General Discussion Race Reports! » Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wills Point, Texas
United States
Big Earth Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m
Overall Rank = 29/82
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, asked myself what I'm doing awake at such a crazy hour on a Sunday morning, then got in my car and hit the road. On route I ate a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. I also sipped on water the whole way.
Event warmup:

I didn't have much of a warm-up given it was my first race of the season and I was nervous about forgetting something. I walked around a lot, went through the transitions in my head and then put my wetsuit on. Next time I will make a point to do a short run and get a better stretch in. I also took a gel 15 mins before my start time.
Swim
  • 26h 15m
  • 1500 meters
  • 1h 45m / 100 meters
Comments:

It was my first time ever swimming in a wetsuit which was good and bad for me. Overall the swim went great as I swam faster than I'd ever done in training, but it caught up to me later in the race. The course was reversed this year so having to swim counter-clockwise was annoying because I really only breathe on my right, but thankfully there were enough people out there to keep me on track (more or less).
What would you do differently?:

Slow down! I pushed myself too hard, partially because I was excited and the buoyancy of the wetsuit made me feel like I was walking on water, but it took a lot out of me. I was pretty gassed when I came out into T1.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I practiced jumping on my bike with my shoes already clipped in the day before the race which wound up going terribly. I pushed down on my shoe, slipped off, wound up stubbing my toe and almost fell off my bike. I need to practice this some more. Otherwise everything else went well.
Bike
  • 1h 16m
  • 40 kms
  • 31.58 km/hr
Comments:

Roads were a little rough but overall the course was great. Some rolling hills but nothing to make you get out of aero. After about the first 10 miles I started cramping so I slowed down, drank some more and rode through it. I started getting passed at this point which was frustrating but I told myself I'd catch them on the run. I didn't...

I drank most of my water and energy drink which was great to have but probably slowed me down. Next time I'm going to try taking another gel, which I had on me but didn't feel like because of the cramping in my stomach and legs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

I was able to get my feet out of my bike shoes before the dismount so overall this transition went well.

Nothing
Run
  • 52m 52s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 17s  min/km
Comments:

By this point my body didn't want to run 1 mile, let alone 6. I made it through the first 3 miles at a relatively slow pace and then my legs decided they'd had enough. I had to stop several times to stretch and hobbled through the last 3 miles. I was very disappointed with my run but there was nothing I could do about it. Getting stretching tips from people running by me was thoughtful but at the time felt like rubbing salt in my wound.

Don't cramp, don't stop.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and ate a banana, some delicious cake they had out and some watermelon. Also drank a glass of Gatorade and a lot of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not sure where I went wrong but I need to try something different for my next race. It was a frustrating day for me but the weather was great and all things considered I had a great time.

Last updated: 2015-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
26:15:00 | 1500 meters | 1h 45m / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/82
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:00 | 40 kms | 31.58 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:52 | 10 kms | 05m 17s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back with 2 loops. Very straightforward and well covered in terms of hydration.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-04-23 9:21 AM

User image

Subject: Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course

2015-04-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: #5110241

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course

WOOT WOOT!  So awesome.

The stubbed toe, cramps, feeling gassed... file all that away for how you approach your next race (and badges of honor for a great story) and then take another look at this one.  PR, PODIUM, first Oly!!!

That is one fantastic day and a great race - congratulations!!

One of the things that is fun about racing is that there are so many variables and things to work on.  While it can be frustrating at times (I've been there, for sure), it does keep it interesting and fun.

What's next on the skedj??

Matt

2015-04-23 3:56 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

WOOT WOOT!  So awesome.

The stubbed toe, cramps, feeling gassed... file all that away for how you approach your next race (and badges of honor for a great story) and then take another look at this one.  PR, PODIUM, first Oly!!!

That is one fantastic day and a great race - congratulations!!

One of the things that is fun about racing is that there are so many variables and things to work on.  While it can be frustrating at times (I've been there, for sure), it does keep it interesting and fun.

What's next on the skedj??

Matt

Thanks Matt! Toe's still blue but makes me laugh and imagine how ridiculous I must have looked every time I feel it. Next race is May 3rd, another Olympic. I've already got my new plan in mind so hopefully it goes better than this one did.
2015-04-23 4:50 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Congrats on finishing your first race!  There are always "woops!" moments in the first race....as Matt said, you file them away and learn from them!

What's your training look like?  You don't have anything logged here, so it's hard to say what things might help for your next race.  Having one race under your belt certainly helps a lot -- I imagine you'll PR the next one simply by knowing what you now know!

Congrats again on your first race....and landing on the podium!

2015-04-24 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great job. I hope you are able to take everything you learned in this one and apply to your next one! Congratulations on a podium and PR.

2015-04-24 9:36 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Thanks Nicole and Chris too. I'm working on updating my profile to include my upcoming races. I really enjoy reading everyone's race reports so I'll continue to write them too. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

2015-04-25 9:50 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

Congrats on the podium and great race report. think of the frustrations as puzzles to solve...you'll figure it out. and while many race for beer....post race cake sounds pretty darn awesome!!

2015-05-01 7:57 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Well, this sounds like a pretty good earl season race to me, and add to it that it was your forst in a wetsuit and the first to try a flying mount, AND you wound up on the podium, heck - I don't see how it could have gone better! Really nice work. And the stubbed toe while painful could have been worse: a couple of years ago I lost my whole shoe while trying to get it on. Nothing like having to do the "Walk of Shame" back to get it. In my experience pinpointing the reason for cramping is always easy to figure out: it can almost always be traced back to not warming up properly and overpack g for my current level of fitness.  let us know what is next - can't wait to read the next report!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Rdracer99
Views: 1004 Posts: 1

2014-04-27 8:29 PM Rdracer99

Wiki Wiki 10K

Started by DiOnMaui
Views: 945 Posts: 1

2012-10-09 2:05 AM DiOnMaui

Sports Chalet Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by alex_korr
Views: 1084 Posts: 1

2011-10-12 1:00 AM alex_korr

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1944 Posts: 5

2011-10-17 12:12 PM Erincsg

Started by waupaca11
Views: 1123 Posts: 1

2011-10-10 11:36 AM waupaca11
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 9, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 5
There are so many reasons I love this sport and extremely buff, handsome men disrobing next to me is one of them.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.