General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have been neglecting the bike...now what? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-27 10:40 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Subject: Have been neglecting the bike...now what?
Like so many other triathletes with no formal swim training I have spent the majority of my first 2 years of training just learning to swim properly. I've joined a master's swim team and feel like I am finally starting to "get it". I'm still slow as hell, but I can do it and have regular coaching.

And...running is not a problem for me. I do several 5k and 10ks per year in respectable times.

Which brings me to the bike. Because I have limited time to train I usually only ride once per week. All the races around here are on flat courses but I live in a very hilly area, so my training is on hills. And, I basically hate it. I don't feel like I'm getting much faster on the hills. I don't feel like I know how to shift properly. I just feel like a newbie on my bike.

Should I drive to flat parts of town to do my training? Or is there inherent benefit to training on the harder terrain? Should I start using a trainer? How do I go about setting up a workout plan with a trainer? Should I swap a run or swim workout for biking? I'm afraid to let any of my fledgling swimming skills backslide...so I guess it would have to be giving up a run.

Thanks for any advice.

2015-04-27 10:57 PM
in reply to: themissj1981

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Have been neglecting the bike...now what?
Also an Oregonian when not over here, so I hear you about the hills. You definitely should be riding more than once a week if you want to make progress in triathlon. If outdoor riding is only practical on the weekend, then I'd definitely look into getting a trainer. It's well worth the few hundred dollars investment. There are plenty of training programs to structure your workouts--Jorge's off-season program on this site is a good start.There are also videos you can purchase or stream online, like Sufferfest. Most programs will ask you to do one or more "tests" where you cycle at max effort for a period of time and get heart rate or power data, then workout are structured as so many minutes at whatever %. It's not thrilling but effective use of time. Watching Tv or videos and some good music makes it more bearable. That way you could spend maybe two days during the work week working on power/speed and save the longer outdoor ride for the weekend. Hills are great for endurance, if nothing else! You didn't mention how often you run, or how many workouts you want to do per week, so hard to advise on that, but 3 rides a week would be great; even two is better than one and at least would let you get two different kinds of training stress on the bike each week.

Are you in Eugene? If so, look into the GEARS rides (or other bike groups in your community). I was very intimidated at first as cycling isn't my strong point (have a run and swim background) but most clubs have different levels/speeds of rides and some are very beginner-friendly.
2015-04-27 11:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Oregon
I am in the greater Portland area...Mt Hood is more like it actually (hence the hills).

I currently run 4x per week (I can often fit these in during my work day if one of my patients no-shows)
I currently swim 3x per week with the masters swim team practices, and maybe do 2 other swims on my own in a month.
I currently bike 1x per week, on a weekend day.

That is not counting when the weather is nice and I don't have any meetings where I have to dress nice I will occasionally bike commute to and from work 7 miles each way. but that is maybe just 3 or 4 times per month. it is really quick, so it barely counts as a "workout".

So I generally work out about 9x per week on 6 different days, but I can't really do much more than that due to work and family commitments.

Edited by themissj1981 2015-04-27 11:45 PM
2015-04-28 4:29 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It depends on your goals, but it sounds like you could easily work in a trainer ride by keeping the trainer at work, if nothing else. They're also handy if you need to do a workout at home while still being available for family. I know there are people on this site and elsewhere who use a trainer while on call at the hospital, and even on military aircraft carriers and submarines! I use my trainer a lot here as it's only (semi)safe to ride outdoors early morning on weekends. Since running is a strength, you'd probably get the greatest bang for your buck by switching one of the runs for a trainer ride. The trainer's also nice to have in winter (or Oregon summer?) if cold weather, fog, or rain make outdoor riding unsafe or just too miserable. If you happened to have a bigger window of time, you could throw in a short "brick" run outside after the ride.

