44F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 52s
Overall Rank = 1814/2442
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 155/308
Pre-race routine:

- preamble -
This marks my third half marathon, my redemption race, or so I hoped. My very first one was at this same event 2 years ago, and I finished very far back in the pack because of breathing issues and while I was happy to have finished, I was not happy with my time. My second HM was later that same year in Erie, PA, but I was undertrained. The wheels fell off around miles 9-10 when I simply outran my fitness so that race, too, was not a proper effort and I was dissatisfied with my performance and time even though it was an improvement on my first race.

That being said, I spent at least a week before this race ruminating over pace, ability, fitness, what clothes to wear, can I really do this, fearing breathing issues or knee issues but wanting so badly for everything to go right so I could finally get the HM albatross off my neck. The previous failures were very prevalent in my mind, chipping away at my confidence. I looked up an appropriate pace using the McMillan calculator and thought, can I do that?! Part of my mind (the jerk side) said no. A tiny, quiet voice said maybe. I agonized over actually staying with a pace group (I've never done that before), but which one? The safe 2:30 or the hopeful 2:20? McMillan had told me I could/would/should go with the 2:20 but the idea of actually doing it scared me.

I voiced my concerns in my blog, and some of the wonderful members of my mentor group gave me some advice and comments that made me think maybe, just maybe I can. It took a few days, but I finally convinced myself that I will never know until I go for it. Their words for sure helped me have the confidence in myself that I needed. After all, if they believed in me, I should believe in me.

- and now, the pre-race stuff -
My good pal Lindsay and I left Saturday to meet friends of ours, Joel and Kathy, who we were staying with and who were also doing the race (Joel is racing, not Kathy). We rode together to the packet pickup and expo. Shock and awe, it looks like my race shirt is going to fit this year and the design is fun, yay! Browsed the expo a little. I picked up a smaller handheld bottle that I'd been eyeing, and a 'The Stick' for Cuda for her birthday, plus we got some decent freebies (hot/cold pack, mini towel, chip clip, etc).

We headed back to our friends' house where we and another other couple (Randy and Laura) had dinner and lucky chocolate cake for dessert. Well, I joined them for dessert, I watched the Caps/Isles game alone in the living room while they ate in the dining room, LOL. Joel gave me permission, I swear!

I slept horribly, feeling like I was awake all night but surely must've cat-napped on and off a bit. We got up around 5 for a 5:45 departure. I prepared my 2 bottles of Infinit and 2 bottles of water for in my fuel belt and made sure I had my bottle of EFS. I ate my pre-race breakfast of frosted cherry Pop-Tarts and Turkey Hill iced tea in the car. We arrived nice and early and got a primo spot in the farmer's market lot.

Event warmup:

We gathered our gear and headed to the high school to wait/stretch in the gym for the start. Randy and Laura joined us about 15 minutes or so after we got there. Eventually I ate a packet of Stinger chews. As I was taking my bag out to bag check, I stood there assessing my clothing choices vs. the temp vs. others around me. I had 2 LS light tech shirts on. I suddenly decided I only wanted one, so right there in the middle of the (closed) street I carefully took off the one that I had underneath since I already had my bib pinned to the outer one, plus the under one was black and I didn't want to get too hot. Added the shedded shirt to my bag and turned it in.

While I was milling around, I spotted the 2:20 pace person, or so I thought. She was just holding the sign for her while she used the porta-john. We chatted a bit, then I met back up with my friends, wished them luck, then headed over to officially meet with the 2:20 pacer and group. Eventually we made our way out to the starting area where they were starting people in groups to prevent overcrowding. Finally our group made it close to the line and they started us! I reached up and tapped the start banner for good luck as I went over the line. Here we go!
Run
  • 2h 18m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Of course it was a bit crowded and tight for the first mile or so of the race, then things settled out and people found their paces. The first part of the race starts downhill, and it's easy to get sucked in to going out too fast. I made sure I could still see our little pacer, but wasn't too worried about staying right on her heels in the crowd. It seemed she took the first handful of miles a bit faster than the 10:41 avg. she advertised, but that was OK with me.

It was a perfect day for running - cool, around 44 degrees, I think, but beautifully sunny with a light 5 mph or so breeze. I was glad to have ditched the other shirt, and eventually pushed my sleeves above my elbows. The miles ticked by easily and quickly, it was almost scary how quickly and easily. As we passed each band, I raised my hands and clapped in appreciation. They were very enjoyable and for sure added a little pep to my step! The first few bands were mainly rock or a close variant thereof.

