General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-29 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
So we're a little less than six months from race day...Who's in? The title says Full Ironman but this thread is for both Full and Half distances.

If I make it to the start line, it'll be my 8th year in a row for either the full or the half at B2B - obviously I'm a fan of the event. Over the years, we've had a good number of BT folks racing and there's usually a good bit of conversation leading up to race day.

Beach2Battleship is great combination of time of year, course scenery, and friendly locale. Conditions last year were as perfect as I've ever raced in - there's usually some wind, though..

I had planned on doing the full but a shoulder/back injury thanks to a pile-up in a group ride might mean relegation to the half. OTOH, I switched to the full at the last minute in 2014 and had a great day- all will be revealed for 2015.

Good luck to all with your training..

2015-05-06 1:37 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
I'm most likely doing the full, I already have vacation lined up from work for this, just waiting on the finances to line up to sign up. It'll be my first full. I did a HIM back in May of 2011, and learned a lot about goals, pacing and most importantly proper training.
2015-07-04 1:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Looks like the half is sold out...

The last few hundred spots must have been gobbled up in rush because I checked a week or so ago and there were plenty left. It appears I am being forced to do the full distance again because I haven't registered...

It's kind of reassuring this independent race can still draw a crowd in the face of A LOT of competition from the IMNA folks...The new 70.3 in Myrtle Beach next year is going to give racers another choice in the southern/coastal/fall event category.

Edited by alltom1 2015-07-04 1:11 PM
2015-07-07 11:48 AM

User image

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
I'm signed up for the full. It's my first full distance triathlon and I'm looking forward to it. The training volume is picking up significantly now (week 8 of a 20 week program). I've read may good things about the event and I'm really looking forward to it. Bob
2015-07-08 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alltom1 Looks like the half is sold out... The last few hundred spots must have been gobbled up in rush because I checked a week or so ago and there were plenty left. It appears I am being forced to do the full distance again because I haven't registered... It's kind of reassuring this independent race can still draw a crowd in the face of A LOT of competition from the IMNA folks...The new 70.3 in Myrtle Beach next year is going to give racers another choice in the southern/coastal/fall event category.

Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head?

2015-07-10 5:21 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by alltom1 Looks like the half is sold out... The last few hundred spots must have been gobbled up in rush because I checked a week or so ago and there were plenty left. It appears I am being forced to do the full distance again because I haven't registered... It's kind of reassuring this independent race can still draw a crowd in the face of A LOT of competition from the IMNA folks...The new 70.3 in Myrtle Beach next year is going to give racers another choice in the southern/coastal/fall event category.

Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head?

Oops...Hilton Head.

2015-08-05 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi all,

I am taking a year off and just doing the half distance this year. I have done fulls for the last 3 years and I have been slacking on the training since it is only a half but I know it will bite me in the butt if I don't start training.

I have heard great things about this race so I am excited to finally be a part of it.

Kathy
2015-08-07 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Hey everyone! I will be racing the half as part of relay and this will be my first B2B experience. Looking forward to it. I know it is unique with the setup and separate transition areas.

I wanted to get some advice on trying to find a hotel room for 1 night for me and a friend. Not sure where I should try and look in relation to the transition areas or if that even matters. My friend will be doing the swim and I am doing the bike portion. Figured I would put it out there to the group for some advice as it has been a challenge in trying to find some available rooms this close to the event.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
2015-08-08 2:54 PM
in reply to: chickTSW

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by chickTSW

Hey everyone! I will be racing the half as part of relay and this will be my first B2B experience. Looking forward to it. I know it is unique with the setup and separate transition areas.

I wanted to get some advice on trying to find a hotel room for 1 night for me and a friend. Not sure where I should try and look in relation to the transition areas or if that even matters. My friend will be doing the swim and I am doing the bike portion. Figured I would put it out there to the group for some advice as it has been a challenge in trying to find some available rooms this close to the event.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I've never stayed in a hotel for B2B so I don't know much beyond the host hotel(finish area) and the Blockade Runner(near the swim start) but my impression is that any one of the web services(hotels.com, etc.) should find SOMETHING in the area. As to where to stay, there was kind of a consensus that if you were travelling with a family and it was a vacation for all, you would want to stay on Wrightsville Beach for access to the water. If it's you and a buddy, then stay in downtown(or close) for everything else(convention center/registration/expo, restaurants, etc). Bike drop off is on Friday...

Towards race day, the host hotel usually has rooms become available as folks cancel...