If you're mostly racing on the flat, then you might want to do some of your weekend rides on a flatter route. Hilly riding is probably fine for general conditioning, but closer to race time you might want to work more on steady pacing and gearing on a course more similar to the race. I have the opposite issue here when I train for a hilly race as we have no hills. The trainer is good for that as you can simulate terrain by upping and lowering the resistance (like going up and down hills), or riding for longer periods at a fairly constant resistance/effort/heart rate (to simulate riding on a flat course).
2015-04-28 5:49 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by themissj1981  . . . Should I drive to flat parts of town to do my training? Or is there inherent benefit to training on the harder terrain? Should I start using a trainer? How do I go about setting up a workout plan with a trainer? Should I swap a run or swim workout for biking? I'm afraid to let any of my fledgling swimming skills backslide...so I guess it would have to be giving up a run. Thanks for any advice.

You might consider signing up with Trainer Road.  TR is $10 per month and if memory serves there is a discount if you pay a year at a time.  You will need a trainer (on the website there is a list of approved trainers that will work with TR), a speed sensor and a PC (I think it will also work with a smartphone).  You don't need a power meter.  Trainer Road has capability to use "virtual power" so you can train with power without the expense.  There are multiple training plans in TR so you won't have to wonder what you should be doing - essentially just pick a plan and go with it.  If you go with TR it is important you still do some rides outdoors as TR will not improve your bike handling skills.

You can learn more about Trainer Road at http://trainerroad.com.

Edited by k9car363 2015-04-28 5:57 AM
2015-04-28 7:18 AM

User image

As someone who lives in a very hilly area but has ridden all over the country, I would much rather go from hilly to flat than the other way around. You are training under hard conditions, and even if you don't feel like you are making progress, they really help your fitness.

2015-04-28 7:55 AM

Actually, you should embrace the hills. You almost certainly don't like them because hills make you work - you can't hide from them and coast easily. If you get stronger and riding the hills, you will get even stronger on the flatlands. You don't have to ride the hills that are so steep that you can't even get up it, but if you can at all get up the hills, even if it's devilishly hard, it's a good thing for you to target to improve your training. 

Most folks would kill to have such hill access within easy riding distance of their homes, and many folks drive quite far to get such hills. 

As for training during the week when scheduling is tough and rush hour traffic and darkness limit you, an indoor trainer is a good solution. But you should still ride those hills!

2015-04-28 1:09 PM

If you hate riding, why not just continue to have fun swimming and running? If you want to improve on the bike, you'll need to put at least three sessions in a week. Training in hills or flat ground makes no difference so long as you're working at it. Maybe you'll 'hate it' less once you put some more time into it?

2015-04-28 2:48 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by ziggie204

If you hate riding, why not just continue to have fun swimming and running? If you want to improve on the bike, you'll need to put at least three sessions in a week. Training in hills or flat ground makes no difference so long as you're working at it. Maybe you'll 'hate it' less once you put some more time into it?

well, I think I just hate the hills. but it's hard to say since I mostly ride hills.
2015-04-28 4:34 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
There are so many group rides in and around the city! Just find one that fits your window and hang on. Ideally, you'd ride more, but this would be the best way to get the most out of your single ride.
2015-04-30 9:42 AM

User image

Regular
Oregon
well, I borrowed a trainer and used it for the first time last night. I have no idea what brand or style it is or anything because it's old and the logos are all worn off.

I had to use my husband's fixed gear bike because the quick release on my back tire wouldn't fit into the trainer.

first thing I noticed was that in some ways it is actually harder on the trainer because you just have to go non-stop there is no coasting to rest your legs (maybe that is just because it is a fixed gear?). and there is no wind to cool you down. and it is boring, so it is a little bit mentally tougher due to boredom.

I guess that is the one really nice aspect of riding hills...you eventually get to coast down them!

But all in all the workout was consistently manageable, I kept a challenging yet doable pace the whole time without suffering too much... so I think I'll keep using the trainer at least twice a week.

How do you all log your bike trainer workouts? I have no idea how much "distance" I covered....do you make an estimate of your "speed" and log that time conversion for your distance? Or do you just log minutes only?

