General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've come into small amounts of expendable cash, what next? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-22 3:28 PM

Subject: I've come into small amounts of expendable cash, what next?
So, I have some expendable cash.

I've found some relatively cheap things that have been great values.

-race belt (faster and more nimble and versatile than safety pins), best $2.99 (running store clearance)I ever spent in this racket
-silicone ear plugs (the cheapy kind from Walgreens) $5.99 for a dozen or more. They make me feel like Iron Man (the superhero, not to be confused by the athlete) in the pool. All helmeted up and protected. Was having annoying issues with water in my left ear. 2nd best value expenditure.
-silicone swim cap ($6 or so), I don't need a letter opener to get it open every time I use it
-really awesome hat from the running store. It was a little more expensive...like $20. But it's super light, has a wicking headband and I was dreaming about I for a few days and finally bought it. Love it.
-good sunglasses $30+ (I like polarized when it's super bright...I love the pair I have and I've never been a "sunglasses guy") No eye troubles, and I can see my watch
-8 gig San Disk Sport Clip, $30. Got this thing in December. I use it many times a week, for what I consider a rather long amount of time for an electronic device and I've only HAD to charge it twice. I charged it a 3rd time because I wanted it for a car trip instead of my phone. This is the single most energy efficient electronic device I have ever used.

So...
With ~$100, what would be your "value" items?
Stuff that's CHEAP, but offers surprising value.

I know I could always go and buy some new socks. NOTHING like new socks. But I don't have to justify clothing/bike fit/repairs and stuff like that. I can do that guilt free. This $100 is akin to birthday money from Grandma. It's just some cash from what amounts to busking. Don't tell my wife...I used to save it all through the year and buy her jewelry. But, ever since she walked in on a burglar a year ago who took a couple thousand in jewelry from us, we're not so interested in jewelry. I am saving half of it to buy something for her.

Some kind of easy to apply sunscreen? Is there such a thing as sunscreen wipes?
ooooh. There is. I just looked! Travel packets! They can go in my shirt! Down to about $80 now.

2015-04-22 6:13 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: I've come into small amounts of expendable cash, what next?
Forget the race belt - you will either get one in a swag bag or you can always borrow one.
Forget the swim cap. You'll get one for the race. Then you'll have hundreds. They are like tribbles I swear.
Ear plugs are useless.
Good sunglasses are very important. Ones that you use on the bike and run. It's very important that you can see out of them when in aero on the bike.
Socks are important. Get ones that don't stay wet.
2015-04-22 6:26 PM

User image

Pro

$100 huh?

How about a disc cover for your rear wheel.

Or an aero helmet (on sale)

Or a tri-suit onsey (on sale)

A little more money, and we could start talking GPS watches and such.

2015-04-22 7:04 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Katy, Texas
I'd go for a between the arms hydration system. That's the best money I've spent so far.
2015-04-22 8:14 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
you should spend all the money on helium filled balloons and tie them to your spot in T1 so you can get your bike quicker in the race
2015-04-22 8:17 PM

Originally posted by jhaack39

So, I have some expendable cash.

I've found some relatively cheap things that have been great values.

-race belt (faster and more nimble and versatile than safety pins), best $2.99 (running store clearance)I ever spent in this racket
-silicone ear plugs (the cheapy kind from Walgreens) $5.99 for a dozen or more. They make me feel like Iron Man (the superhero, not to be confused by the athlete) in the pool. All helmeted up and protected. Was having annoying issues with water in my left ear. 2nd best value expenditure.
-silicone swim cap ($6 or so), I don't need a letter opener to get it open every time I use it
-really awesome hat from the running store. It was a little more expensive...like $20. But it's super light, has a wicking headband and I was dreaming about I for a few days and finally bought it. Love it.
-good sunglasses $30+ (I like polarized when it's super bright...I love the pair I have and I've never been a "sunglasses guy") No eye troubles, and I can see my watch
-8 gig San Disk Sport Clip, $30. Got this thing in December. I use it many times a week, for what I consider a rather long amount of time for an electronic device and I've only HAD to charge it twice. I charged it a 3rd time because I wanted it for a car trip instead of my phone. This is the single most energy efficient electronic device I have ever used.

