General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight gain with triathlon training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-21 12:39 AM

Subject: Weight gain with triathlon training
Hi all

I am a spinning instructor and overall quite fit. I started doing weight and body weight functional training last year and the kilo's just fell off and I looked really good, body fat dropped with about 10%.

My goal this year is to finish a half ironman so now I have started doing only cardio everyday and now I am gaining weight and loosing muscle.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am training between 7-9 hours per week and my eating habits are the same.

Please help??

2015-04-28 1:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Weight gain with triathlon training

Don't know if you're male or female, but this is exactly what happens with me.  I'm currently training for a June Ironman (my first) and racing a Half Ironman this Saturday.  I'm up a good 10-12 pounds over where I prefer to be when I'm not endurance training.  It's frustrating, but I have come to the conclusion it is my body's way of dealing with the stress and preparing for the next training session.  I wish the weight looked more muscular but unfortunately to me it just looks like chub! I've made peace with it--I feel strong and know this is the body that will get me through these big races.    This is apparently a pretty common female reaction to endurance training.

Edited by ingleshteechur 2015-04-28 1:13 PM
2015-04-29 3:33 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Weight gain with triathlon training
I know there is an old joke in my running club that people who train for the marathon will gain 10 lbs when one of there goals is to lose weight. (I was no stranger myself)

I think this is because couple key issues
1) Many people increase there carb intake as % of overall calories and for me that causes weight gain. I know people who recommended 60% of there diet from carbs but really a lot of your training comes from zone 2 which is burning 50% carbs and 50% fat.

2) We think we burn more calories when we train than we do. I heard this at a nutritional seminar someone was excited about going to have milkshakes every week. For avg person running 5 miles burns 500 cals. Having a 1000 calorie drink after will make you gain weight. My Saturday morning long runs many people drink enough Gatorade that they may gain weight over the run. best old saying is weight lose happens in the kitchen.

3) we increase our works outs so we feel more hungry which leads to over eating.

4) we will continue to eat like we training even on our off days.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight gain with triathlon training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gaining weight while training for a tri!

Started by fleetfeet_ch
Views: 2161 Posts: 11

2009-06-17 10:49 PM piscis18

Weight gain from training?

Started by JBS
Views: 1264 Posts: 18

2006-09-18 8:17 AM chirunner134

Tri training causing weight gain

Started by prr88
Views: 873 Posts: 4

2005-12-29 1:22 PM misanthropic777

Gaining Weight from Training

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 1021 Posts: 6

2005-07-26 12:20 PM TH3_FRB

training but gaining weight?!?!

Started by runningslug
Views: 853 Posts: 2

2005-04-22 10:23 PM nuke_angel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 25, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Although you cannot change your genetics and your tendency to fidget, you can boost your calorie intake. Here are five tips to help you bulk-up healthfully.

date : December 22, 2011
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : August 26, 2011
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : May 3, 2005
Do women inevitably gain fat with menopause? If weight gain is not due to the hormonal shifts of menopause, what does cause it?