General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed?
OptionResults
It's not possible to reach Ironman level in that time frame.
It will take 25+ hours per week training
It will take 20-24 hours per week
It will take 15-19 hours per week
It will take 10-14 hours per week
It will take 5-9 hours per week
Under 5 hours per week is sufficient
No training is required

2015-04-23 3:36 PM

User image

, England
Subject: Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed?
Hi all,

I am new to triathlon, in fact endurance racing in general. I have no base fitness nor much previous experience of cycling or swimming. I did a 10km fun run a few years ago though. I decided wanted to do a triathlon, so I signed up for the Nice Ironman.

The timeframe to get from nowhere to Ironman is 10 months (just over 2 months to go now). My friends and everyone I have spoken to who have competed Ironman events think I am doomed to failure. A few of the more optimistic ones believe it is possible with 15-20 hours of training per week.

I wanted to gain a bit more of consensus on the feasibility of me completing in the 16 hour time limit Nice has. The bike course is tough but the marathon is flat. Also what sort of training hours are required per week over the 10 months.

2015-04-23 3:51 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed?

Originally posted by 5Sigma  I have no base fitness nor much previous experience of cycling or swimming.

I think you're sorta answering your own question here. The Nice bike course has a reputation of being one of the tougher ones, so you can expect to be pretty well trashed by the start of your marathon. If it were me in your current condition, I wouldn't jump into IM. Get at the very least a year of experience doing shorter races. That may not be the answer you were hoping for but it helps to be realistic about things like Ironman. It really takes a lot of training to be well prepared.

2015-04-23 3:58 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

, England
I think that would have been appropriate way to go about it in hindsight. Unfortunately, now that I am signed up for it, its more a case of getting as prepared as I can be for not getting cut out at 16 hours. I don't really have 20 hour weeks available to me, but many say that is what will be required for my starting point.
2015-04-23 3:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Hang on now I'm a little confused. Are you talking about doing the Ironman this year? Have you already been training for 8 months? What has your training been like up until now?

Edited by trijamie 2015-04-23 3:59 PM
2015-04-23 4:52 PM
in reply to: #5110360

User image

Franklin, TN
What's your training been like over the last 8 months? With 2 months to go you need to have a decent base built up on the bike and swim. Have you done any 4000 meter swim workouts or any 75-100 mile rides? If yes, then you might be able to make it but you'll probably still have to walk a good portion of the marathon.
2015-04-23 5:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by trijamie

Hang on now I'm a little confused. Are you talking about doing the Ironman this year? Have you already been training for 8 months? What has your training been like up until now?

[getting popcorn.....]

2015-04-23 5:14 PM

User image

, England
Just to clarify, I signed up for it 8 months ago. 2 months to go.

My training thus far has average just under 3 hours per week. Quite a bit under the amount I'm supposed to be doing. I am hoping to bring that average up to around 5 per week over the 10 months (still lacking).

Two weeks ago I did my first triathlon as a build up training. It was an Olympic distance at 3h 10min. Last weekend I completed my first ever marathon, a pretty pedestrian 4:52 although the course was super hilly. This weekend its going to be a 100mile cycle, my first cycling event. My goal is merely to survive.

Two weekends from now, I am going to do my second triathlon, at half Ironman distance. It's going to be brutal but also a good indicator of just how doomed I am.

I have managed the full swim distance in a pool, but yet to try swimming open water nor swim in a wetsuit.

My training is extremely HIIT biased with very little long training. Except all these events I am doing now!
2015-04-23 5:31 PM
in reply to: 5Sigma

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I think you are in for a world of hurt.  I won't say you can't do it because determination and will power can go a long way but it won't be pleasant.  I suggest spending as much time on your bike as possible between now and then being ready to walk the majority of the marathon.

I do wish you luck and hope you succeed.  

2015-04-23 5:42 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

You can't really make up for the time you missed.

Because you can swim the distance and you won't gain much more by running, I agree that your time is best spent on the bike-- riding as much as you can.

Good luck.
2015-04-23 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by 5Sigma

My training thus far has average just under 3 hours per week. Quite a bit under the amount I'm supposed to be doing. I am hoping to bring that average up to around 5 per week over the 10 months (still lacking).

Two weeks ago I did my first triathlon as a build up training. It was an Olympic distance at 3h 10min. Last weekend I completed my first ever marathon, a pretty pedestrian 4:52 although the course was super hilly. This weekend its going to be a 100mile cycle, my first cycling event. My goal is merely to survive.

Two weekends from now, I am going to do my second triathlon, at half Ironman distance. It's going to be brutal but also a good indicator of just how doomed I am.

I have managed the full swim distance in a pool, but yet to try swimming open water nor swim in a wetsuit.