So...
With ~$100, what would be your "value" items?
Stuff that's CHEAP, but offers surprising value.

I know I could always go and buy some new socks. NOTHING like new socks. But I don't have to justify clothing/bike fit/repairs and stuff like that. I can do that guilt free. This $100 is akin to birthday money from Grandma. It's just some cash from what amounts to busking. Don't tell my wife...I used to save it all through the year and buy her jewelry. But, ever since she walked in on a burglar a year ago who took a couple thousand in jewelry from us, we're not so interested in jewelry. I am saving half of it to buy something for her.

Some kind of easy to apply sunscreen? Is there such a thing as sunscreen wipes?
ooooh. There is. I just looked! Travel packets! They can go in my shirt! Down to about $80 now.

Lock laces for your shoes (speeds up transitions a lot!), good sunglasses, or maybe a cheap bike computer if you don't already have one. Or, you can spend just a bit more and get a good BTA hydration system. All excellent choices.

2015-04-22 8:19 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Assuming one has nothing to start......Bluetooth speed and cadence sensor to work with you phone, heart rate monitor(I'm partial to the scosche), aerobars, hydration belt, aero helmet
2015-04-22 9:03 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Continental GP4000 tires.

Should be able to get a pair from Pro Bike Kit for under $100.

They will change your ride more than anything else you will buy.
2015-04-23 10:58 AM
in reply to: ballisticmonkey3

Originally posted by ballisticmonkey3

Lock laces for your shoes (speeds up transitions a lot!), good sunglasses, or maybe a cheap bike computer if you don't already have one. Or, you can spend just a bit more and get a good BTA hydration system. All excellent choices.

That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for! Not that a couple seconds will make a difference for me. It's just one less 'task' to have to get "right" that could distract me from remembering to put on my sunglasses because I was fumbling with tying shoes or something.

I'm good with basic clothing....tri top/shorts/etc. That's easily justified. I've got a refurbbed 310XT, so I'm good for awhile with that. I suppose I could look into the footpod or cadence thingy or accessories. Last gig money I used was for the bike/quick release mount for it.

No 'aero' for me. I'm on a road bike and I'm just a finisher anyway....so I'm just looking for stuff that's not really "performance" oriented. I suppose it's more "comfort factor"...or even non-specific stuff that'll come in handy for general fitness. For my birthday I asked for a big package of cheap thin hand towels from Kohls so I could use those at the gym instead of our regular hand towels we use around the house. Such a romantic gift from my wife! It's OK, I got her a toilet seat for Christmas one year.

2015-04-23 12:13 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Comfort and performance combined - GP4000s tires, 25s (if you're still on 23s)
2015-04-23 12:20 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by jhaack39

I got her a toilet seat for Christmas one year.

A tent, because you are going to need a place to live!

2015-04-24 10:55 AM
in reply to: #5110084

User image

Extreme Veteran
2015-04-24 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Take your wife out to a nice dinner to say thanks. =)

2015-04-25 4:51 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
Entry fee.
2015-04-25 12:09 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by DaveL

you should spend all the money on helium filled balloons and tie them to your spot in T1 so you can get your bike quicker in the race

And don't forget the bucket
2015-04-25 5:02 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

, Illinois

Lottery tickets

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've come into small amounts of expendable cash, what next? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Flu and race coming next week!

Started by isabella969
Views: 841 Posts: 5

2013-06-08 9:08 AM isabella969

Ironman coming to NY/NJ next August

Started by stevepiv
Views: 906 Posts: 3

2011-06-08 8:58 AM kocourek

Smaller goggles for my small head...

Started by miami9296
Views: 697 Posts: 6