General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed?
OptionResults
It's not possible to reach Ironman level in that time frame.
It will take 25+ hours per week training
It will take 20-24 hours per week
It will take 15-19 hours per week
It will take 10-14 hours per week
It will take 5-9 hours per week
Under 5 hours per week is sufficient
No training is required

2015-04-24 11:34 AM
in reply to: Guest

Subject: RE: Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed?
I just can't even wrap my head around this situation. Signing up 10 months ago and then only training about 20% (or less) of the time per week you should be. I average more than 3 hours for my first sprint triathlon. Mainly I was concerned about the swim. People are free to make their own choices. I think this one is going to be pretty painful for you.

2015-04-24 12:06 PM
in reply to: #5110360

User image

Extreme Veteran
If you're set on doing it - focus your training on not getting hurt.

My running coach told us the other day - goal #1 is get to the starting line (meaning don't hurt yourself in the last 4-5 weeks). There's no way you can finish if you don't start.

I like the previous poster who said go, plan on swimming and biking and if you feel good off the bike try the slog.
2015-04-24 12:51 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

, England
A lot more responses than I was expecting, although I guess its a fairly ridiculous situation. It's probably worth me clarifying a few more things.

When I signed up for this circa September, I knew this was perhaps a challenge that I wouldn't be able to, and that a sensible approach would have to build up to the distance over a period of 3 years. Despite that I decided to sign up anyway. I initially planned to gradually build up to a 15-20 hr week training volume as my body got used to it.

Unfortunately I didn't end up having the time available to train that I had expected, and I'm not in a position to "make time". At this point, everyone with experience I spoke to told me I am going to fail unless I could start putting huge training hours in. While I did agree with them, I decided I was just going to continue with my training on the hours available and I could always quit closer to the time.

I decided to try and maximize the few hours I had to gain as much improvement as I could. HIIT training and standard interval training is probably less than Ideal for this distance, but it can be done in under half an hour. A half hour steady training in comparison, is likely little value at all for Ironman training, it needs to be much longer.

The fast majority of my training has been indoors and lasting between 30-60 minutes. I decided to focus most of my efforts on the gym bike as cycling probably presents the biggest risk to me. I've managed about 6 or 7 rides on a real bike outdoors, its taken a bit of adjusting to the position and riding style but next Sunday will give the best indication of how prepared I am for the bike. My main training focus now is long bike rides outside, preferably up steep hills.

I was worried most about the swim when I started, but i was surprised at my swimming improvement. I don't consider myself a good swimmer but I can go slow and steady without wasting too much energy. I have a 10 km and 5km open water swim events booked before the Ironman, so I will get a chance to try my wetsuit out (and open water with other people). In a lake, not in the sea sadly.

As for why so many events in such a short space of time. It's early season, I don't have long left and I have no experience of any of these events. I decided it was important to see each one before the event, this means cramming them in as unfortunately. I am 24 so I was banking on my ability to recover between race weekends. I feel surprisingly good after my marathon at least. I don't know if it will be true for my 100mile cycle or HIM.

I didn't plan to train this way, but since I am signed up for it, I might as well carry on and see how it turns out. I will quit if I feel there is an injury risk, otherwise I will just go for it and learn what I can. It might be slow, boring and painful, but it will definitely be an experience I remember.
2015-04-24 1:01 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Good luck, use good judgment and be safe.

Yeah, I think that ship already sailed.

If you are intent on doing this, I suspect you are going to learn first-hand what sufferfest means.  Not saying it can't be done, but prepare yourself for a painful experience.

Just my humble two cents.

2015-04-24 1:10 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ImSore

If I could make one request. Since you have decided to seek advice from the generous people on this board, can you perhaps return the favor by sharing your bib #, so that any interested parties can follow you or see how you did?

^^^ This X2

2015-04-24 1:12 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

, England
Yes, I can definitely post my bib number.

2015-04-24 1:16 PM
in reply to: 5Sigma

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by 5Sigma . . . I will quit if I feel there is an injury risk, otherwise I will just go for it and learn what I can. It might be slow, boring and painful, but it will definitely be an experience I remember.

Hmmm, the problem with that logic is, by the time you realize there is an injury risk , you will likely be sitting on your bumkiss on the side of the road - injured.

But hey, good luck with that.

2015-04-24 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
You will complete it if you're determined. But it will be ugly.

Swim - Even with only 2 months of training, most able bodied persons can do the swim in 1.5hrs.
Bike - Start off slow... then ease off a bit. Take 8.5hrs. Even if you could do it in 7.
Run - Walk, speed walk, shuffle - and cross the finish before the cut-off.

If you bike too fast you risk not finishing and ending up in the med tent.
2015-04-24 2:24 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Goosedog You got this bro.

Seriously OP, swim and bike as much as you can over the next 6 weeks.  You can always run-walk, walk-run, walk the marathon if you make the cutoff.

2015-04-24 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by 5Sigma A lot more responses than I was expecting, although I guess its a fairly ridiculous situation. It's probably worth me clarifying a few more things. When I signed up for this circa September, I knew this was perhaps a challenge that I wouldn't be able to, and that a sensible approach would have to build up to the distance over a period of 3 years. Despite that I decided to sign up anyway. I initially planned to gradually build up to a 15-20 hr week training volume as my body got used to it. Unfortunately I didn't end up having the time available to train that I had expected, and I'm not in a position to "make time". At this point, everyone with experience I spoke to told me I am going to fail unless I could start putting huge training hours in. While I did agree with them, I decided I was just going to continue with my training on the hours available and I could always quit closer to the time. I decided to try and maximize the few hours I had to gain as much improvement as I could. HIIT training and standard interval training is probably less than Ideal for this distance, but it can be done in under half an hour. A half hour steady training in comparison, is likely little value at all for Ironman training, it needs to be much longer. The fast majority of my training has been indoors and lasting between 30-60 minutes. I decided to focus most of my efforts on the gym bike as cycling probably presents the biggest risk to me. I've managed about 6 or 7 rides on a real bike outdoors, its taken a bit of adjusting to the position and riding style but next Sunday will give the best indication of how prepared I am for the bike. My main training focus now is long bike rides outside, preferably up steep hills. I was worried most about the swim when I started, but i was surprised at my swimming improvement. I don't consider myself a good swimmer but I can go slow and steady without wasting too much energy. I have a 10 km and 5km open water swim events booked before the Ironman, so I will get a chance to try my wetsuit out (and open water with other people). In a lake, not in the sea sadly. As for why so many events in such a short space of time. It's early season, I don't have long left and I have no experience of any of these events. I decided it was important to see each one before the event, this means cramming them in as unfortunately. I am 24 so I was banking on my ability to recover between race weekends. I feel surprisingly good after my marathon at least. I don't know if it will be true for my 100mile cycle or HIM. I didn't plan to train this way, but since I am signed up for it, I might as well carry on and see how it turns out. I will quit if I feel there is an injury risk, otherwise I will just go for it and learn what I can. It might be slow, boring and painful, but it will definitely be an experience I remember.

This is the insane part to me. you are going to race a 10km and a 5km event without training? You're going to drown. Don't do that.

2015-04-24 3:33 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

, England
Well, it's an event with lifeguards. Its also a rowing lake that is easy to escape to the side if I am struggling. I have no idea if I can do the 10km but I will give it a go. In terms of distance, I have managed the 3.8km in a pool, so I am not completely green on this.

Although a greater state of preparation would have been better for my swims.

And my Ironman.

2015-04-24 6:10 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Doomed

My over/under for abandoning is Bike SN...  That's even if you get out of the water.

I guess I don't see the harm in starting it.  Get in the water, splash around for a while and try to hit the swim cutoff then cruise around on the bike and see how far you get.  Make the cutoff?  Walk the marathon.  I would not suggest actually trying to race/push. 

Get a wetsuit so at least you can bob around a bit and put you or others less at risk - You ARE putting people at risk, BTW.  Panicked swimmers often drag down others around them - even life guards.

Youth makes up for a lot, but IM is no joke.  Good luck.

2015-04-24 7:18 PM

User image

If you can swim 3.8 km in the pool, and do a sub 5 hour marathon...you probably have enough raw fitness to complete an Ironman under 16 hours.  I mean, some people will make it out to be this monumental task that only hard, fit, people who train 15 hours a week can complete, but it's not.  You get people of all ages and abilities (and some with disabilities) that can complete Ironman just fine.  A 24 year old male with 4 working limbs is at least a good starting place if you're going to attempt an IM with minimal training.

That said, I think the major pitfalls of Ironman have much more to do with just raw base fitness.  