My training is extremely HIIT biased with very little long training. Except all these events I am doing now!

the first 2 sentences scare me. however, it is impressive that you managed to pull off the marathon under 5 hours. I don't know how long your rides have been, but it will be a good marker to see how your 100 miler goes.

I personally would focus on swimming and biking as much as you can before the IM. Also I'd take it fairly easy in the HIM, so your recovery is not going to set you back much. Racing the HIM hard will just damage you.

If I were you, I'd plan on a goal of "finishing" anything beyond that will be gravy.
Nice is one of the toughest bike courses, and most likely a hot run. The swim being nothing easy either from what I've read.

Good luck and keep us updated!
2015-04-23 7:51 PM

User image

Pro

There is only so much adaptation you can force in 2 months.  Even if you had unlimited time to train and sleep between now and race day, you'd just be digging yourself into a fatigue hole, that your body only has so much time to recover out of. 

You are not, and will not be prepared to do an IM.

Can you finish it?  maybe.  As stated above, if you're willing to put up with a lot of discomfort (pain) and have the determination to keep on moving forward, then yeah, you might be able to finish.  Provided you're an otherwise healthy individual. Race day is the icing on the cake.  you haven't made the cake.

So, if it were me, I'd cut my losses now.  If you really want to do an IM, then give yourself another year and take your training seriously.  Get into it, have fun and see what you can become.  Just suffering through a day, isn't exactly proving to yourself what your made of.

but- if you are going to go through with it... might I suggest taking your race day nutrition very seriously.  It's the one thing you can still do right.

2015-04-23 8:42 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
You may be able to finish in the time frame. People have accomplished much more with less time. The question I'd be asking is "What will I take from it?" I think that you will find that for many folks on these forums, triathlon is as much about the journey as it is the race. The satisfaction and feeling one gets doesn't necessarily come on race day, but from all of the time and effort leading up to it.
2015-04-23 9:21 PM

Why start training now? Sleep in, play video games, watch tv, whatever floats your boat. Maybe start your training 2 weeks before race day. Clearly you have ZERO respect for any kind of proper preparation. Why start now?
2015-04-23 9:59 PM

I've also heard that the Nice bike is quite difficult. Since you've already signed up and probably made arrangements, why not go expecting to do the swim and bike. After the bike, if you are still feeling it, you could give the run a go, or just call it a day if you're not.
2015-04-24 2:05 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

You can't do too much with the running, other than increasing the distance of your runs gradually otherwise you will risk injury.  At least you have covered the distance of the marathon although you can probably expect your time to be slower after the swim and bike in an IM.  At least it is pancake flat.

The bike course is tough, although I found it very enjoyable.  What type of bike are you using?  I am sure you are well aware of the long climbs, but the descents can play a big part in your overall time too.  I chose to put drop bars on my Tri bike with clip on aerobars and I passed many many people on the descents who were riding a full tri set-up.  Given there are almost no flat sections the slight loss in aerodynamics with clip-ons, in my opinion, was outweighed by the extra control and speed on the descents.

To finish within the 16h cut off I would say you need to be getting off the bike at the 10 hour mark, giving you 6 hours to do the run.  Subtract your swim time from this and that gives you an idea of how long you have to cover the 112 miles on the bike.  Then train like hell on the bike so you stand a chance of meeting this time (still fresh enough to run for 5/6 hours...). 

Best of luck.

2015-04-24 6:39 AM

User image

2015-04-24 7:23 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by 5Sigma

I think your in for a world of hurt! Looking at the times you listed, if you were well conditioned to handle the distance I would estimate you finish time between 15 and 16 hours. However your putting 3 hrs a week which is about the minimum time expected for training for a sprint.

If there is a bike cut off time you might get pulled from the coarse then, if not I don't see you finishing this in the 16 hours.
You have never done 100 miles on a bike? You may want to plan to take about 3 or 4 days off of work after the event.
2015-04-24 8:41 AM

User image

lockport
Your F'd!!

Just because you may be able to ride 100 miles or run an open marathon does not mead you can do it in one day. You appear to have relatively no base. Be prepared to do a lot of walking. Good luck. Post a report after.
2015-04-24 9:23 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

There have been folks (including a few here on BT) who have just shown up and done an IM with little or no training.  So you can't say it can't be done.

That being said, you're in for a potentially long and unpleasant day. 

Two months to go means you really only have about six weeks to train hard before you would need to start tapering,  Not a lot of time to accomplish much. 

The challenge with making the cutoff for an IM isn't the paces you have to maintain, it's the lenght of time you're going to be out there, i.e., all day.

If you do the HIM, I'd suggest using it as a training day, practicing the paces you'll be doing in the IM.  If your try to 'race' the HIM, then you risk putting yourself into a position where your recovery impacts your IM training, which is your real goal.

