General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to tris - fear of transitions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-24 3:32 PM

Subject: New to tris - fear of transitions
Hi everyone. I really want to complete my first tri this year but I have this incredible fear of transitions; mostly the logistics of them. How do you change clothes from swim to bike and bike to run? I am a fairly large busted woman and need to wear specific sports bras for running so would I swim with that on and wear it all the way through the race? What about bike shorts?

These may seem like stupid questions but I'd like to get some guidance from people who actually do this stuff before I sign up for my first. Thanks!

2015-04-24 3:51 PM
in reply to: tldenison

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: New to tris - fear of transitions

Top recommendation for a new triathlete: get a pair of "tri-shorts". They are like bike shorts but the pad is much smaller so you can swim and run in them.

The idea is you swim, bike, and run in one outfit, no changing of clothes. Trying to put on clothes wet after the pool can be difficult!

2015-04-24 4:18 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Try shorts, or any kind of tight shorts in a material that dries quickly (assuming your first try is a sprint, you won't be in the saddle long enough to need padded shorts.
Sports bra (again, quick drying material). If it's cold and/ or of you don't want to bike and run in your sports bra, throw a shirt on (or a light jacket) at T1.

Good luck!
2015-04-24 4:56 PM

User image

In every race I know of other than a full Ironman (which includes changing tents) you cannot easily do a full clothing change during the race.

You wear the same sports bra though the whole race. If you invest in a tri kit you'll wear your sports bra under even though they have a pretty much useless build in bra and you'll wear the tri kit through the whole race.

If you don't want to buy a tri kit for your first race. Many people will race in a swim suit with the sports bra under and then put on shorts for the run. It's possible to put on bike shorts but I think it would be really tough with wet skin. But I have heard of people doing that.
2015-04-24 5:16 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Durham, North Carolina
My biggest fear when I started was being what I thought was practically naked in public. That fear instantly went away when I got to the race and everyone else was wearing the same thing. Its scary at first, but remember that there will be a bunch of other new people thinking and feeling the same way as you. Everyone will have nervous jitters and you will meet lots of cool people. As a male I can't help you with what to wear up top, but I highly recommend tri shorts. A tri top is extremely humbling, but probably your best option.
2015-04-24 9:05 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Aside from the clothing suggestions I would suggest practicing transitions. Familiarity builds confidence.

2015-04-25 5:00 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

I also can't comment on the up top situation, but I bought a pair of tri shorts before my first race because I figured if I didn't like it, they could be bike shorts. I just used a cycling jersey on my top that I put on after swimming. I just invested in a tri suit and it sure makes life easier but that's after 2 seasons of shorts and jersey
2015-04-27 8:05 AM
in reply to: engima

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Don't fret about body consciousness. I have stood in transition getting my space set up and been gently applying body glide to myself and nobody bats an eyelid.

Do try to find a solution where you can avoid the minimum of changes during transition. Getting even a t shirt, cycle jersey or tank top on your wet body can get you into all sorts of trouble. The initial idea of coming out of the swim in a wet tri-suit or swim suit and then riding it it sounds gross but the materials used in the manufacture dry quickly. That said if you are not trying to crack the top 3 in your AG then take the extra 30 seconds to towel off in T1 and feel more comfortable.

2015-04-27 9:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Fellow large breasted woman here. I actually started with a duathlon because I couldn't figure out the clothing for tris, so I understand your concerns.

Here is what I do. I wear tri shorts (designed for swimming, biking, and running) and a black sports bra for the swim. Like you, I am very particular about my sports bras. Fortunately, the one that I like comes in black and is opaque even when wet, although if it came in a fun color, I would wear that. As someone who is formerly obese and currently over 40, I don't have the taut stomach that I would need to be comfortable running and riding in just a sports bra, but if any other woman does, more power to her. So I throw on a light-weight, full-zip bike jersey in T1. Because it is full-zip, it goes on easily, even when I am wet, and because it is lightweight, I can run in it. My transitions are very fast, usually some of the fastest in any race, so this doesn't slow me down.

I agree with the advice to practice transitions. Set up everything and practice putting on your helmet, gloves, etc... Keep in mind that you will have very limited space in a race, so you can't have everything spread out. One of the most useful things that I was told was to put baby powder in your socks so they slide easily onto wet feet.

Go out there and have fun. There will be all body types and experience levels, so don't let anything intimidate you.

Edit: I swear by Skin Sake as an antichafing cream for under the bra. It holds up much better than Body Glide for the swim and bike to get me through the run.

Edited by happyscientist 2015-04-27 9:23 AM
2015-04-27 2:06 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

In addition to the suggestions to buy tri shorts and a tri top than can be worn through the entire race to eliminate the need to change in transition, there's one other thing to experiment with in training that may help keep things more comfortable for running.  I have clients (and my girlfriend, so I do have relatively intimate knowledge of this even though I'm male   who wear more than one sports bra on top of each other as a way to provide additional support.

