General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMMD - Lower Back/Hips/Chafing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-23 12:28 PM

User image

Subject: IMMD - Lower Back/Hips/Chafing
Aloha Everyone:

I just completed my second 70.3 (NOLA 70.3) this past weekend and have concerns for my first full IRONMAN in Maryland, October 3rd, 2015. I would love to hear your thoughts/advice.

1. Getting off the bike my lower back and hips were so sore I could barely run the first 2 miles. I took some motrin, but there has to be something I'm doing wrong or not doing. I was miserable. It didn't hurt while on the bike - just when I started running.

2. Chafing - On the inside of my left thigh it was so raw from chafing I thought it was going to bleed. It was tough walking the next two days. Could this be because of my saddle? It only happened on one side.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to the feedback.

2015-04-23 12:38 PM
in reply to: Robnkauai

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: IMMD - Lower Back/Hips/Chafing

Had you done any runs in training off a long ride?  Could be a bike fit issue.  Could be a training issue.  Could have just been one of those days.

Did you get any chafing in training?  If not what might have been different on race day?  Did you use bodyglide or some other type of anti-chafing?

2015-04-23 3:57 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

I did do a few bricks, but maybe need to do more. They weren't usually long rides and weren't consistent. I guess I should do more of those and be more consistent coming off long rides.

With regards to chafing, this is somewhat normal. However, this was worse than usual. I've never used any type of glide before.

Did I just answer my own questions?
2015-04-23 8:47 PM
in reply to: Robnkauai

Originally posted by Robnkauai

With regards to chafing, this is somewhat normal. However, this was worse than usual. I've never used any type of glide before.

I wish there were more emoticons.

I have generally large legs, not runners legs. In order to help eliminate any chafing, I put lube on before even a short run and wear compression shorts. Heck I even lube up at work in the summer!
2015-05-08 8:48 AM
in reply to: shoff14

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Sounds to me like you should get a new bike fit...

How long has it been since you were fitted for your bike? Have you lost or gained any weight since then? Have you moved your saddle?

The chaffing on your one leg could be because of the position you are on while riding your bike. Maybe you are favoring to one side of the bike and your left leg is coming closer to the saddle and rubbing. you might also want to look at the cleat placement of your bike shoes as well.

For the back, have you spent a lot of time in aero position? Do you take breaks while riding in aero? I try to get out of aero every 15-20 minutes when doing a longer race to stretch out the back and take a break.

Oh and you need to invest in some body glide or Butt Budder. Both are great for anti chaffing and work miracles.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMMD - Lower Back/Hips/Chafing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lower Back Pain during a race

Started by JHIMAZ
Views: 1982 Posts: 9

2011-08-19 12:34 PM trinitwit

100 milers back to back?

Started by ballyard7
Views: 1631 Posts: 21

2009-05-11 10:34 AM bschulte

Back to back HIM

Started by dropdeadjersey
Views: 1249 Posts: 6

2008-12-15 12:33 AM rsqdvr

Back to back HIM

Started by dropdeadjersey
Views: 771 Posts: 5

2008-11-18 7:50 PM dropdeadjersey

Back to back ironman races

Started by jonathan22
Views: 1548 Posts: 10

2008-07-30 2:19 PM Shermbelle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
There is a serious, devoted athlete, committed to the task of triathlon. He is happy because his heart rate is low, his blood lactate is low and his chances in this year’s Kona lottery is high.

date : January 20, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have been training for two months now and I am having problems with my lower back. As I run, my lower back gets extremely tight...to the point that I can hardly run.
date : December 14, 2011
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : May 25, 2009
comments : 1
I started playing basketball three times a week in addition to running and biking. Now, whenever I run any distance, the next day, I can hardly sit in my chair at work.
date : November 3, 2008
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
A lot of us don’t spend too much time worrying about stretching and strengthening exercises for our lower back.