General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the best OW lub for a 5mi ocean swim race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-27 10:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Subject: What is the best OW lub for a 5mi ocean swim race?
I am requesting your opinions as to what body lub to use for a 5mi OW ocean swim.?
(swim details; 83F water temp-so no wetsuit, here on Guam).
Thank you in advance for your constructive advice.

2015-04-28 7:42 AM
in reply to: spearit

User image

Subject: RE: What is the best OW lub for a 5mi ocean swim race?
If you're just in a suit, no lube needed.

If you want to use one, I swear by trislide.
2015-04-28 8:37 AM

User image

Vaseline, if you use it just be careful not to get it on your hands.  Use a glove or have someone apply it for you.

2015-04-28 10:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I disagree that you may not need it if just in a swimsuit for a 5 miler. The saltwater may cause a rash on areas that are rubbing (for me, inner arm and back of neck on occasion ) just get body glide, apply to those areas, good to go

Edited by ChrisM 2015-04-28 10:38 AM
2015-04-28 6:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Thanks.
The reason I asked about lub is that I've been OW ocean swimming 2.5mi 3-4 days a week preparing for a 5mi OW swim race. At the end of just 2.5mi I get a rub rash around my arm pits and inner thighs from rubbing together kicking and arm stroking. The water here is 83F year round so we wear just swim shorts. I know that distance swimmers use some type of body lub so I was wanting the best waterproof lub that OW ocean distance swimmers were using.
I have used Chamois Butter for the bike for years with good success but have no experience with swim lub.
Thanks to all for taking the time to help me.

Edited by spearit 2015-04-28 6:33 PM
2015-04-30 11:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Swim in jammers to avoid inner thigh chafing and use vaseline on your other bits. As another has posted have someone else apply it ... your goggles will gut really gunky if you are not careful.

2015-05-03 6:11 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Ok, today I tried Vaseline Jelly Cocoa Butter (because it was Vaseline Jelly and I like the cocoa smell) for a 2mi OW practice swim. When I got home I threw the rest of the jar in the trash. It has been 12 hours since I applied it under my arms and inside my upper arms and I still cannot get the stuff off my body. I've tried soap/water with a wash cloth, finger nails and next will be a scrubby pad.
My search for the PERFECT OW swim lub continues. ------>
2015-05-03 8:47 AM

User image

Originally posted by spearitOk, today I tried Vaseline Jelly Cocoa Butter (because it was Vaseline Jelly and I like the cocoa smell) for a 2mi OW practice swim. When I got home I threw the rest of the jar in the trash. It has been 12 hours since I applied it under my arms and inside my upper arms and I still cannot get the stuff off my body. I've tried soap/water with a wash cloth, finger nails and next will be a scrubby pad. My search for the PERFECT OW swim lub continues. ------>
Again. Body glide.
2015-05-14 3:36 PM

Westchester County
I have used two different lubes for long salt water swims. A combination of petroleum jelly and lanolin stays on and keeps away the chafe but it also really smells awful. A good friend of mine uses, and I have used as well, Desitin baby ointment. Make sure it's the ointment and not the cream. It will last for a five mile swim and gives good protection as well as some sun protection. I have never found body glide to last for long salt water swims

It is a very good idea to have it for a 5 miler especially if you have had chafing problems in the past. Remember to put it everywhere that rubs even the embarrassing spots.
2015-05-15 8:35 AM

User image

Originally posted by spearit

Ok, today I tried Vaseline Jelly Cocoa Butter (because it was Vaseline Jelly and I like the cocoa smell) for a 2mi OW practice swim. When I got home I threw the rest of the jar in the trash. It has been 12 hours since I applied it under my arms and inside my upper arms and I still cannot get the stuff off my body. I've tried soap/water with a wash cloth, finger nails and next will be a scrubby pad.

Try a dish soap to get it off. They are made to break down oils... dawn is what we use around here. I like tri slide better than body glide. It does OK for the shorter open water stuff I've done, but I can't speak to how well it will hold up for a 5 mile swim. You could try aquaphor too, but if you don't like the Vaseline you might not like the aquaphor either.

Also USMS just posted an article about chafing: http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?aid=3104
2015-05-16 6:44 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

Originally posted by bigevilgrape

Originally posted by spearit

Try a dish soap to get it off. They are made to break down oils... dawn is what we use around here. I like tri slide better than body glide. It does OK for the shorter open water stuff I've done, but I can't speak to how well it will hold up for a 5 mile swim. You could try aquaphor too, but if you don't like the Vaseline you might not like the aquaphor either.

Also USMS just posted an article about chafing: http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?aid=3104

Yea, nothing on the swim lube, but I agreee on the dawn soap. I work daily on conveyor systems and stuff. We all use the dawn to get that grease and lube that gets into the cracks of your skin off. It woprks so much better then just soap.
Joe

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the best OW lub for a 5mi ocean swim race? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

1st ocean swim "race" advice 250

Started by Bigdave001
Views: 1384 Posts: 14

2013-11-13 5:33 AM DanielG

Ocean race swims?

Started by ryanlangmaid
Views: 1121 Posts: 20

2011-12-08 1:22 PM axteraa

First ocean race day swim was awful!!

Started by dsawler
Views: 684 Posts: 3

2011-06-19 8:33 PM cmayone

I am getting nervous - .5 mile OW swim in 7 weeks

Started by mgmoore7
Views: 3300 Posts: 12

2008-02-19 5:29 PM cadreamer

First Ocean Swim Race-Finished, but need tips

Started by writers2
Views: 862 Posts: 3

2006-07-16 10:31 AM us50090
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : July 9, 2007
author : roach
comments : 0
I got battered by the ocean in the swim but I had made it out...bruised and bloodied, but not beaten.