Maybe some women can chime in regarding their experiences with with approach.

2015-04-27 3:21 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

I am thrifty and see no point in buying 1 of those fancy suits until I know I really need 1. I race in my swim suit (it's already form fitted) and a sports bra. It is surprisingly not my favorite 1 for running. I had to practice swimming, running, and biking in a few different combinations before I found something that worked. I had 1 combination where the ladies became escape artists!

I don't add shirt or shorts I just go on in what I have on. I've done 2 sprint tri and 1 swim/run race in this combination. I've only heard words of encouragement from the other competitors and spectators. My suggestion to you is see if you already have a combination of items that will support you and allow free movement. Also, don't forget the body glide or other anti-chaff stuff. I find that the wet bra rubs even worse but the cream makes it a dream.

2015-04-27 3:52 PM
in reply to: Sillygal

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
As a guy I am of little help with your specific issue but can comment on tri designed apparel. I went ahead and invested in a tri suit very early in the game. I had serious doubts about mobility and beings wet on the bike but having practiced with it before my first race eliminated any fears.

I had no issues swimming in it and they dry so quickly before you can settle into a rhythm on the bike the suit is dry. My guess is it would be the same thing for tri shorts and/or tri tops.

As others have said, don't worry about what anyone else may think whatever your choice. Tri people are nothing but supportive.

Go out there and have a great time.

2015-04-28 12:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Oregon
I bought all the gear for my first tri. I researched a ton and spent like $800 on everything (not including a bike, of course which was another $800)

My friend decided to train and race with me but she is a working adult/college student and very short on cash. She is very large chested and swam in her favorite running sports bra and knee length tight leggings. She threw on a tank top for the bike/run that already had her number pre-pinned on it and she was good to go. She literally spent $0 on gear since she already had goggles and she rode her $120 hot pink fixed gear bike that she already owned.

Oh....and she beat me by like 4 minutes.

just find the shortest distance race you can as your first race and see how it goes with pretty much the gear you have on hand. Tri-shorts are a nice touch though, but you can get them now or later. Once you go through the motions you'll see it's not that scary. Half the stuff I bought wasn't necessary; though I still use it because it is good stuff....but people pass me all the time with way crappier gear.

Edited by themissj1981 2015-04-28 12:39 AM
2015-04-28 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
First of all, not a stupid question. This is BEGINNER triathlete and we are here to help.

I did buy a pair of tri shorts for my first tri, but if you are doing a sprint and you know the bike seat won't bother your unpadded bottom, you could easily do it in tight shorts or capris for the swim. You should dry off enough on the bike that you won't chafe on the run. I did my first in just a sports bra up top (as a member of the IBTC I can't help with running-specific bras) and threw on a STRETCHY shirt in T1. Do NOT try to put on a tight shirt! I learned the hard way that if a shirt is difficult to get on in a hurry, it will be 100 x more difficult when you are wet and in a hurry. Ha! So, a STRETCHY shirt or a full-zip top if you don't want to invest in a tri top quite yet. Then when you come into T2 all you'll have to do is rack your bike and go because you're already dressed for the run.
2015-04-28 9:16 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by Stuartap As a guy I am of little help with your specific issue but can comment on tri designed apparel. I went ahead and invested in a tri suit very early in the game. I had serious doubts about mobility and beings wet on the bike but having practiced with it before my first race eliminated any fears. I had no issues swimming in it and they dry so quickly before you can settle into a rhythm on the bike the suit is dry. My guess is it would be the same thing for tri shorts and/or tri tops. As others have said, don't worry about what anyone else may think whatever your choice. Tri people are nothing but supportive. Go out there and have a great time.

I also invested in a full tri suit early in my tri career. It really is a superb piece of kit (2XU 2012 full suit I got in an online sale). The pad provides good bike comfort. I don't get any chaffing which I can even get from some running vests (below armpits). No joggers nipple etc.

So aside from looking slightly like an orca riding a road bike it works very well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to tris - fear of transitions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New to Tris and clothing

Started by litljones
Views: 683 Posts: 5

2012-02-17 11:24 AM RookieIM

New triathlete Tips - OWS Fear

Started by mom2reese
Views: 951 Posts: 2

2011-05-09 5:02 PM Bodaggit

What got the newest newbies into Tris Pages: 1 2 3

Started by kentiger
Views: 2775 Posts: 58

2009-03-08 10:39 PM spinamatic

New too Tris, need help

Started by Liberty8
Views: 667 Posts: 4

2005-06-06 1:39 PM imnotjoking

2004 TRIs in New England

Started by moose1
Views: 864 Posts: 2

2003-09-07 8:31 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 24, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
This article discusses how to overcome your fears into getting started in triathlon.

date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.