Edited by themissj1981 2015-04-30 9:46 AM

2015-04-30 1:19 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Sufferfest videos for the boredom. I REALLY enjoyed doing those over this winter.

I have the speed/cadence sensor for my garmin on the back, so that's how I log it. It's not 1:1 with road, so you learn real fast that you did not, in fact, just dominate a Sufferfest video with an average of 36mph and now you are ready to take on the Pros in real life.
2015-04-30 1:34 PM

They make special skewers for trainers, hence why your skewer didn't fit in the trainer. You should be able to google your trainer model on Amazon and buy a skewer.

Yes, it is a bit different in that you have to keep pedaling but it's good discipline that transfers over well when you are riding outside. And yes, its much hotter, ponds will start to form under your bike if you don't lay anything down to soak up the sweat.

As to logging, I enter a speed based on what my average speed is outside for a normal workout (rounding down as to not overstate), and use that along with the time spent. The miles calculated are estimates.

2015-04-30 7:09 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Bike is also my weakest of the 3 disciplines.

Last year after a near miss by a car I invested in Trainer Road, some Sufferfest Videos, a trainer and episodes of 24 from Netflix. And a fan.

Did not increase the overall time spent training, but found out I was WAY more efficient on the trainer. No coasting, no finding warm clothes, no waiting at stoplights. Alas, no stopping at the bakery. Also, as others have mentioned, I can get a ride in no matter what the weather, while my kids are asleep, etc.

It has been the best thing for my training. My friends keep complaining about how boring the trainer is, but I am beating them on the bike now... I can handle some boredom.
2015-04-30 9:36 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

Master
, California

Getting better at biking requires putting in the time.  An indoor trainer is an important part of that.  Like others said, for the trainer, get a fan for sure.  Then the skewer, will cost you about 8 bucks.  Once you start doing intervals or any organized trainer workout (ex: Sufferfest), you need to be able to shift.

As for outdoor riding, I'd suggest at least one on the weekend for now, since the weather is starting to get nice in the Pacific Northwest.  It'll help build your bike handling confidence and road skills.

If your work has a shower, riding there is another way to get more volume.  My commute is extra weight with a backpack and a U-lock so it can be a tough workout if I push it.  If you live in Portland, you're in one of the best places in the country for bike commuting, so make the most of it if you can!

2015-05-01 12:47 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
For trainer rides, I just log the time, not distance or speed. If I was doing intervals (by effort level or heart rate) then I record the specific workout. That would be my biking two days a week (during the work week). I usually do an outdoor ride on the weekend. When I ride here I have the AC on and a fan blowing in my face. In Oregon I also have a trainer and use it mainly for harder intervals that aren't very safe on the roads, or for bad weather. In summer, I usually put the trainer on the back porch and do the workout outside at a cooler time of day, without a fan. In winter, I just put the trainer in our unheated garage and pedal away--no need for the fan!

As others have said, structured workouts, videos, and/or music make indoor riding a lot more bearable. I often watch old Kona videos on Youtube (or other races), or "virtual cycling" videos, which are usually Go-Pro footage of scenic rides in different places. (Search Youtube for "Bob Ryskamp" to find some awesome virtual rides in the Swiss Alps.) If you have a Go-Pro, you could even tape favorite outdoor routes and watch your own videos!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have been neglecting the bike...now what? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Don't Neglect Your Mental Training

Started by kcovert1
Views: 918 Posts: 12

2009-07-03 2:11 AM MartinP

Am I having delusions of grandeur? Pages: 1 2

Started by acumenjay
Views: 3510 Posts: 38

2009-06-03 3:55 PM Baowolf

Having a really hard time spending my bike fund money

Started by jase714
Views: 2043 Posts: 21

2007-03-05 9:48 AM davidb

I am having some swimming issues...help, please.

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 1535 Posts: 8

2005-01-11 10:27 AM kepola

Well I am having some trouble!!

Started by royj
Views: 927 Posts: 3

2004-05-30 1:18 AM royj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.