United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m
Overall Rank = 814/2216
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 422/762
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early on Saturday to head down to the packet pickup and cheer on co-workers running the 5k event. In a rare twist of events, we actually had rain falling from the sky! The rain made for a very soggy 5k and I didn't see any of the 5k members of team "Experts Exchange" (aka "The tEEm"). After realizing my jacket wasn't very rain proof I picked up my packet and retreated to the warm and dry comfort of home. Later in the evening I had my traditional pre-race sushi dinner and tried to fall asleep early in preparation for the early morning.
Event warmup:

Woke up bright and early and started to get ready. My right foot was a tight due to lingering plantar fasciitus, fortunately the pain factor was very low. Got picked up by one of my tEEm members, dropped off near the starting line, and found the rest of the tEEm for a pre-race photo. It was the first HM for a couple of them and they were feeling excited and ready due to our team training runs.
Run
  • 2h 09m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile is a gentle, almost imperceptible, downhill grade which feels fast as the course heads into the quaint downtown area of San Luis Obispo (aka "SLO"): past the historic Fremont theater, Spanish mission (with bells ringing to celebrate the runners) and down the tree lined main street. A few brave souls were on the streets cheering us on with coffee and signs in hand. At the edge of the downtown district the route turned around and the aforementioned grade was now ever so slightly uphill, slowing my pace just a touch. As the route exited downtown we passed the Chinese garden and fountain with a troupe of drummers and Tiger dancers. Knowing what was coming next this was a nice boost.

Next up was the first major hill and the start of the hilly section of the course. While not a huge hill in comparison with other runs, "Johnson hill" is the longest hill within city limits and has a reputation among local runners. I try to run it a couple times a week so I know how to pace it and breezed right up without trouble. We made our way to the city limits and past a crowd of spectators, it's amazing how a bit of cheering helps motivation! More rolling hills (not quite as green as last year due to lack of rain) were coming and I was feeling so good that when I hit mile 6 I could hardly believe that had gone 6 miles. The only thing slowing me down was the nagging soreness of my foot. After a turn around at about mile 7 it was back up and down the hills and to the city limits. The same crowd was still cheering and motivating as we ran past.

With the hills behind me a spectator holding a sign that said "Just remember where you started!" was a great motivator. The last 3 miles of the route were through a quiet neighborhood with a few more spectators out now that it was a little later in the morning. A group of my friends were among them and I got a "baby high-five" from a running buddy's daughter.

The last mile of every HM I've ran is when I start to feel it the distance and this was no different. Knowing the race is almost over help me push through the soreness in my right foot and the small hot spot on my left foot that felt like a pebble. With just a 1/4 of a mile to the finish there is a small but steep rise that slows a lot of runners to a walk but I kept myself running and crested the hill. The run down to the finish was lined with cheering spectators and I finished as strong as I could.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, good run overall considering my foot issues.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and found some members of my tEEm for a group picture and talked about the run. Stretched my legs then went to the first aid area to ice my foot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lingering plantar fasciitus issues cut into my training mileage. Ran a bit slower to keep from aggravating it.

Event comments:

As the slogan says, "Small town, big race". Very well organized event and a great race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-04-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 422/762
Overall: 814/2216
Performance: Average
Course: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/759762076
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-04-28 5:28 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: SLO Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SLO Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

SLO Half Marathon

Started by froglegs
Views: 1263 Posts: 2

2012-05-02 6:37 PM iswimslo

Island 2 Island Half Marathon (formerly MD Half Marathon)

Started by asgate99
Views: 1605 Posts: 1

2011-05-01 3:57 PM asgate99

Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon)

Started by willrunforchocolate
Views: 1644 Posts: 2

2011-04-16 5:36 PM linfieldpt

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by dimplespoo
Views: 3056 Posts: 2

2010-12-09 8:51 PM colesdad

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2204 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.