There are people who can't do an Ironman simply because they will freak out in the open water with 2500 other people splashing around them.  You would like to think you can control your emotions, anxiety, and composure during that time...but it comes as a total shock to some people who are not prepared for it.  You might finish the swim, but use up A LOT more energy than you would have in a pool just because you're not comfortable in the open water or in a wetsuit that can restrict breathing if not fit properly.

Biking 112 miles in 8-9 hours doesn't take a huge amount of fitness.  It does however require that you are comfortable on the bike.  You have a good pair of bike or tri shorts you are comfortable with, a proper bike fitting and a saddle that won't put pressure on the wrong areas.  It won't be so easy to finish the bike, let alone do a marathon afterwards if your back and shoulders are tightened up in knots and you have bloody chafing between your legs.

Nutrition is also going to be a big key to whether or not you finish.  Someone out on the course for 16 hours is going to need a good flow of calorie intake.  You're only going to find out what works for you during training and past race experiences.  There have been many athletes, including pros who have DNF'd races due to improper nutrition.  Eating too much food can be just as bad, if not worse than eating too little.

Lastly you need to avoid injury.  Those who train build up not only fitness, but durability in their joints and muscles.  Most people should have the fitness to walk 26.2 miles, but not everyone can do so without risking injury...especially if they just biked 112 miles with a poor fitting bike.

Will you finish...I don't know.  I can imagine that you will have enough fitness to complete the IM in 16 hours, but you will suffer from one, if not all of the things I mentioned above to a certain degree.  I think almost everyone will suffer from them as well...just not as much because they have learned from it in training where you will not learn much int he next 2 months.

Stubborness can carry you a long way though.  I would highly recommend getting some open water swim practice and going to a bike shop to at least get a general fitting.  Then just plan for a long day and walk the marathon.  Do that, and I give you a better than 50/50 shot of finishing...but you will suffer.  Maybe it will be worth it to you in the end.  Only you can decide that...not anyone else.  Good luck.

2015-04-25 11:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

As others said, I'm not sure you're real. But there are all kinds of people in the world, so perhaps you are.  So in case you are real, I'm not going to encourage this stupidity. 

YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS DOING IRONMAN NICE.  YOU'RE A DANGER TO YOURSELF AND OTHERS.

First, you're going to suck at the swim.  2500 person two loop open water in the Mediterranean Sea.  The frikkin' Mediterranean!  Have you ever seen the rollers in open water saltwater? Even regular waves? Then 2500 people swimming in it?  Just visit the website and look at the photo of the open water swim.  At best, you'll finish near last.  At worst, you'll die and drown someone else along with you in your panic.

Second, the bike ride has a reputation for one of the hardest and most technical courses in all of Ironman. In the French Alps.  The frikkin' Alps!  And you say you've done 7-8 outside rides.  You're an idiot (as in, lacking mental capacity) if you think one long group ride is sufficient. High speed descending turns. Long grueling climbs. Yeah, your "gym bike" has prepared you for that. You'll never finish the bike. Never.  You'll make 50 miles at best, but again, you'll probably crash and take someone out with you.  Maybe crash bad enough to kill yourself and others

And then the run. You'll never get to the flat run, because you won't finish the 112 mile ride

Here's the bike course video.  Watch 3 minutes from the 12 minute mark, or the whole thing. Check out the sheer cliff you descend alongside at the 4 minute mark. Then think about your gym bike rides, and your bike rides outside, and how they compare.  Repeat until the obviousness of your plight sinks in. Note the caption on the YouTube video is "To the Memory of the British Triathlete who died after crashing during the Bike Section".  Want a video dedicated to you, too? 

I've completed ten Ironmans, dozens of mountain rides, fifteen centuries, four 200 mile rides, and 10,000 miles of road riding. Guess what? I find that bike video pretty intimidating. I'd carefully prepare for that ride. You're too ignorant and inexperienced to know the extreme danger you are putting yourself and others into.

And here's the swim start.  Think about your pool swims, and that start.  And those rollers.

So stay home and let people with more brains and more respect for the race enjoy their day without you risking their lives for them.

Edited by brucemorgan 2015-04-25 12:16 PM
2015-04-25 2:13 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

I think some people are missing the fact that he has done 4K pool swims. I don't think he's likely to drown.
2015-04-25 2:43 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I think some people are missing the fact that he has done 4K pool swims. I don't think he's likely to drown.

A 4K pool swim means he has the endurance in a controlled condition - in a swim lane, maybe a few other swimmers, heated, no wetsuit.

