Other Resources My Cup of Joe » pacquiao mayweather fight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-29 11:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: pacquiao mayweather fight
Haven't seen much chatter about this in here.

Anybody planning on watching it this weekend? Thoughts on who's going to take it?

Admittingly I haven't kept up with boxing since the good old Tyson days, but this should hopefully be a good fight!

2015-04-30 2:38 PM
in reply to: tzcoaching

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: pacquiao mayweather fight

I have less than a passing interest, but it does seem to me that the fight is about 4-5 years too late.  And the $$'s are astronomical!

2015-04-30 3:10 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro

I grew up watching "Friday Night From the Forum" boxing with my dad.  By the time Ali and Frazier had their first bout I was a huge boxing fan.  As an adult I have been a passing fan, mostly lost interest after the Hearns/Hagler/Leonard era....but still tune in once in a while.  I'm thinking I may try to find somewhere showing the fight.

I can't see Pacquiao beating Mayweather, but that's why they fight I guess.

2015-04-30 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I predict the fight ends with a bitten ear in the third round. 

2015-04-30 6:54 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I found this article informative and interesting:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12749248/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-fight-boxing-demise

I'd never even heard of Jack Johnson. 

Anyway, the article went on to explain what everybody already seems to know-- that boxing is dead. Our best athletes are choosing other career paths. 

I'm mildly interested in how the fight goes, but not nearly enough so to lay out money to see it.

2015-04-30 7:24 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Pro

Originally posted by zed707

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12749248/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-fight-boxing-demise

Anyway, the article went on to explain what everybody already seems to know-- that boxing is dead. Our best athletes are choosing other career paths. 

I'm mildly interested in how the fight goes, but not nearly enough so to lay out money to see it.

Well.....everyone who DOES know who Jack Johnson is will probably, at the very least, look to see who won on Sunday morning.  Most of them will try to find a way to watch.  This is the best fight to come along in quite some time. 

It's funny how many people say that boxing is going down the drain while MMA and other events are growing.......Mayweather will make enough in this fight to pay EVERY SINGLE SALARY/PRIZE PURSE of  MMA fighters for a year. LOL

2015-04-30 8:40 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite

I was a fan in the 90s 00s. Lots of good fighters. Don't watch much anymore. I have been waiting for this fight for a while. I can't STAND Mayweather. Such a self absorbed idiot. But he is good. I really hope Paquiao beats him. He can. But Mayweather has such good defense, and speed. Points you to death and you can't hit him. I'm watching the fight. I'll hate him even more if I loose $50 watching him win.

Paquiao I really like. Humble. Had quite a career. I seriously think Mayweather has been ducking him. Best fighter he will ever face.

2015-05-01 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Originally posted by Left Brain

Well.....everyone who DOES know who Jack Johnson is will probably, at the very least, look to see who won on Sunday morning.  Most of them will try to find a way to watch.  This is the best fight to come along in quite some time. 

It's funny how many people say that boxing is going down the drain while MMA and other events are growing.......Mayweather will make enough in this fight to pay EVERY SINGLE SALARY/PRIZE PURSE of  MMA fighters for a year. LOL

Yep I agree with you! I don't think boxing is nearly as popular now as it use to be, but theres still SO much money and popularity, especially around this fight.

I was just reaching that hotel rooms in Vegas were going for $750 a night this weekend, including the older hotels! And this for people not even going to the fight, they just want to be part of the party this weekend!
2015-05-01 10:10 PM

User image

Regular
If I take on the winner of this round how much can I anticipate to earn?

That's with the understanding that I don't take the bout in less than two rounds. I like to give the fans something to watch.
2015-05-01 11:27 PM
in reply to: KIELBASA

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Apparently Pacquiao is a congressman in the Philipines! crazy!
2015-05-04 8:31 PM

User image

Regardless who how much these guys are making.  Boxing is has been dead, and is now buried in my eyes.  I'm 33, and this was the first time, and last time I will ever chip in with my buddies to watch boxing PPV.  We have watched about 15-20 UFC fights via PPV and have never regretted a purchase.  

I don't watch fights because people get paid a lot.  We were fooled into it this time, but never again.  Maybe if there is hype on another mega fight where both fighters actually want to knock the other guy out and have no interest in a decision...but let me know when that happens.  My guess is it won't because you can't go undefeated (what boxing seems to cherrish) fighting that style.  MMA doesn't really care if you have a perfect record...or even if you lose half your fights.  If you make exciting fights, MMA fans want to watch.

If boxers continue to get paid mega millions despite me not paying attention...good for them.

2015-05-04 11:18 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Yeah the fight sucked...

First time in a LONG time that I splurge for a PPV event. Even had a few friends over and we all felt the same. The fight wasn't worth the hype, or the costs - I can imagine how the people who paid thousands to go sit in Vegas felt!

Oh well, less money spent on boxing means more money to be spent on triathlon!!!
2015-05-05 11:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

And it comes out after the fight that Pacquiao had a torn rotator cuff and didn't disclose it-- presumably to not risk the mega-million dollar payday. That looks horrible for boxing and the sport could hardly afford such a huge black eye. Yep, boxing is dead.

Glad I passed on the fight.

Edited by zed707 2015-05-05 11:05 AM
2015-05-05 11:47 AM

User image

Regular
I'll be the dissenter here. Boxing is making a little bit of a comeback. If you are a boxing fan and know anything about Mayweather you really got what you should have expected. Mayweather hasn't knocked an opponent out in over 7 years, that's not how he fights. He is a defensive fighter and is boring. We all watch him to hopefully see someone beat him. With Manny's injured shoulder there was no way that was going to happen. If they postponed the fight, I think there would have been more backlash. The fight had to go on.

There is more boxing on basic cable and free TV than there has been in years. NBC has a Saturday night fight series, Spike TV has a series, TRU TV has a series, ESPN, CBS has boxing on mid-day this Saturday. Showtime and HBO both have a good young stable of fighters right now. There are some good young fighters out there, the problem as it has always been is that the promoters and networks try to crown a champion well before we know what kind of fighter they really are.

Hopefully Deontay Wilder can unify the heavyweight titles in the US at some point in the next year or so. An american Heavyweight Champion could help the sport more than anything else right now.
2015-05-05 1:48 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

Regardless who how much these guys are making.  Boxing is has been dead, and is now buried in my eyes.  I'm 33, and this was the first time, and last time I will ever chip in with my buddies to watch boxing PPV.  We have watched about 15-20 UFC fights via PPV and have never regretted a purchase.  

I don't watch fights because people get paid a lot.  We were fooled into it this time, but never again.  Maybe if there is hype on another mega fight where both fighters actually want to knock the other guy out and have no interest in a decision...but let me know when that happens.  My guess is it won't because you can't go undefeated (what boxing seems to cherrish) fighting that style.  MMA doesn't really care if you have a perfect record...or even if you lose half your fights.  If you make exciting fights, MMA fans want to watch.

If boxers continue to get paid mega millions despite me not paying attention...good for them.

Jason....it's boxing.  Mayweather is a master at it.  I enjoyed what I saw of it.  The rematch will be fun as well.

I think MMA is a joke as sport.  I won't watch it for free.

2015-05-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: Its Only Money

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Its Only Money I'll be the dissenter here. Boxing is making a little bit of a comeback. If you are a boxing fan and know anything about Mayweather you really got what you should have expected. Mayweather hasn't knocked an opponent out in over 7 years, that's not how he fights. He is a defensive fighter and is boring. We all watch him to hopefully see someone beat him. With Manny's injured shoulder there was no way that was going to happen. If they postponed the fight, I think there would have been more backlash. The fight had to go on. There is more boxing on basic cable and free TV than there has been in years. NBC has a Saturday night fight series, Spike TV has a series, TRU TV has a series, ESPN, CBS has boxing on mid-day this Saturday. Showtime and HBO both have a good young stable of fighters right now. There are some good young fighters out there, the problem as it has always been is that the promoters and networks try to crown a champion well before we know what kind of fighter they really are. Hopefully Deontay Wilder can unify the heavyweight titles in the US at some point in the next year or so. An american Heavyweight Champion could help the sport more than anything else right now.

