General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Island Lake and Kensington Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-23 12:07 PM

Subject: Island Lake and Kensington
Who here trains at Island Lake and Kensington Metropark? I'm looking for new folks to ride with. I'll probably be there most weekends and maybe some week nights until end of September. I'm usually between 17-19 mph, depending on the type of workout I'm doing.

I was also thinking about riding over at Belle Isle (week days, after work) and Hines too.

2015-04-23 12:57 PM
in reply to: tktri123

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: Island Lake and Kensington
I swim, ride, and run at ILRA quite frequently, although my appearances there are completely dependent upon my work schedule which takes me back and forth between the east and west sides of Michigan. I usually ride from 20 mph to 21mph for the loop, but am happy to adjust to a group ride if it ever comes to pass.

Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays are my most common nights out there. Have only been 2-3 times this year unfortunately due to weather, hoping that switches up shortly.
2015-04-27 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I'm a regular at ILRA, and occasionally at Hines (the slow, meandering roller bladers tend to annoy me) and Belle Isle. Remember that Belle Isle is also a state park as of this year. I believe Hines officially closes to car traffic between Outer Drive and Ann Arbor Trail starting THIS Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. I think.

Sadly, you are a good bit faster than me yet. If you see me out there, pass me a caffeinated Gu. =) However, I do swim at Trout Lake most Saturdays if you are looking for a buddy. After it warms up, of course -- see other thread. =)
2015-04-27 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

I am out at Island Lake most Saturday mornings during the summer as well.  I'm usually at Trout Lake around 8am.  Hope to see everyone out there this summer!

2015-04-29 10:08 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

I'm a regular at ILRA, and occasionally at Hines (the slow, meandering roller bladers tend to annoy me) and Belle Isle. Remember that Belle Isle is also a state park as of this year. I believe Hines officially closes to car traffic between Outer Drive and Ann Arbor Trail starting THIS Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. I think.

Sadly, you are a good bit faster than me yet. If you see me out there, pass me a caffeinated Gu. =) However, I do swim at Trout Lake most Saturdays if you are looking for a buddy. After it warms up, of course -- see other thread. =)

I went out to Belle Isle last week Friday - they also have it set up for the Grand Prix right now, which cuts it to exactly a 5 mile loop. The only annoying part though is the detour that you have to go through each loop where the course cuts the road off.

I'll try to join you sometime at Trout Lake once it warms up! Last year, my OWS training was really sparse, so I have to work on that this year. I'll keep an eye out for you at IL in the meantime though - If you see a girl on a black and pink felt, give me a shoutout for that Gu!

I'm planning on going out to Kensington this afternoon around 5 to do the 5 mile hill loop (about 4 times?), if anyone wants to join. I the loop a few times on Sunday and was a little slower with all the hills - I think my garmin said 16.3 mph.
2015-05-24 8:53 AM

User image

It's been too long since I've had an OWS. I'm planning to head out to Trout Lake at 8am tomorrow (May 25th). I hear there are going to be some others from Level Multisport out there at 8.

I'm not sure on the water temp - Anyone know?

Perhaps I'll see some of you there. I'm typically in the parking lot a 7:55 / Navy Impala

Bruno

2015-05-24 7:55 PM
in reply to: #5110286

User image

Bruno: I was out there this morning. I don't the exact temp, but it was probably in the upper 60s.

I had a sleeveless wetsuit on, and while it was a bit brisk when I first dunked my head -- it was all good once I started going.
2015-05-24 10:49 PM
in reply to: #5117817

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Planned on a swim and a bike this morning but i forgot my goggles, had to settle for just a bike. I will probably be out there every Saturday starting next week. We should all try to meet up!
2016-01-08 9:13 AM

New user

Farmington Hills, Michigan
Originally posted by tktri123

Who here trains at Island Lake and Kensington Metropark? I'm looking for new folks to ride with. I'll probably be there most weekends and maybe some week nights until end of September. I'm usually between 17-19 mph, depending on the type of workout I'm doing.

I was also thinking about riding over at Belle Isle (week days, after work) and Hines too.

When the weather breaks I'll be riding/running with the FAST group on Tuesday night on Hines Dr. We'll be doing about 20 miles of biking followed by 3-4 miles of running around Neuberg Lake. I think the first brick in late March. I need to look at the schedule for this.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Island Lake and Kensington Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Do Island Lake and Kensington have a connecting BIKE path?

Started by Miles around Midtown
Views: 1528 Posts: 4

2013-09-28 8:27 PM Miles around Midtown

bridge between kensington and island lake

Started by lamarvenoy
Views: 1127 Posts: 5

2011-08-06 2:49 PM jdutton13

List of Island lake , kensington Tris

Started by davhamm
Views: 770 Posts: 1

2009-06-18 9:02 AM davhamm

Kensington / Island Lake Connection Closure Starting July 30th

Started by llamahope
Views: 838 Posts: 1

2008-07-25 8:47 PM llamahope

Island Lake on 9/20

Started by kimta
Views: 1213 Posts: 9

2006-08-18 10:28 AM cathrone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.