General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for the bike experts re: tire size Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-22 9:14 AM

Subject: Question for the bike experts re: tire size
I am a big Clydesdale guy and have been using my stock 23mm tires pumped to 120psi. This was fine for sprint tri's on mainly nice roads. The roads for my first Olympic were horrible and I was totally beat up at the end of it. I had the MS150 coming up the next weekend and decided I would buy some Continental 4000s in 25mm, pump them to 110psi and see what happens.

I had read all the warnings regarding making sure your fork can handle the extra width. I mounted the tires, put them on the bike and had plenty of clearance width wise on the fork but noticed that there was very little clearance at the top of the tire where it goes under the fork. I could see light through there and the tire spun freely so I thought I was ok.

We only did half of the MS150 so I did around 70 miles with the new setup. I thought everything was fine but last night I finally brought the bike in to clean it up (got poured on during the drive home). I noticed some squeaking as I was rolling the bike and tried to spin the front wheel. It was definitely rubbing. I took the wheel off and could see where it had been rubbing on the top of the fork (see picture).

I have no idea why the position of the tire changed unless my weight caused the wheel to seat more deeply in the fork drop out.

So now down to the questions...

When I put the wheel back on after cleaning, I have a little play in the dropout. Instead of seating it all of the way in, I pulled it up a bit and locked down the quick release. Is this safe and will it hold? I didn't have time to take it for a ride but will probably put it on the trainer tonight and see if it moves.

If that is not safe, is there such thing as a spacer I could put on the fork drop out to pull the wheel away? I am thinking at most 1mm, maybe less.

(20150421_185044.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150421_185044.jpg (1780KB - 8 downloads)

2015-04-22 10:09 AM
in reply to: houtexan

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Question for the bike experts re: tire size

Does your front fork have little "cups" into which the nuts on either end of the skewer need to be seated?  If you try putting in a shim of some sort between the bottom edge of the fork and the skewer, you definitely want to make sure that the nuts on either end of the skewer are solidly and securely seated within the cups when you flip the cam to fasten down the wheel.  As far as what to use, I'm not sure.  I've sliced up old tubes and used small strips of those to shim items for mounting on my bars, but that wasn't in any sort of load bearing capacity.

Maybe you could find a 23 tire that gets reviews for providing a kinder ride?  It probably wouldn't hurt showing what you've got to somebody at your LBS and see what suggestions they have.

2015-04-22 11:00 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

GP4000s is a unique tire in that its a bit taller than wider, one of the attributes as to why it's good aero wise when new. Different tire, less psi, or a shim of some sorts all may work.  I personally wouldn't put it one without a shim if you need to make some clearance.

2015-04-22 12:27 PM

User image

Exton, PA
I would switch back to 23's.

Best option is to use conti 4000S in a 23 which actually measure at about 24-24.5.

2015-04-22 12:41 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by mike761 I would switch back to 23's. Best option is to use conti 4000S in a 23 which actually measure at about 24-24.5.
Good point.  Perhaps use 23c up front and the 25c on the rear.

2015-04-22 2:52 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

It's like the late-80's/early-90's all over again! (Bikes of that era tended to have very little tire clearance, especially in the chainstays.)

Anyway... The tires will stretch and open up a bit over time due to the stress of the air pressure within. Not dangerous... unless you don't have enough clearance to begin with. If you could only see daylight between the fork crown and the tire, you'd get the abrasion even if the tire didn't grow a bit -- every piece of sand and grit the tire picks up will sweep by the crown and sand it away.

Definitely go back to the 23 up front. You likely can run your pressure a little lower -- 120 is pretty rock hard on 23s even for a clyde.

2015-04-23 8:54 AM
in reply to: briderdt

Thanks guys. I will go back to a 23 up front and play with tire pressure a bit.

I do have a follow up question. The fork is carbon fiber. Why does it look like polished aluminum under the paint? I would expect it to be black all the way through.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for the bike experts re: tire size Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Tire Size - Quick Question

Started by Far Left Texas
Views: 760 Posts: 2

2011-04-23 6:41 PM Av8rTx

Tire size questions...

Started by yogatri
Views: 871 Posts: 5

2010-04-11 10:10 AM pschriver

Tire/Wheel size question

Started by RVachon
Views: 1192 Posts: 3

2010-01-04 10:31 AM RVachon

bike experts - help me with Kuota roadie sizing....

Started by ChrisM
Views: 3449 Posts: 9

2009-03-10 8:17 AM jdwright56

MTB Road Tires - Quick Size Question

Started by PhilE
Views: 1489 Posts: 3

2007-04-26 5:55 PM jimbo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : November 5, 2008
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?
date : November 5, 2008
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?