World Triathlon Corporation
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 34m 8s
Overall Rank = 481/1454
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 66/227
Pre-race routine:

So even though this was the first race of the season, I had plans to shoot for a new PR. I had been trying break the 6 hour mark since my first half in 2013 and I figured NOLA was the perfect chance before the rest of my season really kicked off so...

Headed to the race early because they didn't do early bike check-in due to weather. Although traffic was heavy, we still got into Transition in plenty of time to get my bike and gear set up. My suggestion is to either mark yourself or purchase Tri Tats so you don't have to go through body marking in the morning....
After getting everything set up, it was time to relax a little, eat a bonk breaker and hit the bathrooms. NOLA had a good amount of potties both in the transition area and around it so I didn't have a long wait.
Event warmup:

Long walk from transition to the swim start, so that was basically my warm up. As my start time drew closer, I pulled up my wetsuit and did some stretches to loosen the arms.
Swim
  • 28m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is a great place to swim for newer folk. The time trial start means that there is less bunching of people. Despite all the pre-race hype and other posts I had read, I didn't find the water any worse than other locations that I've raced before. The water isn't clear, but you are still swimming in lake water, so why would you expect it to be clear?
What would you do differently?:

I had my best swim ever, so I wouldn't change a thing.
Transition 1
  • 04m 28s
Comments:

Very long run from the swim exit to T1. I think I truly only spent 2 minutes (or less) getting my bike gear on and out. Most of the time was running in so be prepared...

I was feeling great coming out of the water because I had taken a peek at my watch and saw the time. I couldn't believe how fast I swam, I just knew it was going to be a good day.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 48m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.95 mile/hr
Comments:

The course overall is very nice, the initial road is a little bumpy, but otherwise, the only issue is the old bridge that you have to cross twice. Make sure to get off your seat for that one! I think there could have been another aid station along the way and they could have offered some food, but I managed just fine with my own nutrition and I didn't run out of water, so perhaps I'm just being picky.
I went into the bike hoping to have a 3 hr ride, which would have been my fastest to date (I have always been a terrible biker), but was completely floored to come in under 3. Even though I had invested most of the winter on bike training, I still didn't think I would see that kind of improvement. At this point, I knew that a PR was inevitable!!

Although I definitely saw great improvement on the bike, I did suffer down the 5 mile stretch along the canal. Not sure if that was due to potential undertraining and I was just getting tired right when we hit the windiest stretch or not.
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Came into T2 on a high because I now knew that all I had to do to break 6 and get a new PR was to run 13.1 miles in 2:34 or less. There is something relaxing about knowing your goal is essentially accomplished.
That being said, I decided to still give the run what I had and see just how well I could crush this course!

This was a good transition for me. I am not one of those guys that can get out of shoes and jump off the bike, but I still know this was a tight turn around for my skill level.
Run
  • 2h 09m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

So the run out was good. The sun came out and the temperature was rising, but there was a great head wind which definitely helped keep me cool. If you run this race, do not bitch about running into the wind, you WILL miss it when you turn around...
My plan was to run between aid stations and walk through them taking in water, gatorade and ice. Love the ice, take as much as you can, it really helps because the run is a sauna.
I wanted to keep a 9 minute pace, but this really fell apart when I hit the turn around. Funny thing, that headwind that felt so good, does absolutely nothing as a tailwind. My pace started to drop and my 8:50 pace dropped to a 10:00 pace.
I was able to find that adrenaline surge when I finally got up to the top of the bridge again and knew that I had only one last mile! I pushed the pain down and ran in that last mile with everything I had left.
I came up the the finish shoot and saw several of my friends and my wife and that gave me enough for one last push. I crossed the line with a time of 5:34:08! I had crushed my previous times!!!

Not really sure what I could have done to combat the heat and humidity. I live in Kansas City and we never got temperatures high enough to prepare my body for April in NOLA
Post race
Warm down:

Sadly, my legs gave out after crossing the finish line and I had to be helped into the medical tent for an IV. I will say that after receiving 2 bags of fluid, I felt great!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat on the run. I basically became dehydrated despite having drank everything possible during the run. I also had electrolytes and salt tabs, but my body just wasn't fully acclimated to the heat.

Event comments:

This is a race that I would highly recommend for anyone looking for their first IM experience. NOLA puts on a great race and the course is very forgiving.
Do not bother staying downtown, because the race is about 10+ miles away and that can make for a stressful drive in the morning.

Last updated: 2015-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:53 | 2112 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/227
Overall: 261/1454
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: The course was a zig-zag pattern back and forth across the marina. NOLA uses a time trial type start with 8 people at a time jumping off the dock. The marina itself was very well protected, so mostly calm water and no current. Despite all the hype, I thought the water wasn't any worse than other places that I've been to.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:48:25 | 56 miles | 19.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 76/227
Overall: 418/1454
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course is basically an out and back. Although the course map shows flat, be prepared for the bridge at the very beginning, it's nice and steep and you get to do it again at the end of the course. Heading out, we had a slight tail wind (9mph or less) and the course was mostly smooth roads and fairly flat. There are a couple spots that you cross a bridge, but I thought they mostly provided a nice change and opportunity to pick up speed and rest those legs! Sadly, once I made the turn around mile 25 it was time to pay the piper. Although the winds were still minor, it was now a headwind for the majority of the ride back. Again, we lucked out and the winds were slight until we reached the canal (~ mile 50). Turning onto the canal road felt like entering a wind tunnel! The winds picked up to ~15mph with gusts even higher. Suddenly it was all I could do to pedal 16-17mph and I had been averaging 21 up to then. Thankfully you head back up the bridge and turn back with the wind for the final 1.2 mile cruise back into T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:09:46 | 13.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/227
Overall: 375/1454
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back along the shore line. Mostly flat, but you do cross the drawbridge (twice) and a couple of smaller overpasses. One very important note, there is no shade for the entire course!!!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-04-21 2:12 PM

User image

New user

Greensboro, North Carolina
Subject: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

2015-04-21 3:18 PM
in reply to: #5109802

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

Congratulations on the new PB! Great job and awesome that all your winter bike training paid off! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

Started by sesh
Views: 6449 Posts: 21

2009-04-10 5:54 PM draykus

Started by Trail_Runner
Views: 3075 Posts: 12

2009-04-07 2:31 PM Trail_Runner

Started by aplohris
Views: 2304 Posts: 5

2009-04-07 4:20 PM LazyMarathoner

Started by aintaround
Views: 1680 Posts: 1

2009-04-06 1:57 PM aintaround

Started by mammatri's
Views: 3214 Posts: 13

2009-04-09 9:11 AM mammatri's
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.