General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad Customer Service at Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-25 9:12 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Subject: Bad Customer Service at Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica
It appears that Helen's has this "big" reputation here in L.A. So I went in today to buy a Cateye cyclocomputer. Please note that I found the Cateye Mity 8 on Ebay for $22. Instead of waiting for it to be shipped, I decided to go to Helen's because I do get a 20% discount for being an L.A. triclub member.

So I bought the Mity 8 (for $26 after my discount). I went home to install it, and realized that I can't because of my aerobars. I find out that there is an aerobar mount which also needs to be purchased. Yet, the guys at Helen's didn't mention it to me. It is my opinion that as a beginner, I know nothing really, and as the "bike experts" they could have asked me if I have aerobars. It would make sense to ask because they could also sell me the mount as well as the computer.

So, not only did I pay 4 dollars more for the cateye, I can't install it until I get the mount. I realize its a small issue, but I won't be returning to Helen's. I received waaaayyyyyy better customer service at Triathlon Lab in Redondo Beach.

I recommend Triathlon Lab highly if you live on the Westside/Southbay area.

2006-08-25 10:32 PM
in reply to: #522619

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
Subject: RE: Bad Customer Service at Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica
cycosuicide - 2006-08-25 9:12 PM

It appears that Helen's has this "big" reputation here in L.A. So I went in today to buy a Cateye cyclocomputer. Please note that I found the Cateye Mity 8 on Ebay for $22. Instead of waiting for it to be shipped, I decided to go to Helen's because I do get a 20% discount for being an L.A. triclub member.

So I bought the Mity 8 (for $26 after my discount). I went home to install it, and realized that I can't because of my aerobars. I find out that there is an aerobar mount which also needs to be purchased. Yet, the guys at Helen's didn't mention it to me. It is my opinion that as a beginner, I know nothing really, and as the "bike experts" they could have asked me if I have aerobars. It would make sense to ask because they could also sell me the mount as well as the computer.

So, not only did I pay 4 dollars more for the cateye, I can't install it until I get the mount. I realize its a small issue, but I won't be returning to Helen's. I received waaaayyyyyy better customer service at Triathlon Lab in Redondo Beach.

I recommend Triathlon Lab highly if you live on the Westside/Southbay area.

Now, I don't want to flame your post, but giving Helen's cycles such a negative post on an influential board like this might not have been the best idea. Yes, everything is cheaper on ebay, but remember; you still have to pay shipping. Also, them not asking about our computer is not their fault...it is their fault by "omission"...since you were in a triclub, perhaps they assumed you weren't a beginner? I am not sure. When I got my bike comp. I brought my bike in and had them install it for me for an extra 10 bucks (with less hassle)...Yes, all these things add up, but flaming this harmless store for charging you an extra 4 dollars seems a little petty.

Now, I am sure you are a nice guy and mean well and you are probably just steamed that everything isn't quite ready for your bike yet...just be patient...all good things come to those who wait.
2006-08-25 10:59 PM
in reply to: #522654

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
You're very kind. I would have ripped the post up one side and down the other. And I'll just leave it at that.
2006-08-25 11:04 PM

User image

A way newbie. What is a Cateye cyclocomputer?
2006-08-25 11:21 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

Had you ordered the thing online, you still wouldn't have the aero mount.  I don't think this is that big of an issue.  Maybe 1% of bikes have aerobars, why would they think to ask?

2006-08-26 12:45 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
I agree with the rest, give them another shot and next time bring your bike in so they have an idea of what you are using!!!

2006-08-26 12:46 AM
in reply to: #522664

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
The little bike computer that more or less keep track of mph, cadence, distance, time. Cateye is the manufactuer.

Nicla - 2006-08-25 9:04 PM

A way newbie. What is a Cateye cyclocomputer?
2006-08-26 1:01 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I think you're a tad too sensitive. I've been born and raised in LA (never lived anywhere else) and I've never been in a store where a sales person did what you wanted out of Helens. I can see this happening at a small mom and pop shop who has no business but where is that? I can't see this happening at any big store, Target, Home Depot, Costco, Walmart, Ikea. If you ask for something, they tell you where it is. They don't say, and do you have A, B, and C which goes with that. If they blew you off, I can see your point.

I'd recommend Performance Bike in Santa Monica but they are just like Helens and most "big" stores I listed above.

You'd be better at the smaller stores like triathlon lab. There's another tri store in Santa Monica called tri-zombies which I've visited, they are small and may suit you better.

The only problem with the smaller specialty stores I've found is that their prices are not competitive.
2006-08-26 1:44 AM

User image

Los Angeles
Hey Folks, thanks for your comments. I am probably being a bit too sensitive about it. And I am not ripping the store to shreds, however, it is my opinion that I received customer service which wasn't adequate. That's all. Its just my opinion. For those of you in Socal, if you have received great service from Helen's, then by all means go for it. Again, they appear to have a big reputation around here, I just fail to see it. I received better service from Lloyd and the group at Triathlon lab. I passed by Triathlon Zombies just yesterday, and I do want to check it out.

And a couple of you are correct, I am not a mean or angry person, just stating an opinion here. That's all.

2006-08-26 9:32 AM

User image

I had GREAT customer service at Helens in Santa Monica when I bought my bike, etc., there a year ago. I hope that other SoCal riders don't stop going there just because of this post.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad Customer Service at Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica Rss Feed