Good luck with your training!
2015-09-03 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi fellow B2B'ers!

I'm signed up for the 70.3, and this will be my second year doing the race.

I was wondering whether you managed to find a hotel, chickTSW? I waited until very late, mid August, and lots of stuff was already booked. I'm traveling with a husband and 2 kids, and we ended up with an airbnb "cottage" somewhere only a few blocks off of the waterfront. I hope it's good! This will be our first airbnb experience.

One of the reasons we decided to go with downtown was that it would be more relaxed after the race. I would like to hang around (as long as the weather is good), have a beer and enjoy watching the full people finishing. I missed all that last year.

On race morning, I bought a ticket for the bus headed from the hotel to T1, that will save my husband a trip to drop me off there. I'm no fun on race morning anyway!

So, I've got my longest brick so far planned for tomorrow, and 7 miles on Saturday. I'm getting excited!!
2015-09-17 9:05 AM
in reply to: melanfi

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
And we're 30 days out...

My training will hit its micro-peak in the next couple of weeks and then a full two week taper. I should be very, very, very fresh on race day.

Last year, well...those conditions were as perfect as I've ever raced in. Too much to hope for a day like that again?

How's everyone else looking?

2015-09-17 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
I am strongly thinking about signing up for the full next year, even though some friends are trying to get me to go IM Lou again. Whats the normal weather like for race day?
2015-09-19 2:04 PM
in reply to: TriathletePT

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by TriathletePT

I am strongly thinking about signing up for the full next year, even though some friends are trying to get me to go IM Lou again. Whats the normal weather like for race day?

Mid/Late Oct. in that part of the world is generally great for racing. It's occasionally been pretty brisk at the start but warms up during the bike. Think a daily range of 40-75'..

It's the coast, so there's usually wind to some degree. It's never been so bad as to be a soul-crushing experience.

It's a great race and weather conditions are definitely a feature...
2015-09-25 8:25 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by alltom1

Originally posted by TriathletePT

Mid/Late Oct. in that part of the world is generally great for racing. It's occasionally been pretty brisk at the start but warms up during the bike. Think a daily range of 40-75'..

It's the coast, so there's usually wind to some degree. It's never been so bad as to be a soul-crushing experience.

It's a great race and weather conditions are definitely a feature...

I've done the full or half for the past 3 years, although I'm not racing B2B this year due to IMKY. It's a great race. Be ready to face everything from from cold and windy (start was in the mid 30s in 2013) to gorgeous (last year).

Good luck to you guys racing!
2015-09-25 9:44 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Wow on the cold temps. I have done IMKY twice and was just looking for something different. I sound much the opposite of you actually.
2015-12-23 6:27 PM

I have signed up for Full distance and looking for a place to stay. Any suggestions? Better to stay near the swim start or the finish? I will have my family there to watch me finish my 1st full Ironman.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Kyle from CT

2015-12-23 9:13 PM
in reply to: Kfaso

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
My personal opinion regarding staying near the start or finish (I've done both): Stay near the Convention Center/finish. Grab a room now at the Hilton, River View Suites, or one of the the other downtown hotels. You wont regret it, and you can ride the shuttle to T1/swim start and walk home when done. Your family can see you as you pass through T2 as well as multiple times on the run, while being within easy walking distance of your room and all the downtown restaurants and activities. Many of the waterfront hotels are already booked, so reserve soon. FWIW, I just checked Hotels.com and there were still a few rooms at the Hilton. Hope that helps.
2015-12-29 1:50 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
I found a condo for rent on AIRBnB that was a block off the main street down town. I rented it for 3 nights,

It was great being within a short walk of the restaurants, convention center/finish line and the bus departure point for the event. Price was fine. Cheaper than the main hotels and on par with distance hotels. It was very convenient having my car parked outside my door too.

Not sure if they are going to have starting line shuttles again, but if they do then book your shuttle reservation early since these sell out. Not much of an issue if you can have someone drop you off at T1 but critical otherwise.

Enjoy Wilmington and B2B.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by JoeK
Views: 4392 Posts: 30

2014-10-23 1:42 PM GODAWGS

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by d00d
Views: 23725 Posts: 178

2013-11-04 4:01 PM kdlsch111

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by trinunya
Views: 42258 Posts: 370

2012-12-30 5:12 PM kenbert61

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by dandr614
Views: 9410 Posts: 39

2011-10-05 9:14 AM AtlantaBill

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by alltom1
Views: 59122 Posts: 743

2011-12-06 11:23 AM camaleon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.
date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: