General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramping Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-22 1:59 PM

User image

Subject: Cramping
I know there have been a lot of threads on this already but after my first tri of the season (Olympic) last weekend I'm a little worried heading into my next one in 2 weeks. Here's the quick DL of what happened. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. Note all times are approximate (from my Garmin) as race results aren't up yet.

Took 1 Gel about 15 mins before the start.

1. Had a great swim (27 mins, 1:36/100 yd pace). It was my first time ever swimming in a wetsuit (rented) and I felt like I had floaties on my hips. Because of this I kicked more than I normally do in the pool.

2. Felt great for the first 10-15 miles of the bike then started to feel like I was really getting tired. I was also getting passed by this point which sucked. I had 1 bottle with an energy drink and another with water. I decided not to take the gel I had on me because my abs were cramping and the energy drink was pretty sweet and I didn't want to overload with sugar. Towards the end of the bike I was cramping up but I rode through it. Average cadence was low, around 70.

3. Run was one of the worst I've ever had (8:47 min/mile. I usually average around 7:40 in training). I was cramping very badly and had to stop twice to stretch. I drank water and Gatorade at every aid station but it didn't help. My body was finished working out so every step towards the finish line was a painful one.

With my next race next weekend I'm wondering if I should take more gels in on the ride and/or cutout the energy drink. I'm also wondering if maybe I just wasn't fit enough. I thought I was but then again I've never cramped like this in any of my training.

2015-04-22 2:36 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Subject: RE: Cramping
Originally posted by TXTriRook

I know there have been a lot of threads on this already but after my first tri of the season (Olympic) last weekend I'm a little worried heading into my next one in 2 weeks. Here's the quick DL of what happened. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. Note all times are approximate (from my Garmin) as race results aren't up yet.

Took 1 Gel about 15 mins before the start.

1. Had a great swim (27 mins, 1:36/100 yd pace). It was my first time ever swimming in a wetsuit (rented) and I felt like I had floaties on my hips. Because of this I kicked more than I normally do in the pool.

2. Felt great for the first 10-15 miles of the bike then started to feel like I was really getting tired. I was also getting passed by this point which sucked. I had 1 bottle with an energy drink and another with water. I decided not to take the gel I had on me because my abs were cramping and the energy drink was pretty sweet and I didn't want to overload with sugar. Towards the end of the bike I was cramping up but I rode through it. Average cadence was low, around 70.

3. Run was one of the worst I've ever had (8:47 min/mile. I usually average around 7:40 in training). I was cramping very badly and had to stop twice to stretch. I drank water and Gatorade at every aid station but it didn't help. My body was finished working out so every step towards the finish line was a painful one.

With my next race next weekend I'm wondering if I should take more gels in on the ride and/or cutout the energy drink. I'm also wondering if maybe I just wasn't fit enough. I thought I was but then again I've never cramped like this in any of my training.

I've been having cramping issues with my lower back but I think its mainly a core strength issue... Sounds to me like you went too hard in the beginning and bonked on the bike. Also your hydration could be better.. What energy drink are you taking? Is this like a red bull/monster or are we talking SYS, Skratch, tailwind??
2015-04-22 2:45 PM
in reply to: lyttleviet

User image

I used a Gu Brew Electrolyte tablet in a 12 oz water bottle. I guess I did Bonk. I didn't think that was possible in an Olympic Distance race. Do most people take/eat something in this distance? I didn't think I needed any food but maybe I'll bring something just in case for my next one.
2015-04-22 2:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

How fast were you riding compared to your training?

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2015-04-22 2:47 PM
2015-04-22 2:51 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

My average speed was in line with my training (approx 19 mph) but I wasn't as focused on keeping my cadence high. In training I try keep it around 90-95 but because this course was pretty flat for some reason I stayed in a lower gear which is probably (and hopefully) what caused my body to break down. I also started getting passed which pis*ed me off so I tried riding harder.
2015-04-22 3:01 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

My average speed was in line with my training (approx 19 mph) but I wasn't as focused on keeping my cadence high. In training I try keep it around 90-95 but because this course was pretty flat for some reason I stayed in a lower gear which is probably (and hopefully) what caused my body to break down. I also started getting passed which pis*ed me off so I tried riding harder.

I think you just answered your own question.