Yeah, lol......if you bought the fight thinking Mayweather was going to do anything but try to win on points, and not get hit, then you are either a sucker for hype, or don't know crap about boxing.

No one will beat Mayweather.

2015-05-05 6:57 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Why exactly do you consider MMA a "joke". You can't be serious

Edited by TJHammer 2015-05-05 6:57 PM
2015-05-05 7:01 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TJHammer

Because I can watch it on a street corner on a Friday night......I just don't care about it.  I'm sure that you guys who like to watch it think it's great....I just don't.  It reminds me of street fighting, not sport. I've seen enough of it.

2015-05-06 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

And it comes out after the fight that Pacquiao had a torn rotator cuff and didn't disclose it-- presumably to not risk the mega-million dollar payday. That looks horrible for boxing and the sport could hardly afford such a huge black eye. Yep, boxing is dead.

The flip side of this is that he'll be "healthy" for the rematch. So, it could $ell for even more. And another thing to point out here is that there is no way that over 300 million gets paid out in a "dead sport".  We may think it is dead, but we repeatedly fall for the hype. I'm no fan and I stayed away from it, because I've seen this movie before and I know how it ends.  

2015-05-06 11:48 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Because I can watch it on a street corner on a Friday night......I just don't care about it.  I'm sure that you guys who like to watch it think it's great....I just don't.  It reminds me of street fighting, not sport. I've seen enough of it.

You don't care for it anymore, which is your prerogative, but I think I can assume that you consider wrestling a sport, judo a sport and kickboxing a sport; therefore, why you'd not consider mixing them as "MMA" a sport is what threw me. Probably nothing more than a semantics argument here

Edited by TJHammer 2015-05-06 11:49 AM
2015-05-06 12:37 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by cdban66

The flip side of this is that he'll be "healthy" for the rematch. So, it could $ell for even more. And another thing to point out here is that there is no way that over 300 million gets paid out in a "dead sport".  We may think it is dead, but we repeatedly fall for the hype. I'm no fan and I stayed away from it, because I've seen this movie before and I know how it ends.  

Yep, I definitely see your point about 300 million for a "dead sport". It's just been so long since there's been a big fight like this that anyone cared about. There will probably be a rematch, then it's hard to see another match up that will generate that kind of payday. 

And I grew up being a fan. I've seen some of the greats in the sport, so I'm not eager for the sport to die. Time will tell, but to me it doesn't look good. 

2015-05-06 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Yep, I definitely see your point about 300 million for a "dead sport". It's just been so long since there's been a big fight like this that anyone cared about. There will probably be a rematch, then it's hard to see another match up that will generate that kind of payday. 

And I grew up being a fan. I've seen some of the greats in the sport, so I'm not eager for the sport to die. Time will tell, but to me it doesn't look good. 

Agreed. I think that is the reason that so many bought into the hype. We want it to be "the fight of the ____" 

2015-05-06 2:40 PM

User image

Pro

You don't care for it anymore, which is your prerogative, but I think I can assume that you consider wrestling a sport, judo a sport and kickboxing a sport; therefore, why you'd not consider mixing them as "MMA" a sport is what threw me. Probably nothing more than a semantics argument here

That's fair enough.  Yeah, I'd watch judo, wrestling, jujitsu, karate, boxing, blah,blah,blah......but the one and only time I even ventured to watch MMA fighting I just thought it was stupid, needlessly violent, and a bastardization of each fighting discipline. That's all. I never watched again, nor will I.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-05-06 2:41 PM
2015-05-07 11:51 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

That's fair enough.  Yeah, I'd watch judo, wrestling, jujitsu, karate, boxing, blah,blah,blah......but the one and only time I even ventured to watch MMA fighting I just thought it was stupid, needlessly violent, and a bastardization of each fighting discipline. That's all. I never watched again, nor will I.

