General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 910xt acting "buggy" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-24 5:55 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Garmin 910xt acting "buggy"
So I bought a Garmin 910xt off of ebay a couple of months ago. Got a screaming deal and only paid $150 (I think I'm figuring out why it was sold so cheap), however now it's starting to act up, in a couple of different ways. Anyone have experience with this? Here's what it does:

1. When scrolling through activities, every couple of times I hit the button it freezes up and instead of going *beep* and moving to the next activity or lap (depending on what I'm scrolling through) it will get stuck and go *beeeeeeeeeeeep* sometimes longer than others. One time it went for a good 10 seconds and I thought it was toast.
2. It doesn't always start charging when putting it in the charging clip. I fiddle as I might wiggling it around, and nothing, but if I leave it and walk away, at some point it will start charging again, I know this because when I come back it will be actively charging.
3. The accuracy comes and goes. The other day I was running in a park I'm very familiar with, I noticed that it seemed short. I measured and it showed me going 4.5 miles when I really went 5. I've never had that issue at this park before and it was pretty significant. Also, when I looked at the speed on Connect, it was all over the place. It ranged back and forth from a 5:30 to 11:00 minute mile the entire time and I was running steady.
4. My HRM was showing up as 0, then after a couple of minutes it showed in the 30's and 40's while I was riding. It took 15 minutes to start showing realistic measurements.
5. It will show that it transferred data to Garmin connect but nothing new shows up. It will take 3 or 4 times to upload workouts.
6. It randomly turned off today while sitting on my desk transferring data.

I'm getting a bit nervous as I'm doing my first IM soon an I really want to have the HRM for pacing my bike and I'm afraid it will die. I've seen where you can do a reboot that will return it to factory settings, I'm planning on trying that but I'm afraid it might not come back. If anyone has any experience with any of these I'd appreciate any input.

2015-04-24 6:03 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Subject: RE: Garmin 910xt acting "buggy"
I got a new 910 a few weeks back. Was using a 310 before. The 910 takes forever to find a satellite. I've also noticed the pace difference, from 5:30 up to 10:45'ish.
2015-04-25 1:12 AM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Those could all be symptoms of a crapping out watch, or completely independent and fixable.

First, do a hard reset. That will clear out the memory and whatever funky junk settings have been setup, written over with FW updates, etc. Update FW [to address #1&6]
Then, switch it to 'every second' gps recording and always wait till the little GPS signal indicator bar graphs fill all the way up before heading out. [to address #3]
Then, try troubleshooting the HRM reading...wet the strap, use gel, try a new strap altogether. [to address #4]

#2 is an issue with the spring loaded clip just not being as crisp as a new unit. Mine started doing that after the first year. Now, at three years old, it takes a few wiggles, but it always charges.

#5 is the most annoying. Try uninstalling every garmin thing from your computer. Every ant agent, GC, ant+ driver you can find. Then install the latest and more current version of everything. That's no guarantee, but its your best bet.

If you are still getting issues, contact Garmin. They may hook you up with a refurb or charge a fee. It is best to call them. Doing it via email is way slower.
2015-04-25 5:56 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

For #3 is that taking it off smart record?
2015-04-25 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 3mar

So I bought a Garmin 910xt off of ebay a couple of months ago. Got a screaming deal and only paid $150 (I think I'm figuring out why it was sold so cheap), however now it's starting to act up, in a couple of different ways. Anyone have experience with this? Here's what it does:

1. When scrolling through activities, every couple of times I hit the button it freezes up and instead of going *beep* and moving to the next activity or lap (depending on what I'm scrolling through) it will get stuck and go *beeeeeeeeeeeep* sometimes longer than others. One time it went for a good 10 seconds and I thought it was toast.
2. It doesn't always start charging when putting it in the charging clip. I fiddle as I might wiggling it around, and nothing, but if I leave it and walk away, at some point it will start charging again, I know this because when I come back it will be actively charging.
3. The accuracy comes and goes. The other day I was running in a park I'm very familiar with, I noticed that it seemed short. I measured and it showed me going 4.5 miles when I really went 5. I've never had that issue at this park before and it was pretty significant. Also, when I looked at the speed on Connect, it was all over the place. It ranged back and forth from a 5:30 to 11:00 minute mile the entire time and I was running steady.
4. My HRM was showing up as 0, then after a couple of minutes it showed in the 30's and 40's while I was riding. It took 15 minutes to start showing realistic measurements.
5. It will show that it transferred data to Garmin connect but nothing new shows up. It will take 3 or 4 times to upload workouts.
6. It randomly turned off today while sitting on my desk transferring data.

I'm getting a bit nervous as I'm doing my first IM soon an I really want to have the HRM for pacing my bike and I'm afraid it will die. I've seen where you can do a reboot that will return it to factory settings, I'm planning on trying that but I'm afraid it might not come back. If anyone has any experience with any of these I'd appreciate any input.

I found #1 and #6 go away when I delete all the old activities. When memory starts getting full #6 occurs frequently.
2015-04-25 9:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I've had little issues once in a while, but never on that level. If the fixes above don't work, I'd contact Garmin because it sounds like you have a bad unit.

If it's just computer software- definitely make sure you have all old Garmin software off of your computer (the old communicator plugin, etc.). I had to go into the registry and remove all Garmin traces. Then use Garmin Express exclusively.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-04-25 9:29 AM

2015-04-25 2:47 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

I've had issues with mine before. When things start to get crazy (e.g., long slow beeps) , I delete all activities off the watch. It seems to get real buggy when the memory starts to get full. No need to save old stuff anyway if you uploaded them to Garmin.

The current pace is always junk. I always use lap pace since know it's way more truthful. It being all over on Garmin's website doesn't seem right. I'd delete everything and then try a hard reset after that. If that fail, well you could call Garmin up. A $100 "repair" (sending you a reburb) is better than having a broken watch.
2015-04-26 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

For the 0 HR reading, swap a new battery into the HR band unit. A weak battery will give symptoms as you describe.

2015-04-26 1:49 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to try them all and see if I can avoid having to send it back for a refurb. I'm just finishing my peak week of training going into IMTX so I haven't had a chance to sit down and go through all the troubleshooting suggested here yet, but I'm hoping too in the next day or two as it continues to act quite funny. Thanks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 910xt acting "buggy" Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin Heart rate monitor acting up

Started by EKH
Views: 1144 Posts: 9

2012-05-20 4:42 PM Tripopo

Garmin 910XT purchased through heartmonitors.com -- Ship date

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 4729 Posts: 23

2012-03-05 1:17 PM b.will

Anyone try the Garmin 910XT

Started by Wesley12
Views: 3350 Posts: 13

2011-12-07 1:20 PM GaryRM

First Look: Garmin 910XT Pages: 1 2

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 8209 Posts: 47

2011-11-02 12:29 PM mjewen

Garmin 910xt released today Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by abqtj
Views: 25344 Posts: 93

2011-11-27 7:57 AM curlylk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.