Lower cadence / harder gearing than usual, in combination with riding outside of your capabilities when you started riding harder... recipe for an unhappy body!

Train how you race - if you liked being in a lower gear, do that! Some people ride well under 90rpm because it suits them. You just need to train that way as well. And race your own race

2015-04-22 3:34 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

I hope that was it . Hopefully next week's race goes better than the 1st one. Cramping is painful and awful when you're standing on the side of the road and everyone else is running past you!
2015-04-22 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

several observations:

seems like you drank a lot, but I don't know how hot it was. I rarely drink more than 1 bottle in and Olympic.

you run too fast in training

you went to hard on the bike

cramping is nearly always a result of fatigue.

2015-04-22 4:02 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Originally posted by dmiller5

several observations:

seems like you drank a lot, but I don't know how hot it was. I rarely drink more than 1 bottle in and Olympic.

It wasn't that hot (around 80). You only drink 1 bottle of water during the whole race? No gels either? I think I did go too hard on the bike, or maybe even the swim. I never do all 3 sports in training so I think I need to start riding and running longer to get my body ready for the 2+hrs I'm out there.
2015-04-22 4:28 PM

I'm betting on the swim . . . what is your 100/yd pool time and swim experience and swim fitness going in? You said you kicked more than normal . . . that can certainly get you into trouble if you're not doing a fair amount of kick sets in practice. I've hurt myself by going too hard on the swim and it's real easy to do given the abundance of adrenaline at the start of a race.

Without more info, sounds like you may have overtaxed yourself on the swim, but then expected to pace on the bike like you hadn't already swam 1500m. Worked yourself into an early hole on the bike and then whammy, your body revolted. Heh, been there. . . . more than once.

2015-04-22 4:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by dmiller5

several observations:

It wasn't that hot (around 80). You only drink 1 bottle of water during the whole race? No gels either? I think I did go too hard on the bike, or maybe even the swim. I never do all 3 sports in training so I think I need to start riding and running longer to get my body ready for the 2+hrs I'm out there.

1 bottle of water an a gel, maybe 2 gels at the most. You just don't need that much for a 2 hour race.

2015-04-23 8:47 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204

I'm betting on the swim . . . what is your 100/yd pool time and swim experience and swim fitness going in? You said you kicked more than normal . . . that can certainly get you into trouble if you're not doing a fair amount of kick sets in practice. I've hurt myself by going too hard on the swim and it's real easy to do given the abundance of adrenaline at the start of a race.

Without more info, sounds like you may have overtaxed yourself on the swim, but then expected to pace on the bike like you hadn't already swam 1500m. Worked yourself into an early hole on the bike and then whammy, your body revolted. Heh, been there. . . . more than once.

After my morning swim, I have a feeling you nailed it. I normally swim around 1:50 in the pool. That's part of why I was so surprised when I saw my swim time. Adrenaline and the wetsuit made me feel like I was Michael Phelps. I'll have to work on slowing down so I have more later on in the run.

I'm a heavy sweater so I'm not sure 1 bottle will cut it for me but I'm going to try taking another gel on the bike in my next race. Trial and error!
2015-04-23 10:13 AM

After my morning swim, I have a feeling you nailed it. I normally swim around 1:50 in the pool. That's part of why I was so surprised when I saw my swim time. Adrenaline and the wetsuit made me feel like I was Michael Phelps. I'll have to work on slowing down so I have more later on in the run.

I'm a heavy sweater so I'm not sure 1 bottle will cut it for me but I'm going to try taking another gel on the bike in my next race. Trial and error!

Well, courses can be notoriously off in distance, but yeah, going from 1:50 in the pool to 1:30's in open water. . . . you probably burnt a few matches
2015-04-23 1:12 PM
in reply to: #5110048

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I'm prone to cramps and after experimenting with everything over the years I'm convinced it's overexertion more than anything else. If you're underfueled that can certainly trigger it but it's pretty hard to underfuel in an oly. I'm a 1 or 2 bottle-couple of gels-few swigs of drink on the run- type of guy.

