General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill-only training looks pretty legit to Lionel Sanders Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-24 4:32 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Subject: RE: Treadmill-only training looks pretty legit to Lionel Sanders
If you hang around running forums there are plenty of people who will claim that it's not as good training. Even many of the "experts" in magazines and on various websites.

2015-04-24 4:32 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I just don't know many people that do it because it's just not that enjoyable.

I don't know, these 2 pioneers seem to be having a good time

Perhaps we should be talking about their minimalist shoes? So ahead of their time! 

2015-04-24 4:33 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis The thing about treadmills though is you can watch a movie. If you have nice scenery on your run route great, but when your run options are the same old city streets or the local track, maybe the treadmill isn't quite so unattractive.

I've had those days when I'd rather catch an episode of West Wing on Netflix that stare at that freaking bike path for another 6 miles. 

They are rare, but they happen. 

That happens to me on a regular basis. With the amount of training I do, I'm still getting outside a fair amount though.

2015-04-24 4:38 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by yazmaster

I absolutely think THIS guy's  (Lionel Sanders) results speak a lot for the reality of TM training being legit. 

Remember, he's not just some average guy running on a TM - he is one of, if not, the fastest run triathlete out their right now. If TMs had any sort of significant limitation, it would almost certainly be exposed by this guy's all-indoor regimen. 

It's not often than you get this combo of a world-class athlete at the top of his game using a very unusual (all-indoor running) training regimen, so when it works, it's worth looking at and re-evaluating the alleged limitations of TM training, even if it's not something you'd adapt yourself. 

I have just never heard of these accusations that TM training isn't a perfectly viable option.

I'm not disagreeing. 

However, if I were to disagree, I wouldn't look at some dudes blog post who ran well and be convinced. As I mentioned, there are many variables.

You know better people. 

Much of what I've seen tends to be people trumping things up in an attempt to justify their preference. I don't see how that helps anything. Simply not liking it is reason enough, so go make the most of what you like to do!

2015-04-24 4:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

I absolutely think THIS guy's  (Lionel Sanders) results speak a lot for the reality of TM training being legit. 

Remember, he's not just some average guy running on a TM - he is one of, if not, the fastest run triathlete out their right now. If TMs had any sort of significant limitation, it would almost certainly be exposed by this guy's all-indoor regimen. 

It's not often than you get this combo of a world-class athlete at the top of his game using a very unusual (all-indoor running) training regimen, so when it works, it's worth looking at and re-evaluating the alleged limitations of TM training, even if it's not something you'd adapt yourself. 

I have just never heard of these accusations that TM training isn't a perfectly viable option.

I'm not disagreeing. 

However, if I were to disagree, I wouldn't look at some dudes blog post who ran well and be convinced. As I mentioned, there are many variables.

You know better people. 

Much of what I've seen tends to be people trumping things up in an attempt to justify their preference. I don't see how that helps anything. Simply not liking it is reason enough, so go make the most of what you like to do!

Indeed!

Yeah, I would tend to think the issues people have with treadmills are more about calibration and limitations of the equipment. Even Lionel is running into that with the 12 mph limit. And as I mentioned, specificity. 

But in the grand scheme, I think if you can get your workouts in that stimulate the systems  they are supposed to, than it's probably not going to limit your performance much. If you can execute a Vo2 Max workout, or a LT workout at a given pace for a given time then go for it. You even have the benefit of a pace being set and not having to think about it.

And then ultimately, what you are saying Ben, about not liking it. I think that is why more people aren't doing this. It doesn't mean it's not effective, it just isn't desirable for most people. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-04-24 4:46 PM
2015-04-24 7:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, there can be some issue with that. I've been lucky as the ones where I run seem to be of decent quality and the guy running the gym really takes care of things. He's listened and investigated everything I've brought up. I see this issue in a different view though. Think about when someone runs around a city loaded with tall buildings, or trails with lots of overhead foliage or mountains. You never hear about the run being "not legit" because the Garmin was off or dropping the signal. It's just accepted and people move on. But the mere possibility of a treadmill having such an issue causes some to bring the pitchforks wanting to burn them all down.

