General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri - Fat Tire Bike! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-23 3:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Sprint Tri - Fat Tire Bike!
Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
Originally posted by FurnaceM3
Originally posted by jennifer_runs Why? To make fun of beginners who don't have "real" bikes? That sounds dumb to me.
Yes, I understand how this can be misunderstood. For that matter I would think it would be the opposite. That to participate in a tri it doesn't matter WHAT kind of bike that you use; just the fact that you can try and have fun while doing it is what is most important.
Except that everyone is saying how "hilarious" it would be. That to me doesn't sound very supportive to new triathletes who are starting out with whatever bike they have. Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

So your concern is if the OP rides his fat bike and thinks it's hilarious, by proxy if a new triathlete is also on a fat bike they will somehow feel inferior or slighted?

That's quite a reach...

Yes, it just seems to be slighting the efforts of someone who is on an MTB bike for a real effort and not just to show off. At least that's how it would feel to me (as someone who did her first tri on an MTB bike two years ago).

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-04-23 3:54 PM

2015-04-24 12:50 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran

Except that everyone is saying how "hilarious" it would be. That to me doesn't sound very supportive to new triathletes who are starting out with whatever bike they have.

Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

I think it would be awesome and fun!!

My LBS tends to be the one who carries the niche products.

We brought back cyclocross locally, were the very first adopters of 29er MTBs and have been doing FATBIKES for a few years now too.

I have yet to use one, but a couple guys have raced on them for enduros etc.

It's all about having fun isn't it!! Fat bikes are just that!
2015-04-24 7:41 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Veteran
Definitely some interesting opinions here! In my OP I did state "hilarious", but by no means did I mean any disrespect to anyone who has worked hard to participate in these events. Maybe that was the wrong choice of word or I should have just left it as being fun - which, of course, it is.

I think as a beginner triathlete we do have many different stresses to face and someone who is on the cusp of trying one may see me and think "heck, why not? this dude is on a crazy bike and i can do that!" I just meant my post to be in good spirits and not to demean what people work towards or what motivates them.

The race is actually still quite a bit away (July) so I've got some time to practice flying mounts/dismounts
2015-04-24 7:58 AM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I love folks on these kind of bikes, the only ones I blow past...
2015-04-24 8:54 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dfquigley
Except that everyone is saying how "hilarious" it would be. That to me doesn't sound very supportive to new triathletes who are starting out with whatever bike they have. Sorry, but I'm not buying it.
I think it would be awesome and fun!! My LBS tends to be the one who carries the niche products. We brought back cyclocross locally, were the very first adopters of 29er MTBs and have been doing FATBIKES for a few years now too. I have yet to use one, but a couple guys have raced on them for enduros etc. It's all about having fun isn't it!! Fat bikes are just that!
Good equipment is intimidating. Slower equipment is insulting. So there is no winning this. Some  people would do well to stop taking things so seriously and remember the bolded. It applies to a lot of things, not just the use of a fat bike. This is a very inclusive sport.

2015-04-24 9:19 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro
Houston

Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by jennifer_runs Why? To make fun of beginners who don't have "real" bikes? That sounds dumb to me.
Yes, I understand how this can be misunderstood. For that matter I would think it would be the opposite. That to participate in a tri it doesn't matter WHAT kind of bike that you use; just the fact that you can try and have fun while doing it is what is most important.

So your concern is if the OP rides his fat bike and thinks it's hilarious, by proxy if a new triathlete is also on a fat bike they will somehow feel inferior or slighted?

That's quite a reach...

Yes, it just seems to be slighting the efforts of someone who is on an MTB bike for a real effort and not just to show off. At least that's how it would feel to me (as someone who did her first tri on an MTB bike two years ago).

How about because it will be FUN! Why would it be about anybody else and why would anybody else care? I recently bought my husband a fat bike and he has thought of doing this same thing because he knows it would be FUN and he wouldn't worry about being competitive and just have a good time. If it makes you feel bad that is your issue, not his.

2015-04-24 9:58 AM

User image

NC

The race is actually still quite a bit away (July) so I've got some time to practice flying mounts/dismounts

And wheelies. Maybe some sweet jumps.

