General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike accident Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-28 2:07 PM

User image

Greenville,
Subject: Bike accident
So I am officially part of the bike accident club. In short, I was hit by a Nissan Altima from behind at 42 mph and the side view mirror caught my upper leg/glute. I am fortunate that my bike is okay, I didn't break any bones, and I am alive! This accident could have been so much worse, but does not take away from how scary this was. Essentially I was illegally passed by a car, as a truck was in the oncoming traffic lane. This guy thought he could squeeze by me but unfortunately he misjudged time and space. The amazing thing too is that I was not thrown from my bike. In fact, I didn't even fall off. I did end up at the hospital to confirm nothing was broken. I have severe bruising and swelling which requires lots of ice and ibuprofen.

Without boring you with details of the conversation and all, I am wondering if anyone has been through a similar situation, and how things were handled with insurance claims, settlements, and how much to even ask for in damages. I am not trying to make a payday out of this, but I do want what is fair WITHOUT going through the trouble of lawyers and all that. I feel like lawyers are for people who suffer broken bones and have much worse damage than I did.

I am alive, and that's all that matters.... OH, and my first HIM is in 32 days!

2015-04-28 2:12 PM
in reply to: ladyluna67

User image

Subject: RE: Bike accident
Good that you were for the most part uninjured. You should at least have your hospital bills paid. Did you have the police complete an accident report? If so I would contact the insurer of the driver. If you haven't completed an accident report you should contact the police and initiate one. This is really key to document that you and the driver were involved.
2015-04-28 3:14 PM
in reply to: sdalcher

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Been hit three time. Two minor and one very major. At least your guy stopped. None of my three did.

Most people have coverage for Medical under their auto insurance. This should pay for any medical bills. BTW - even your auto medical will pay because you were hit by a car even though you were on a bike. If you want to make this particular process easier on you, file against your coverage and give them all the info on the driver. You carrier will go after them to get reimbursed.

Beyond that, what is it you are looking for? Know that if you want to claim pain and suffering you will need to quantify and substantiate that.

Before either of those however, talk to the driver and see if he just wants to write you a check. If he has a high deductible it may be just as easy for him to do that depending on what the total amount it.

Not a club you want to be a part of so you are hereby expelled from the club, never to return!

2015-04-28 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I recently was hit by a large dog on my bike. The bulldog ran out of a yard, I was down in aero and he hit my chain ring, knocking me off on the side of the road. I landed on my shoulder, thought I was going to have to fight the dog, but he was just playing it seemed. MRI and Xray negative, but been unable to swim for a month at the peak of my season 70.3 training. Missing spring races pretty much. Hope to be well soon. Be safe out there.

2015-04-28 6:19 PM
in reply to: sdalcher

User image

Greenville,
Thank you! This was all done on the first day. Still waiting to hear about charges.
2015-04-28 6:22 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Greenville,
This is good advise. Because it happened Saturday, I already filed it against his insurance. I've heard it's possible to still get something from your own, do you know anything about that?

2015-04-28 8:07 PM

User image

2015-04-28 8:20 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ladyluna67 This is good advise. Because it happened Saturday, I already filed it against his insurance. I've heard it's possible to still get something from your own, do you know anything about that?

I've written my share of accident reports...and hopefully you got one from the police. 

There may be no charges....in fact, it's more likely there won't be.  Most police departments will not write tickets if there is not serious injury, and some won't even do it in that case unless they witnessed it. 

Your best bet is to let your insurance company take care of it.  You're likely looking at getting your medical bills paid for, and if you missed work a reimbursement for that.  You didn't have a serious injury......I realize it's serious to you, but not to an insurance company.  They will likely make you an offer that you won't like.....but unless you have an injury that hasn't presented itself yet it'll be all you are going to get.  I'm glad to hear you are OK......you were inches from a REALLY bad deal.

If I were you, I'd take what they offer......but I'd wait a month or so to make sure something else doesn't arise from it.  Once you sign.....it's settled.

2015-04-29 8:35 PM

Good to hear your are alive and in one piece
Joe
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike accident Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike accidents don't have to involve someone else :)

Started by Wookiee
Views: 1080 Posts: 8

2006-07-06 12:34 PM KathyG

HIM after car/bike accident.

Started by JimD
Views: 649 Posts: 5

2006-06-05 10:48 AM BeCivil

IM KONA Bike Accident Race Report

Started by H13
Views: 980 Posts: 1

2005-05-02 9:25 AM H13

Biking accident Pages: 1 2

Started by sahara
Views: 2359 Posts: 38

2005-01-17 11:42 AM Machiavelo

bike accident stories

Started by wrybosome
Views: 1551 Posts: 20

2004-02-01 3:30 AM TripleThreat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.