General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open swim practice the evening before the race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-22 5:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: Open swim practice the evening before the race
Hey, all quick question. I am doing an oly (my 2nd) on May 2nd. They event organizers are having swim practice from 5:00-7:00 the evening before. I would really like to be home relaxing at that point. My preference would be to do my last easy workout first thing in the morning. I am comfortable in open water and with my wetsuit. Would I be stupid to miss this opportunity to swim at least part of the course? The lake that the event is at is not normally open for swimming so I have never swam there. Also, is hard to get a wet wetsuit on? It would not be all the way dry the next morning. Thanks for your thoughts!

2015-04-22 5:49 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Open swim practice the evening before the race

If it were me, I'd bail and stay home relaxing.

2015-04-22 5:51 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Yup. Kinda the way I am leaning right now.
2015-04-22 5:56 PM

User image

My first OWS of the season will be during the race. I'm comfortable in the water and in my wetsuit so I don't do any practice OWS. Doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.
2015-04-22 10:09 PM

I wouldn't bother with it. Hauling around a soaked wetsuit and then putting it on the next day doesn't sound like fun and you're not going to get anything out of it if your already comfortable in open water.

2015-04-23 8:30 AM

I'd skip that workout and kick my legs up at home. NO WAY am I going to be doing that the evening before a race! Just plan on the fact that you are swimming in a murky lake. Better surf conditions, poorer visibility, heavier water -- but you don't need to practice that the night before! Get some rest and good luck!

2015-04-23 8:46 AM

I guess it depends on your goals. I would definitely do the swim. It provides an opportunity to find landmarks for sighting, figure out the best route to swim(depends on the course layout), any current(if applicable), find out about entry/exit, water depth-how far out can you dolphin dive & lots of other factors. No one says you have to do a workout while you are at the swim venue & you don't have to wear the wetsuit either. I always take the opportunity to learn as much about the course as possible prior to race time, especially if it is a new venue. 45-60 mintues in the water is not going to impact my fatigue for race day. Most of the time I need something to do anyway, otherwise I drive the family up a wall since I am not used to sitting around being bored. Right or wrong that is just how I approach these things.
2015-04-23 9:19 AM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by 5stones I guess it depends on your goals. I would definitely do the swim. It provides an opportunity to find landmarks for sighting, figure out the best route to swim(depends on the course layout), any current(if applicable), find out about entry/exit, water depth-how far out can you dolphin dive & lots of other factors. No one says you have to do a workout while you are at the swim venue & you don't have to wear the wetsuit either. I always take the opportunity to learn as much about the course as possible prior to race time, especially if it is a new venue. 45-60 mintues in the water is not going to impact my fatigue for race day. Most of the time I need something to do anyway, otherwise I drive the family up a wall since I am not used to sitting around being bored. Right or wrong that is just how I approach these things.

x2

I'd look at it as more of an opportunity to recon the course than as a full swim workout.  Also an oppotunity to take the edge off any pre-race nervousness. 

My wetsuit drys out pretty fast.  I wouldn't worry too much about getting it on the next morning. 

Mark

2015-04-23 12:31 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by 5stones I guess it depends on your goals. I would definitely do the swim. It provides an opportunity to find landmarks for sighting, figure out the best route to swim(depends on the course layout), any current(if applicable), find out about entry/exit, water depth-how far out can you dolphin dive & lots of other factors. No one says you have to do a workout while you are at the swim venue & you don't have to wear the wetsuit either. I always take the opportunity to learn as much about the course as possible prior to race time, especially if it is a new venue. 45-60 mintues in the water is not going to impact my fatigue for race day. Most of the time I need something to do anyway, otherwise I drive the family up a wall since I am not used to sitting around being bored. Right or wrong that is just how I approach these things.

x2

I'd look at it as more of an opportunity to recon the course than as a full swim workout.  Also an oppotunity to take the edge off any pre-race nervousness. 

My wetsuit drys out pretty fast.  I wouldn't worry too much about getting it on the next morning. 

Mark

I guess I fall into this camp though I don't think it is a huge deal either way.  I've been to a number of "out of town, never swam there" events and it has been helpful to me to gain some familiarity of the course.  See how the markers are set, pick up sighting landmarks, etc.  I do these swims very casually and take breaks to survey from in the water.  I like getting a feel for the water and just doing something active to stay loose.

2015-04-23 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I'd say it's probably not worth it if you are looking to eat dinner early and get in bed. That's a pretty late attempt at scoping out the course.

However, if you do go, just cruise it just to get familiar with the layout. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it much. I've done many races without swimming the course and it worked out fine. Also conditions can be significantly different at race start.

I do think it's a good idea to know the layout, and count the buoys so you know where you are during the race.
2015-04-23 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Thanks for all the feedback. One other thought I had is that I just go and take a look. It is actually only a mile from my house. I am quite familiar with the area but going and seeing how everything laid out could be helpful. I really want to do well at this race. Just depends on who shows up!

2015-04-24 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
IMO, you have to determine which has the greater pay out.

If you go and swim, will the better knowledge of the course cut enough time off of your swim on race morning to offset any fatigue that you might incur? I think going to see the layout (from land), would probably have the best benefit with the least amount of risk to your race performance.
2015-05-03 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Well, I ended up going to the lake to take a look at how they set up the course durning the scheduled swim practice. They only had one buoy out there. I am glad I didn't drive far to see the one buoy. On the positive side I got a chance to ask the rd a few questions. It was an awesome race. I exceeded all my time goals and got 2nd in my age group!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open swim practice the evening before the race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Open water swim practice question

Started by Jpro19
Views: 4429 Posts: 19

2013-05-07 5:40 AM TriMyBest

Swim the race distance (practice) Pages: 1 2

Started by prieto539
Views: 3431 Posts: 29

2012-08-16 2:40 PM siouxcityhawk

Open Water Swim Practice

Started by Tofu
Views: 1267 Posts: 9

2012-07-18 2:37 PM Danbones

My first open water swim(practice)

Started by KevinthePRF
Views: 768 Posts: 2

2006-06-12 11:01 AM marchbanks

Practiced my first open water swim and I'm really disappointed Pages: 1 2

Started by tgholland
Views: 3118 Posts: 27

2007-06-25 5:44 PM aggiecatcher
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : July 28, 2008
author : Lagoon
Celebrating a milestone 60th birthday with a Sprint triathlon. I followed the training program conscientiously with one exception--I never got around to practicing an open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : September 12, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on open water swimming with waves, optimal breathing, practicing sighting, when to get up and run, using the back and breast stroke, dropping your stroke count and swim aids.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was talking to this guy I work with who's son does tri's and he says that fish and sharks "NIP" at you while you are swimming." Okay so now I am freaked out.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.