An Ironman swim in the Mediterranean is totally, and mean totally different.  The chill of the water on your face and body. The constriction of the wetsuit across your chests. The rolling waves. The unfamiliar buoyancy of both the wetsuit and the salt water. The 2500 other swimmers arms, legs, thrashing and bubbling the water.  Hands slapping your feet.  Swimmers moving in from both sides, bumping your shoulders with their thighs and your head with their hands.  The occasional kick to the face.

I've been kicked in the face .  I've been kicked in the groin. I've been punched in the side by a swimmer who didn't like my line. I've had a swimmer in front of me suddenly switch to backstroke and I narrowly avoided the frog kick to the face.  I've experienced the panic of open water swim problems myself.  More than once "STOP NOW" has crossed my mind and only experience and determination kept me in the water.  Especially IM Lake Placid, where I got kicked in the face so hard I thought I was going to have a nosebleed, and my googles shifted off one eye.  It took me several minutes of hanging off a kayak to fix those.  Oh, and it was also a two loop swim.  After all the horrors of the first loop, I had to get out of the water then GET BACK IN and do it again.  And the 56 degree water was no fun.

I'd much rather see a swimmer with more experience in race conditions even if it's only a mile, and not just a pool  swimmer who can swim 4K.

2015-04-27 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Originally posted by brucemorgan

A 4K pool swim means he has the endurance in a controlled condition - in a swim lane, maybe a few other swimmers, heated, no wetsuit.

An Ironman swim in the Mediterranean is totally, and mean totally different.  The chill of the water on your face and body. The constriction of the wetsuit across your chests. The rolling waves. The unfamiliar buoyancy of both the wetsuit and the salt water. The 2500 other swimmers arms, legs, thrashing and bubbling the water.  Hands slapping your feet.  Swimmers moving in from both sides, bumping your shoulders with their thighs and your head with their hands.  The occasional kick to the face.

The first time I swam in the sea with a wetsuit was in the swim practice the day before my first IM.  What you have describe (minus the kicking, but that was pure luck I think) is exactly how I felt.  I had to really concentrate to overcome the feeling of claustrophobia.  On race day everything was fine but I wouldn't describe it as a pleasant experience and the next time I do an IM I will definitely spend some time in open water with a wetsuit.

2015-04-27 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Don't let these folks keep you down. You got this.
2015-04-27 12:54 PM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by maverickbassets

Don't let these folks keep you down. You got this.

You should not encourage what is most likely dangerous to himself and others. This guy is going to do an IM on less training than the average person puts in for a sprint.

2015-04-27 12:55 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

And here I was concerned about being under trained on 12-15 hours a week for a HIM.
2015-04-27 1:20 PM

User image

lockport
I think he should post his plight on Slowtwitch to see what kind of encouragement he gets over there.

2015-04-27 1:20 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

"I've managed about 6 or 7 rides on a real bike outdoors"

This is where my thinking switched to just plan foolishness.  You can probably get away with riding some of the gentler IM bike courses on general fitness and some trainer time but this is a very technical course.  Not only is it technical but there are people, a lot of people, that you are rubbing shoulders with on some of these descents.  If you do not hold your line and drift out on a corner you could very easily create a collision with a more skilled rider who may be passing you at a much greater rate of speed.  The results could be tragic.  Look at some of the passing in the video.  Does not look like a place for someone with no experience. 

2015-04-27 2:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, England
I can see there is fair sentiment of 'this isn't going to turn out well'. I would definitely agree that this will be extremely difficult for me and very painful. It's interesting to see that some people think I have chance, yet others are certain I will not. I really have no idea how its going to turn out for me at this stage.

I think most people agree that it is the bike stage which is going to crush me the most. I can't really argue with this, the challenge of course vs. my experience is fairly significant. I did manage to do my 100 mile cycle yesterday and I refrained from drafting. I managed 6:47 of moving hours over the 95 miles my Strava recorded. While I was happy with the time there are a few important caveats. The course included breaks with food etc. The rest times will have certainly helped improve my overall time. The total climb was only about 60% of Nice. I didn't do a 2.4mile swim before hand, and I didn't feel at all like running a marathon afterwards.