2015-04-24 8:22 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

When one of my twins was about 3 she got on our treadmill and her sister pushed the speed button higher and higher.....she got thrown off the back of it and pinned between the belt and the wall while the belt took some skin off her legs.  She thinks Sanders is full of it.

Hey be careful about kids and toddlers around TM for real. It's no joke. Mike Tysons's 4 year old daughter died from an accident involving a treadmill, for real.

Brother....if I had not been there to grab her that thing would have ate her alive.  As it was, I can laugh about it now.....but it was pretty ugly. I had just got off the treadmill and was in the next room when the screaming started.  Bad dad day for sure.

2015-04-26 7:37 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

I was on the treadmill one night when my six year old was close to the back, tripped, fell onto the back of it and got spit right off. It didn't really hurt her but scared the crap out of her. She didn't stop shaking for 10-15 minutes.

You've got to have a really nice (commercial) treadmill if you're going to put 50+ mpw on it. I don't think my body or my treadmill could handle that much weekly usage using the treadmill I've got.
2015-04-26 9:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Well I for one am glad I am not totally wasting my time on a TM. I run there because it is more forgiving on my reconstructed knee and my replacement hip. I do not like to run, but I still want to do an IM. My doctor is happier with me on a TM than running outdoors.

Bottom line for me is I will do 95% of my running on a TM to get ready for my IM. I will push the two things I do well, swim and bike, and take whatever I can get on the run. Once the IM is behind me, it's Aqua-Bikes all the way.

So critics be damned, I will accept this as good news knowing I will never work as hard as a pro athlete, but do my best. Can't ask for more than that.

Edited by Stuartap 2015-04-26 9:27 PM
2015-04-26 9:54 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Exactly......running is one of my great joys in life. I can even find someing to love about a pre-dawn trot around a loop I've done ten zillion times before. But treadmill, nope. It's just......exercise. I use it only when I have no other options due to weather, safety, or logistical reasons. (Plus, for some reason, I can't watch anything while running on them without getting vertigo.) I don't think I'd feel any differently if I were a pro athlete.

2015-04-28 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Sergio Reyes won the marathon nationals training exclusively on a treadmill a few years back. He's a 2:14 marathoner.

2015-04-28 9:41 AM
in reply to: goran007

User image

It would be nice if people simply acknowledged that treadmill running was just another variation of environment and surface-- just like road is different from trail is different from track-- all have their place in training and all can be good for training (and when used properly won't make you slower!). We all have different preferences.

I am in South Florida now where temperatures start at over 85 in the morning and are rising to 100 in the afternoon. While I still love running outside, I also love being in the cooler gym in the controlled environment of the treadmill. Don't take either away from me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill-only training looks pretty legit to Lionel Sanders Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Lionel Sanders wins Ironman Florida

Started by Scott71
Views: 1043 Posts: 5

2014-11-02 10:01 AM bcagle25

The next olympian - Lionel Sanders?

Started by Jpro19
Views: 1257 Posts: 5

2013-09-30 7:54 AM Jpro19

swich.io.......seems legit and pretty cool!

Started by Joes32
Views: 639 Posts: 1

2013-07-28 4:42 PM Joes32

I looked pretty awesome...

Started by Danno77
Views: 2558 Posts: 23

2012-04-21 12:05 AM amybecca

My options for a bike...this isn't looking pretty

Started by JG_GreenCoast
Views: 2901 Posts: 22

2010-12-26 7:15 PM CBarnes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : February 4, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Here are our most popular questions for training during the off season. Everything from treadmills to heart rate monitors to core strength.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 4
How important is it to train on the actual road vs. treadmill and on a real bike vs. spinning classes?
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.
date : October 30, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Off season training, nutrition, faster run, strength training, treadmill and more.

date : May 3, 2005
author : smeeko
Have you ever wondered about the benefits and drawbacks of treadmill running?