Good luck, use good judgment and be safe.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2015-04-24 9:23 AM
2015-04-24 9:55 AM

User image

Edited by maddog95835 2015-04-24 9:58 AM
2015-04-24 10:09 AM

User image

How old are you? Honestly I don't really think it matters at this point. I know its doable by some but IMHO I say absolutely not. Don't put your body through that.. You will be miserable. It doesn't sound like you have the time to train for a full IM and you could potentially hurt yourself which would delay any opportunity of really doing one.

2015-04-24 10:24 AM

User image

NC
You got this bro.

2015-04-24 10:41 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Goosedog

You got this bro.

Famous last words!!!
2015-04-24 10:45 AM

User image

Everyone is talking about the bike, or the run. But what about the swim? Is Nice wetsuit legal? If so, do you have a wetsuit? Have you swam in a wetsuit? Have you ever swam open water? Is it mass start or wave start? Have you swam with 2000+ others? When I did my first IM, the swim was the most terrifying part of the entire day. The mass of humanity in the water and the contact was like nothing I had ever experienced before. You can't even begin to talk about the bike or the run if you don't finish the 2.4 mile swim first.

Since you have already signed up and it is 2 months away, go for it. I hope you prove me wrong, but my money is on you not even completing the swim.

As an aside. I am in the "off season" of my triathlon training, I am training for the Fargo marathon in order to BQ so I have been focusing on running since January. But I still swim 3 times per week (1 hour each session, 2500m+ each session), ride the bike 3 times per week (on the trainer, 2x1.5 hours and 1x3.0-3.5 hours) then I run 4 times per week. 2 short runs, 1 medium run and 1 long run (up to 22 miles). I put in 12-15 hours per week of training just to maintain my fitness. It only gets harder as I ramp it up for IM training.

Edited by DeVinci13 2015-04-24 10:47 AM
2015-04-24 10:51 AM

I didn't think this was even a real post, part of me still has doubts, but considering you did ask a question in March about wetsuits for the Nice IM I am leaning towards the fact that you may actually be a real person with real concerns. Or you are an absolute genius for laying the groundwork 8 weeks in advance and fooling me into responding. Either way, I am willing to play along.

Are you "Doomed?" I think "Doomed" is being a bit melodramatic, but to answer if you are prepared, the answer is: absolutely not.

Just to restate (and respond):

-You have averaged about 3 hours per week of training that is not endurance specific.

No way is this enough training. Period. If you wanted to see if you could "survive" a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile "run," then you may as well have just signed up and not bothered to train at all. Also, it must be nice to have the type of income to make the financial investment of "competing" in a challenging physical event and then do absolutely no research on how to properly train for it. But hey, if you got the cash, good for you.

-You have 2 months, or a month and a half or so with taper of training left.

Again, I have to respond with: why bother. Any training you do may help you a bit, but why not just go in with the goal of saying "I did an Ironman with NO training!" You didn't take the race seriously, so why bother to start at this point.

-In consecutive weeks, you have done an Olympic triathlon, a marathon, then you are going to do your first 100 mile ride, and then a HIM two weeks following.

Good luck not getting injured. Perhaps you are a young guy. My guess is late teens/early twenties. Good if this is the case, your body can take quite a beating at this point in your life. If you are a young guy, it also probably explains the nonchalant attitude you've taken towards this endeavor.

-You've never swam in open water.

I'm sure you are not the only person who has shown up to an Ironman without swimming in the open water, but unless you are an amazing swimming, I wouldn't even consider it. It is irresponsible, plain and simple. If there is anything I would strongly advocate, it would be that you find a way to get out in a wetsuit (safely) and figure it out. You put yourself and others in danger otherwise.

Again if this is real. You are not prepared, and you won't be. If you want to keep training, go for it, it probably won't make much of a difference, or if you decide to start training "hard," you may not be able to show up on race day at all.

If I could make one request. Since you have decided to seek advice from the generous people on this board, can you perhaps return the favor by sharing your bib #, so that any interested parties can follow you or see how you did?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed? Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Signing up for Ironman Wisconsin 2010 Pages: 1 2

Started by MikeR
Views: 9577 Posts: 27

2010-01-29 7:45 AM FurnaceM3

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1846 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at the 16

Started by newadventures
Views: 1352 Posts: 9

2006-06-08 7:59 PM newadventures

PowerBar signs on as sponsor of Ironman North America events

Started by PGoldberger
Views: 1201 Posts: 6

2005-01-28 3:00 PM scuba-punk

Ironman Arizona - I signed up!

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1136 Posts: 16

2004-06-25 10:49 AM JayC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
comments : 0
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!