I did learn a lot from the ride though. I need to work out a pace strategy for my bike ride and I need to work out a nutrition strategy. When I did my marathon last week, I had a predetermined pace and food strategy. It worked well and I finished in good condition. Yesterday's ride was the complete opposite. I had no plan or data for pacing myself, and I kept finding myself getting hungry and running out of fuel. With some tech and practice I think I can work these out over the next few weeks, to at least give myself as good chance as possible. Riding lots of hilly miles in these next few weeks is essential.

Regarding killing myself and others, I'm not so convinced. I'm not going into the event having not done an open water swim in a wetsuit, I can do the distance in the pool. The main risk is managing myself around many other people. I'm going to try and avoid being in the thick of it if I can, and I will likely be at the tail end of the pack. I'm expecting a 1:45 swim.

The bike is a lot more of the risk and Nice cycle has claimed a few lives over the past few years. What I would say, I am pretty cautious when it comes to descents in particular. I'm not going to be weaving around or slamming on the brakes at random points, I know what points the wheels lock, I am cautious of gravel etc. Also, I don't expect there to be great many people overtaking me, I'm going to be pretty near the back from the word go.

Edited by 5Sigma 2015-04-27 2:20 PM
2015-04-27 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by 5Sigma I can see there is fair sentiment of 'this isn't going to turn out well'. I would definitely agree that this will be extremely difficult for me and very painful. It's interesting to see that some people think I have chance, yet others are certain I will not. I really have no idea how its going to turn out for me at this stage. I think most people agree that it is the bike stage which is going to crush me the most. I can't really argue with this, the challenge of course vs. my experience is fairly significant. I did manage to do my 100 mile cycle yesterday and I refrained from drafting. I managed 6:47 of moving hours over the 95 miles my Strava recorded. While I was happy with the time there are a few important caveats. The course included breaks with food etc. The rest times will have certainly helped improve my overall time. The total climb was only about 60% of Nice. I didn't do a 2.4mile swim before hand, and I didn't feel at all like running a marathon afterwards. I did learn a lot from the ride though. I need to work out a pace strategy for my bike ride and I need to work out a nutrition strategy. When I did my marathon last week, I had a predetermined pace and food strategy. It worked well and I finished in good condition. Yesterday's ride was the complete opposite. I had no plan or data for pacing myself, and I kept finding myself getting hungry and running out of fuel. With some tech and practice I think I can work these out over the next few weeks, to at least give myself as good chance as possible. Riding lots of hilly miles in these next few weeks is essential. Regarding killing myself and others, I'm not so convinced. I'm not going into the event having not done an open water swim in a wetsuit, I can do the distance in the pool. The main risk is managing myself around many other people. I'm going to try and avoid being in the thick of it if I can, and I will likely be at the tail end of the pack. I'm expecting a 1:45 swim. The bike is a lot more of the risk and Nice cycle has claimed a few lives over the past few years. What I would say, I am pretty cautious when it comes to descents in particular. I'm not going to be weaving around or slamming on the brakes at random points, I know what points the wheels lock, I am cautious of gravel etc. Also, I don't expect there to be great many people overtaking me, I'm going to be pretty near the back from the word go.

The people telling you to go for it here are not people who have done Ironman races.  The people who are telling you to stop are the people who have. You have to be a special kind of stupid to ignore this advice.

Even in the back of the pack, you will be a danger to yourself.  But as I say, you'll only get 50 miles before they take you off the course.  2.4 mile swim in the Mediterranean followed by a mountain climb in the Alps, by a rider with no nutrition plan and less than ten outdoor rides, most training on a gym bike?

If you told the race director or fellow race participants how you've trained for this race, they'd never let you start.

2015-04-27 6:27 PM

User image

"The people telling you to go for it here are not people who have done Ironman races. The people who are telling you to stop are the people who have. You have to be a special kind of stupid to ignore this advice."There's a couple of people in this thread that have done 140.6 and said he could probably finish. But let's not let facts get in the way here. Carry on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed? Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Signing up for Ironman Wisconsin 2010 Pages: 1 2

Started by MikeR
Views: 9575 Posts: 27

2010-01-29 7:45 AM FurnaceM3

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1841 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at the 16

Started by newadventures
Views: 1345 Posts: 9

2006-06-08 7:59 PM newadventures

PowerBar signs on as sponsor of Ironman North America events

Started by PGoldberger
Views: 1200 Posts: 6

2005-01-28 3:00 PM scuba-punk

Ironman Arizona - I signed up!

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1136 Posts: 16

2004-06-25 10:49 AM JayC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
comments : 0
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!