Sometime around mile 3 we encountered the race leaders coming back the out and back. I watched the pace groups to know when to look for my friends. I saw Joel first, who gave me a "Go Mel!" He was ahead of Randy by just a few minutes, which surprised me a little. Randy's typically a go-for-broke, go-a-little crazy racer. Next I saw Lindsay and we both headed for the center line to exchange high fives, smiles, and cheers. Somehow I didn't see Laura, but then I wasn't quite sure when to look for her.

The miles kept clicking by. I still felt good. I periodically sipped at my Infinit and water. Around mile 4 I 'ate' some EFS gel and drank some water. We got to the dreaded 5.5 mile point when my breathing issues started last time. Nope, not happening today! Shortly after that, we took a turn off the parkway into the actual park and crushed stone trails. People bunched up a bit more here because the path narrows. I could still see the pacer up ahead a bit.

My favorite portion of the run was when we were right along the stream, it was so peaceful and pretty with the fresh bright green baby leaves forming on the trees and the darker green grasses, all interspersed by delicately flowering trees. We ran through the covered bridge and were greeted by a string quartet. More smiles. I looked at my watch, saw it read 1:30, and thought, Joel and Randy are done and Lindsay is soon done! At one point, a girl in front of me dropped a lip balm as she was stirring around in her waist pouch, so I scooped it up for her and carefully handed it off.

The terrain was rolling through the park. We went over another bridge and encountered the lounge singer in his tux! Oh, he made me laugh so hard the last time and equally hard this time! I sang a few bars of the song as he was finishing. Then he launched into his next song, starting off with, "This one is for all the ladies out there! Oh, how I love the ladies!" More chuckling from me. I 'ate' more EFS somewhere around mile 9-ish. I still felt pretty good. Was I really going to do this, have the race I've been waiting for? Was I really going to hit my goal time? Was I going to stay with the pacer the whole time? Doubt slipped away some, yet I dared not entirely believe it was so.

The last few miles of the park had some steeper climbs (nothing crazy, just steeper than we had been experiencing) and some slowed to a walk. Not me, I kept my feet moving quickly and fast-footed it up in little baby steps. Coming out of the park and back on the parkway, I saw Joel coming back to meet me as promised (if he felt up to it). He told me he beat Randy and Linds had a very good finish, too, and felt good.

While we were still in the park, I had moved up within 20-30 feet of the pacer and had stayed there. We maintained this distance through water stop around mile 11-12 when I passed her as she slowed for water. I had taken water at a few of the stops just to conserve my own supply, but I didn't stop at this one. I was in 'let's get this done!' mode. We picked up Randy just after the water stop, and both guys stayed with me through the last miles, encouraging me, gently reminding me about form, breathing, etc. It was a good distraction and motivation.

I think the pacer picked it up again in these last few miles to possibly make up for some time lost in the park, because I continued to stay with her but had some faster splits than recorded earlier. We passed Lindsay and her dad who were cheering me on, and we high-fived again. I may have started welling up a bit, realizing I was going to do this - I was going to meet my goal! The pacer saw Joel, Randy and I and asked what my goal was and Joel said to her, "You! You are her goal!" We and she laughed.

The boys kept with me, telling me it wasn't much farther. "Deep breaths, lengthen that stride" Randy kept talking to me. Joel reminded me that when I could hear the drummers I would be ready to make the turn to go up the hill to the staduim. It seemed to take an eternity to cover that last mile or so. Another lady behind us was also encouraging me along with the boys, so sweet. Finally I heard then saw the drummers. The boys made the turn with me. Randy told me to power walk the hill, then give it hell at the top. Joel said, "No way, she's running this thing!" which is what I was doing. I was afraid to walk, plus I hadn't walked at all (save a few steps at the water stop to grab a water), not even the uglier hills, so I wasn't going to walk now! I sneaked a look at my watch and realized I would come in solidly under 2:20 if I kept up the pace.

Joel and Randy peeled off as I neared the top. I hit the spongy by comparison track and picked up the pace, running as hard as I dared. I passed a few people. It was the longest .25(? less, probably) mile ever! The line was so close but so far! Some guy was side by side with me, but I let him go. No sense racing him, I didn't know when or where he started, and it really didn't matter. The pacer stopped just short of the finish line and looked back. She said something I didn't quite catch as I pushed hard to the finish. I crossed the line and threw my arms up in victory and elation and hit my watch. 2:18:52 (well, technically my watch read :53, :52 was my official time in the seconds). I did it, I really did it! I was on cloud nine!