The one other thing I'll add is that cramps are not necessarily a game ender. I have calf and quad cramping toward the end of every 70.3 bike and intermittently on the run but they're usually temporary. I just push through (although it can get ugly once I finish).
2015-04-23 3:36 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Well, courses can be notoriously off in distance, but yeah, going from 1:50 in the pool to 1:30's in open water. . . . you probably burnt a few matches

I'm glad to hear that because according to my Garmin I swam 1,700 meters. I'm sure I didn't take the most efficient route but almost 200 meters over the listed swim of 1,500 seems like a lot.
2015-04-24 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
You didn't bonk. The end of the bike is too soon to out of fuel to the point where you bonk.

I agree with dmiller - you don't need to eat or drink a lot for an Oly distance race.

On the run you say you drank water and Gatorade at every station as if that is somehow going to make the camps disappear. If the cramps were from over-exertion (which I think is likely), I would be concerned that putting anything in my stomach would make things worse, not better.
Don

Edited by donw 2015-04-24 8:00 AM

2015-04-24 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

What did you eat prior to the race? I found out that there are some foods that don't agree with me on race day. For some reason, peanut butter doesn't agree with me on race day so I switched to a yogurt about three hours prior to race and then a gel 15 minutes prior to the swim.

2015-04-24 9:33 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

I ate a Montreal bagel (best bagels in the world in case you've never had one!) with some light peanut butter and a banana. I already told myself I'm going to try a different breakfast before my next race. I'm planning on eating a Bonk Breaker bar and a banana instead. I eat this regularly after my morning swims so my body is used to it.

As for drinking at every aid station, I figure it couldn't hurt and the sugar from the Gatorade tasted great going down. Was it the right strategy? Maybe not but thanks to everyone on here I've got a few new tricks to try for my next race.
2015-05-01 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I have always had issues with cramping.  I've done all of the things mentioned ... gels, powerbars, EFS, Cytomax, Gatorade et al and still cramp.  This season I tried doubling up on NUUN tablets in my water bottles in conjunction with gels and powerbars, and any issues are minimal thus far. 

Energy is good; hardly any cramping, and leg soreness the next day is minor.  I'm not sure what's different about NUUN - but it works for me.

Edited by Dorm57 2015-05-01 2:42 PM
2015-05-01 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

You don't have anything in your training log, but my guess is that you out-swam/biked/ran your fitness.

2015-05-02 8:46 PM

User image

Groton, New York
I did not see (unless I missed it) anything about WHERE you are cramping? If it is the legs (quads), then I have had the same issue the last two years that I have done an Oly distance. After all of the research I've done, I think it was simply a matter of pushing too hard on the bike. After the first year with cramping issues it was suggested maybe my electrolytes were down. I made sure to be on top of my nutrition last year and had the same leg cramping in the same part of the run. I am now convinced that it was simply a matter of going out too hard and pushing too hard on the bike. Part of that race excitement etc. etc. This year I am going to try to pace myself better and allow my legs to spin out a bit more rather than pushing hard on a bigger ring.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramping Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

CRAMP.....CRAMP......CRAMP.....

Started by riser
Views: 1165 Posts: 4

2004-11-07 9:59 PM NoisyD

cramps/stitches

Started by julia
Views: 747 Posts: 6

2004-05-31 2:26 PM dai_bach

cramp in both legs while swimming

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1320 Posts: 9

2004-05-15 8:46 PM vmax3000

Calf Cramps

Started by gardnjg
Views: 1009 Posts: 5

2004-04-25 8:19 AM bandd

Cramping.

Started by tijohnson
Views: 876 Posts: 7

2004-04-11 8:46 AM GamblerZ
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
As I was pulling my wetsuit off while standing in the water, my left calf cramped such that my foot was pointed, the muscle was rock hard, and I could not pull my foot out of point for 30 seconds.

date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?
date : November 4, 2007
Do you get cramps after exercising? This article discusses 'exercise-associated muscle cramping' including the diagnosis, risk factors and some treatments.

date : September 25, 2007
author : mrakes1
Are you a heavy sweater? Do you finish a race covered in white-streaks? Do you cramp during a race? Than this article is for you.
date : September 17, 2007
Muscle cramps occur in 67% of triathletes. This article discusses several theories on the causes of cramps and what to do if you get one and how to prevent cramps.

date : September 13, 2007
I woke up with a huge painful cramp in my right calf. I do not think I was dehydrated. Can you offer clarity on what may have happened? Should I back off tomorrow's workout?
date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.

date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.