General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arggh..They covered my pool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-26 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Arggh..They covered my pool
I'm pretty lucky, I have 2 pools that I can regularly swim in. One is at my local gym. Not optimal, there are lots of walkers, poor swimmers, the water quality is iffy, and lighting is dim. My second choice is a pool at a gymnastics complex near my house. This is an absolutely beautiful outdoor 4 lane pool. Water quality is awesome, always crystal clear. The owners daughter is a member of the local tri club so if there is someone else swimming, chances are good it is another triathlete but rarely are there that many people win the pool. The only downside is that their hours are kinda limited but they are always open for my long weekend swim.

One of the best part of this pool is that it is outside. It is just an incredible feeling to swim with the warm Florida sun on your skin. The heat of the sun and the cool of the water is a tactile treat. However, when I went to do my swim yesterday I found they put a tent-like structure over the pool. No more sun! The sides are open so the breeze is nice but I will miss the sun during my swims.

2015-04-26 10:42 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Arggh..They covered my pool

Why did they do that? I love swimming outside at the public pool in the summer exactly like you described but I only get that treat for a few months of the year. The rest of the year I am driving 40 min one way to get to the Y and fight for a lane between the water walkers. Still happy to be swimming!

2015-04-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I think they did it because they have lots of swim camps and lessons in the summer and kids with sun burns forced their hand. Nevertheless, I'm still bummed
2015-04-26 3:34 PM
in reply to: #5110878

Me. Also being in Florida, I would love that. I don't need that much sun.
2015-04-29 7:54 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
They could be trying to save on chemicals.

UV rays eliminate chlorine residual in outdoor pools very quickly (much faster than it would dissipate in an indoor pool). This can be remedied by adding other chemicals, but different states/localities have varying health codes regulating that kind of stuff.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arggh..They covered my pool Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Going from 25yd pool to 50m pool

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 1897 Posts: 18

2009-06-02 1:40 PM E=H2O

Pool PR & getting frustrated with the Y pool people

Started by merlin2375
Views: 1915 Posts: 22

2009-04-22 6:42 PM popsracer

My gym pool, er recreation pool , lap swimming and venting

Started by rxman
Views: 2310 Posts: 19

2008-06-26 3:54 PM leesure

Short pool vs Long pool

Started by davegibb
Views: 1392 Posts: 9

2008-04-25 8:01 PM monkeyboy64

25m pool vs 50m pool

Started by getsome
Views: 1301 Posts: 7

2006-06-14 4:06 PM Stitch26.2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
comments : 1
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
comments : 0
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : March 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Most of us belong to groups and there will always be pressure to keep up. It may be underlying or it may be outright, but no doubt, that pressure to go faster is always there.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.
date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.