General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best running shoes , medium support ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-26 5:24 PM

Veteran
Subject: Best running shoes , medium support ?
Hi
What running shoes do you recommend for medium support ,I currently have brooks Ravenna but been told these are to heavy on structure and support and I should get a lighter shoe and only medium support ?

I want to buy these online rather than go to a sports shop to get my feet tested etc

Any suggestions ?

Only need them for 5-10k runs 3-5 times a week

Thanks

2015-04-27 7:38 AM
in reply to: Bigdave001

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: Best running shoes , medium support ?

Is there a particular reason why you don't want to go to a running shop to get a proper fit?  It really is the only way you should be buying running shoes in my opinion.

2015-04-29 5:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Best running shoes , medium support ?

Firstly- other common shoes that fit into that category of medium support, perhaps with a little less structure than your Ravenna, would be the Saucony Guide, and the ASICS GT2000.  Maybe a Nike lunarglide?   If you want a little lighter than that, and don't mind dropping down to 4mm drop, the Brooks Pure Cadence (my current favorite) has pretty darn good support for a soft, cushiony shoe- with noticeably less 'structure'.   they're all great shoes.  I have no idea, which- if any, will work for your feet.

Here's the rub (pun intended).  Yeah- you wanna' save a little time/money by ordering on line.  But having a shoe with the right fit, vs almost the right fit- is like the difference between lightning and the lightning bug.  Dealing with blisters, sore feet, injuries are just not worth the extra $30 you may pay at a running shop.  There's no way to tell how a shoe feels by reading reviews.  They'll point you towards shoes to try on (and by all means, try my suggestions on), but you may fall in love with a Saucony Mirage or Fastwitch a Brooks Racer ST, a ASICS DS Trainer, or a Adidas Adizero Tempo.  -all of which are mildly supportive, less structured shoes than your Ravennas.

And this is before you get into 'specialty' brands with some unique features, such as the Newtons, Atra, and of course HokaOneOnes.

have fun. 

My never-ending search for the perfect running shoe continues...

edit:  just reread your post.  I wouldn't consider the Ravenna to be a heavily supportive or structured shoe.  Even the next step up in the Brooks line, the Adrenaline GTS, is pretty compliant for a supportive shoe.   They're both great all-around training shoes.  The Beast... now that one's too structured.    I wouldn't go much lighter than a Ravenna class shoe, unless you're particularly light and are regularly doing more than 35-40mpw.  Or, need a 5K race shoe.  

Edited by morey000 2015-04-29 5:03 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best running shoes , medium support ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

recomends on good winter running shoes

Started by Artist
Views: 1058 Posts: 5

2010-11-03 11:38 AM gsmacleod

low price but good quality running shoe

Started by LycraCladChamp
Views: 1507 Posts: 15

2009-09-23 8:22 PM Johners

Good shoes for running sockless

Started by ksb
Views: 894 Posts: 7

2007-07-30 4:02 PM getsome

Pearl Izumi running shoes, good or bad idea?

Started by the_patagonian
Views: 1157 Posts: 7

2006-11-28 12:19 PM speedball

Running shoes--good brands? Pages: 1 2

Started by sharonnagy5
Views: 3437 Posts: 46

2005-04-08 8:37 AM sharonnagy5
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 0
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.
date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.