Jones Racing Company
46F / 8C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 17s
Overall Rank = 35/247
Age Group = 48
Age Group Rank = 6/18
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:15 - I was pretty much packed up so ate my typical oatmeal breakfast; and started looking at the weather. It was much colder than the forecast so I grabbed a heavy later (can you say coat?)/ Aired up the tires and out the door before seven.

Its my local gym so lots of local knowledge. Went to my transition spot (thought it was a great one it actually was a problem as my spot was in a puddle). Got my chip marked up and set my bags down.
Event warmup:

Plan was a quick run activation followed by a swim. Did I mention it was cold and damp - the run activation happened but never felt loose. Hit the bathroom and inside to swim - but the main pool was not open (unless I missed it) - hit the warm pool for a quick 100. Wanted to swim but now I was cold.

Back to main pool and waited for my start time.
Swim
  • 08m 44s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decided to not do flip turns this year - last year was a disaster. In hindsight, maybe not the best plan? Time was 7 seconds slower than last year but in line with my swim times.

Passed 5 people
What would you do differently?:

Flip turns I guess when I could.

Swim more (yeah I always say this)
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Decided during the swim to throw the socks - which when I got them were soaking wet, but still valuable. Also add a bike fleece thing my wife bought me three years ago that I have never worn today.My T1 suffered by adding all the gear.

I had my glasses on for like 2 seconds by they were so foggy I threw them off.

out the socks on top of the shoes.

Here is the crazy thing. It is 30 degrees warmer 2 hours due south. It was one of those damp cool days we get
Bike
  • 37m 3s
  • 20 kms
  • 32.39 km/hr
Comments:

Slower by a minute than last year; again a weird situation were I passed everyone until almost mile 12 when two guys in my age group with later swim times came ripping by me. Demoralizing to say the least.

My legs were stinging from the cold about 5 miles in. Both hips started to lock up as well. Not sure if this was from the cold as well?

Felt like I was riding hard but with no one to race or chase it was a personal time trial in the cold - not my strong suit

Because of the weather and my schedule - I have been outside 5 times before this. So many great days where I was running and so many bike days that were nasty; my bike fitness felt very good heading into the race.

I compared this time to the race two years ago which was rainy and not quite as cold; still a bit slower. AG rank was good and overall rank was good to so I guess overall not too terrible.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I did not bike with shoes off which I traditionally do - see the cold and wet. In T2, took time to pull of the fleece coat thing, take off the socks which were really wet - and my feet would not get in my shoes well. Struggled here.

I thought I might leave the socks on but they were useless
Run
  • 23m 50s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 46s  min/km
Comments:

Fasted 5k triathlon run ever - simply out it was my first ever sub 24 run and I felt great

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and started checking results. JRC has like instant results which was awesome. Realized pretty quick I was out of the money in my AG and I started getting cold quick.

So literally no warm down. Headed back inside. JRC has a great feature where with a QR code you get your results. Started looking at my splits and scratching my head.

Long shower, packed up and headed home. My stuff in the transition area was completed totally wet - everything was just soaked thanks to the puddle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Like I said this one had me stumped. I felt great going in - rested and fast. I had run the Tar Heel 10 miler the weekend before but felt recovered by Wednesday. Did a 30 minute of so quick temp bike/run Saturday and felt really quick especially the bike (spin bike).

The weather certainly made a difference. The guy who won the age group last year was 1:44 slower this year and I was 1:28 slower so that feels like to like. My transitions were truly bad.

The cold was definitely the factor - got in my into mind pre-race as much I tried to block it out.
I hate riding in the cold but had no choice today.

Refuse to let myself get too down - the fact that I closed on the AG winner from last year (he finished 3rd this year - a bunch of newly minted 45 year olds in the AG showed uo)

Event comments:

One of my favorites - in my backyard as I swim at the pool and its my gym. This was my first triathlon ever and I make this a priority to come back plus Jones Racing is simply top notch. Can not say enough good about them.

The lack of volunteers this year was troubling.A couple important bike turns were unmanned this year which could have been missed.

Last updated: 2015-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:44 | 500 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 69/247
Performance:
Suit:
Course: 500 yards in a pool snake swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:03 | 20 kms | 32.39 km/hr
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 23/247
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: loop course with some hills
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:50 | 05 kms | 04m 46s  min/km
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 66/247
Performance: Good
Course: out and back that I run weekly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-04-26 2:18 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Huntersville Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Huntersville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Huntersville Sprint Triathlon

Started by sschaar
Views: 883 Posts: 1

2013-04-28 4:10 PM sschaar

Started by ckb_nc
Views: 1025 Posts: 1

2013-04-28 1:46 PM ckb_nc

Started by avoidableNAIL
Views: 916 Posts: 1

2012-04-30 8:43 AM avoidableNAIL

Started by copro
Views: 945 Posts: 1

2012-04-30 7:43 AM copro

Started by soccerpmw15
Views: 916 Posts: 1

2012-04-29 4:37 PM soccerpmw15
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.