs per week instead of the 8-10 - will my weight go back up? Should I buy new clothes or tough it out until after the race? I don't want to go out and buy a whole size smaller wardrobe for it not to fit in a few months.

Will I stay a smaller size? What did you all do?

Thanks!

2015-04-20 10:07 PM
in reply to: jayhawk_sean

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: HIM Training & Losing Weight

your body will follow the lifestyle you give it.  

it will have no choice.

Sounds like you're doing amazing.  I say you sign up for another 70.3- that'll keep your volume up.  

2015-04-20 10:21 PM
in reply to: jayhawk_sean

Originally posted by jayhawk_sean

I'm in Week 13 of the BT 20 Wk. Training Program for a 70.3 race - I've gone from 173 to 162-64 (ish) depending on the day. I've leaned out a lot and am probably in the best shape of my life. I'm loving the training and everything that has gone into it - the question I have is for those who have gone through this transition process of losing weight. It's great and all, but now all my clothes just hang off of me. My shirts are to big, my belts don't hold up my jeans, etc. Granted, its a good problem to have, BUT before I go out and buy a whole new wardrobe...

Is after the race, and training volume goes back down to 5-6 hrs per week instead of the 8-10 - will my weight go back up? Should I buy new clothes or tough it out until after the race? I don't want to go out and buy a whole size smaller wardrobe for it not to fit in a few months.

Will I stay a smaller size? What did you all do?

Thanks!

My training volume doesn't diminish greatly. It may change a bit e.g surfing instead of riding, but I still try and keep active when not training for a specific event or in the off-season. Just watch what you eat & drink, that's the biggest contributors to weight gain, especially beer. I normally drop 2kgs or so leading up to a big race and the it comes back on again after and then stabilises.
2015-04-21 12:01 AM
in reply to: #5109619

User image

Extreme Veteran
Take it from me.

Buy some new clothes, but keep the old ones.

Be comfortable now but cover your bases.

Don't get a whole wardrobe just yet, but a few key pieces and see what happens.
2015-04-21 5:55 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by dfquigley

Take it from me.

Buy some new clothes, but keep the old ones.

Be comfortable now but cover your bases.

Don't get a whole wardrobe just yet, but a few key pieces and see what happens.

This ^^ I bought some new slacks at the peak of my training and they are very snug now even though I'm still training, just not as hard.
2015-04-21 7:36 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

If you keep eating like you're training for a HIM you will probably gain some weight.  Just adjust your food intake to your activity level and you'll probably stay about the same size.

2015-04-21 12:12 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Elite

I have the opposite problem as a woman--I have gained about 10 pounds since starting my Ironman training in January.   I have made peace with it knowing my body will do as it will do to prepare for the task at hand.  I fully expect once my volume drops after the IM that I will lose the extra weight (I hope!).  Not so much fun buying clothes in bigger sizes!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Training & Losing Weight Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Weight training for swimming with free weights?

Started by b2run
Views: 1267 Posts: 5

2013-02-06 12:00 AM AdventureBear

Pretty lost how to incorporate weight training.

Started by powerman
Views: 3997 Posts: 21

2011-05-05 8:40 AM powerman

AM I losing weight or valuable training muscle

Started by FormerFitnessPro
Views: 1604 Posts: 12

2010-08-06 8:03 PM FormerFitnessPro

weight training and gaining weight

Started by mjrizon
Views: 2479 Posts: 4

2013-11-12 1:26 AM ultralifeshop

Lose weight after run

Started by steven
Views: 1279 Posts: 6

2004-06-19 9:31 AM darylljsmith
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : January 13, 2011
author : KenMierke
comments : 0
Learn the principles on how to lose weight and keep it off. These 10 commandments will help keep you at a healthy weight for life.
date : June 29, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on losing weight during half Ironman training, high sugar fruits to avoid, and the Paleo diet.

date : February 23, 2009
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : February 16, 2009
author : mikericci
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.

date : January 18, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.
date : June 5, 2006
In spite of blaming metabolism for your body type or holding your genetics at fault, anyone can lose weight.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
My main concern is obviously the running but my priority is weight loss. I really need any advice on how to get ready.