2015-04-24 1:36 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
If you're doing the bike leg on a fat tire bike then you are required to:

1. do the swim in regular swim trunks
2. do the run in flip flops

It's the only way to even it out.
2015-04-24 2:17 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by 3mar

I'm pretty sure he would be required to wear a speedo not trunks, but I could be wrong :D
2015-04-24 5:38 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Lupy

I'm pretty sure he would be required to wear a speedo not trunks, but I could be wrong :D

pffftttt.....if you're going for it, go all the way...

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (31KB - 58 downloads)
2015-04-24 9:01 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by Lupy

I believe a gold metallic speedo would be appropriate.

2015-04-29 10:30 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I did my first and only duathlon 14 years ago.  I was invited by friends to do the race with them the week of the event.  I hadn't been on bike in years and didn't even have a bike that I could get to before the race.  My friends insisted and even sourced a bike for me.  It was a beefy mountain bike.  One of my friends had a cheap street bike and the other 4-5 of them had high dollar light weight mountain bikes with thin racing slick tires.  I had the #2 run time on the first run, then jumped on my steel framed mountain bike and got busy to make some distance before others got to the T1.  It wasn't long before other caught me though.  First the fast guys on TT bikes passed me.  Then the fast women on TT bikes, then my friends on the light weight mountain bikes and cheap road bikes started to pass me. It was when the grey haired lady passed me looking like she was taking a Sunday afternoon stroll when I was drenched in sweat that I started to get discouraged.  

The problems wasn't the grey haired lady.  The problem was my expectations.  I knew I would be on a heavy bike but was hoping that I wouldn't be the only one at the race in the Clydesdale bike category.  If someone else would have been there on a monster bike working as hard as I was to get up to 14 MPH.  I would not have been as self conscious and  probably would have had a lot more fun.   I would say definatly go for it.  The person on the fattest bike there is the one that is probably going to be the happiest to see you there having fun. 

2015-04-29 10:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

I did my first Triathlon that I actually trained for last weekend.  Based on the experience I had 14 years ago I didn't want to do it on my mountain bike.  I figured that if I could find a used street bike or TT for around $300 that I would get it, but if not I could do the race on my mountain bike and be prepared to take it at my own speed and no worry about what people on $2500+ TT bikes were doing.  I found a 15 year old retired TT bike for $300.  It was a little dated (650 tires, no adjustability of aero bars, platform pedals, etc.).  When I took it to a bike shop for a basic fitting they laughed at me and told me that I wouldn't be able to complete my event on that bike (and that I really needed to buy a new bike from them).  I took their scoffs as a challenge and put in the time on the bike and made huge improvements over 4 months of training before race day.  At bike check in a saw a lot of nice bikes come in.  Mine was defiantly the only $300 bike there.  I had matured in 14 years though and wasn't worried about everyone else's bike.  I had training a lot of hours on my bike and it was part of my race team.  We worked well together and we would be competing against what we had been doing in practice for the past 16 weeks, not against the Flo wheel set, or the Aero Hydration system, the clipless pedals etc.

Ironically the race had two transition location that were 12 miles from each other and the guy that won the race left his bike shoes at the T2 on race morning and rode the whole 56 miles with out shoes.   if you are offended by other people's bikes the problem isn't them.  If this guy can turn in the fastest time of the day with out his bike shoes their is a lot that others can accomplish with what they have to work with.

Shoeless for 56 miles

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-04-29 10:47 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri - Fat Tire Bike! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Trek 1500 with fat knobbie tires?

Started by islandflyer
Views: 2893 Posts: 7

2011-06-06 10:25 PM islandflyer

Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival

Started by mmrocker13
Views: 1736 Posts: 8

2010-03-25 9:10 AM mmrocker13

Fat Tire question

Started by miami1904
Views: 1038 Posts: 13

2009-04-06 3:50 PM miami1904

Fat Tire class

Started by FlaTri38
Views: 2298 Posts: 8

2009-01-13 2:52 PM Aikidoman

New 2 sport...quetions about fat tire division

Started by ptwltrs77
Views: 3116 Posts: 6

2006-12-20 1:07 PM McFuzz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.
date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.