You make a fair point. I've been watching MMA diligently for some 15+ years now and going back to the early days, there were fighters who HAD at LEAST 1 significant background and skill in a particular area (i.e. boxer, wrestler, karate etc.) Pitting disciplines against one another to see which would be best in a given matchup is what gave root to the MMA sport and culture. So you had that. As time went on, fighters went into MMA AS mixed martial artists, with little to no background in ANY SINGLE discipline, so what has arisen over time is the "professional MMA" fighter, who, in many an instance, has no single strength of skill dominant with supportive skills and is left with an array of rudimentary skillset at best. What you end up with are sloppy, hug-type, wild swing fests or mixes of the sort. The best fighters are those most rounded ATHLETES who have a primo skill set with at least one well-developed secondary skill set to support their strength. The best put it together well - have two fighters in that condition in a matchup and you have MMA at its' best.

Look at the Pacq/May fight. Many hated it because that matchup does not lend to an enjoyable fight, unless you are all in on a skilled defensive BOXER such as Mayweather. I prefer to watch "fighters". Take Mayweather outside of the ring without boxing and boxing rules, he'd lose to many a fighter, especially an MMA fighter who would simply take him down and nullify his boxing defensive skill set, which, combined with counter jabs, is really much all he's about
2015-05-07 12:27 PM

User image

Pro

You make a fair point. I've been watching MMA diligently for some 15+ years now and going back to the early days, there were fighters who HAD at LEAST 1 significant background and skill in a particular area (i.e. boxer, wrestler, karate etc.) Pitting disciplines against one another to see which would be best in a given matchup is what gave root to the MMA sport and culture. So you had that. As time went on, fighters went into MMA AS mixed martial artists, with little to no background in ANY SINGLE discipline, so what has arisen over time is the "professional MMA" fighter, who, in many an instance, has no single strength of skill dominant with supportive skills and is left with an array of rudimentary skillset at best. What you end up with are sloppy, hug-type, wild swing fests or mixes of the sort. The best fighters are those most rounded ATHLETES who have a primo skill set with at least one well-developed secondary skill set to support their strength. The best put it together well - have two fighters in that condition in a matchup and you have MMA at its' best. Look at the Pacq/May fight. Many hated it because that matchup does not lend to an enjoyable fight, unless you are all in on a skilled defensive BOXER such as Mayweather. I prefer to watch "fighters". Take Mayweather outside of the ring without boxing and boxing rules, he'd lose to many a fighter, especially an MMA fighter who would simply take him down and nullify his boxing defensive skill set, which, combined with counter jabs, is really much all he's about

I never tuned in, but I probably would have enjoyed the early years of MMA.  I'd still watch if there was a tournament that pitted champions of each discipline against each other......that'd be fun to watch.

As for Mayweather.....he's beyond merely skilled as a defensive fighter......he's arguably the best there has ever been at it.  I can enjoy his mastery of it,  even as a guy who likes other types of fighters as well. 

For me, in order to enjoy any of these types of events as a sport, it has to be about more than just a fight, which is what I see MMA as now.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-05-07 12:29 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » pacquiao mayweather fight Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Twitter Fight at the OK Corrall in Big "D"

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 873 Posts: 3

2013-01-09 1:04 PM bradleyd3

Cat fight

Started by tuwood
Views: 1751 Posts: 12

2012-12-13 3:30 PM ChrisM

Pacquiao VS Hatton

Started by Super T
Views: 657 Posts: 3

2009-05-03 3:10 PM kmill23

And then the fight started.....?

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1353 Posts: 7

2008-08-26 5:36 PM Machiavelo

why we fight

Started by autumn
Views: 1282 Posts: 23

2007-01-09 6:10 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2009
comments : 3
I knew I needed to make a commitment to a lifestyle change. Encouraged by other weight-loss surgery runners, triathletes and even Ironmen, I set goals to become an active triathlete.

date : June 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 2
We all have our reasons for what we do and why we train. I liken my fight against heart disease to Gandalf, and his memorable “You shall not pass” scene.