What would you do differently?:

No complaints! I think for the most part, I went fairly close to as fast as I should've for this race. Perhaps I could've gone a bit faster here or there, but I'm happy with my time.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked through the crowd to get my medal from a young girl. I was starting to feel like I was going to fall over or puke or something, or all of the above. I searched for water, found some, then bent over and leaned on a hurdle by the side of the track to recover. When I finally regained strength and breath, I walked, looking for my friends. I found Lindsay and her dad. I may have cried a bit while hugging Linds and her dad, but they were happy tears, proud tears. We got our bags from bag check, got some food, found the others, got some pics.

We went to the car, did a little clothing change, said goodbye to Randy, Joel and Laura. Next we headed to this awesome Mexican restaurant where I celebreated my accomplishment with a blood orange mimosa! :) Fresh guacamole made to order, warm tortilla chips, and sizzling hot enchiladas verdes rounded out the yum factor. Very cool place, and delicious food, we will be back!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not that I'm dissatisfied with my results, but if I had to say something in response to this it would be: fear and lack of confidence in myself.

Event comments:

The course for this race is beautiful, and held at one of the prettiest times of the year, spring, when the flowering trees in the park are all in bloom and the other trees have bright green buds. Daffodils and other spring flowers are showing off their beauty, too. The route winds through parks, by gurgling creeks, through a covered bridge, and along some interesting sights. It's a mix of asphalt and crushed stone trails. For visual enjoyment I'd give this race a 5!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:52 | 13.1 miles | 10m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/308
Overall: 0/2442
Performance: Good
10:49; 10:27; 10:16; 10:42; 10:24; 10:23; 10:38; 10:39; 11:19; 11:05; 10:51; 10:18; 10:10; 8:56
Course: The course begins at W. Allen High School and ends inside J. Birney Crum Stadium. The half marathon course is closed to traffic and runners can enjoy more than a dozen live bands on the half marathon route. The course takes you through several Allentown parks including the Lehigh Parkway, which Runner’s World magazine has listed as one of the top 100 places to run in the country.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-04-28 3:28 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: St. Luke's Half Marathon

2015-04-28 3:58 PM
in reply to: #5111540

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: St. Luke's Half Marathon

WOW! This is sooooo awesome Melanie! 

Most people are scared of McMillan predictions for a good reason. Often they aren't quite attainable and require perfect training. So congratulations, you have so much to be proud of! 

2015-04-29 9:32 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Awesome job Melanie!!

This race should TOTALLY build your confidence!! There's no better feeling than perfect race execution and you sound like you nailed it. You enjoyed the course (the views, sights and sounds), you remembered to take your nutrition and you got your redemption!
2015-04-29 12:24 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great job, Melanie!  You really gave it your all, worked through the difficult place at the end and finished strong!  You ROCK!

2015-04-29 2:35 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Melanie, that is one terrific race!  Not only redemption, but hitting the McMillan square over the head (as in, beating it) - Rock on!

Congrats on a great result and on throwing down and racing so well!

Matt

2015-04-29 2:40 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Yay!!  So much awesome in that race report!  Now that you know what we all did -you can doooo eeettt!  One of my big take aways from your report is the lucky chocolate cake at your pre-race dinner - I may have to add that to my lucky pre-race beer 

2015-04-30 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I mentioned this to you before, but here goes: YOU rocked this! It was all you, no one else did the hard work or the preparation for you, that was ALL YOU!!!!! You should be proud and happy. Now say goodbye to those fears and let's see you rock the next one.

Where is a tissue? I think I may have allergies from reading this 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Luke's Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Luke's Half Marathon

Started by melbo55
Views: 978 Posts: 10

2013-05-01 10:41 PM 4agoodlife

St. Luke's Half Marathon

Started by mchieffallo
Views: 726 Posts: 1

2012-01-27 5:17 PM mchieffallo

St. Luke's Half Marathon

Started by 50yearoldbaby
Views: 1012 Posts: 1

2011-05-19 2:38 PM 50yearoldbaby

St. Luke's Half Marathon

Started by zukker
Views: 1009 Posts: 1

2011-05-14 1:08 PM zukker

St. Luke's Half Marathon

Started by gdale
Views: 2169 Posts: 7

2011-05-06 12:25 AM kt65
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.