General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition Bags Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-30 10:20 AM

Subject: Transition Bags
I have been using an old backpack for transition bag. I would just open it up all the way and lay it flat next to my bike for easy access. I finally retired it as it was in horrible shape and want to buy a nice new bag.

Everything I have looked at seems rather large. I meant to check at my last race but totally forgot but do people keep these large bags in transition?

I just seems they would be too large to work with around all of the bikes.

2015-04-30 11:10 AM
in reply to: houtexan

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Transition Bags
I have a medium sized duffel bag I use for my transition bag. I always take it back to the car after I get my transition area ready. Not only does that get it out of my way, but it gives me a place to put my phone and wallet. Of course, so far I have only done local races that have parking pretty close to the transition area.
2015-04-30 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

At smaller local races I usually take my bag back to my car after I set up my transition area.

At larger races, like St. Anthony's last weekend, they asked everyone put their bags along the inside of the fence surrounding the transition area to get them away from the bike racks. 

You really should only have your essential gear (shoes , helmet, etc) that you're actually going to use in the race at your rack space.  Worst case is that you can be penalized if your stuff interferes with the other competitors around you.

Mark

2015-04-30 12:10 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I received "Rocket Science Sports" tri bag as a gift. On race day, I pull all my equipment out of the bag and set up the transition and then hang the bag on one of the bike rack posts (out of the way from other racers). The bag is right there for me after the race to pack up equipment. It is like a back pack so I put it on my back and take my bike back to the truck. I use the same bag for my trips to the pool.
2015-04-30 12:45 PM

Please do not keep your bag by your bike in transition. As others have posted, only what is needed should be at your transition area; bike shoes, helmet on the bike, run shoes & race belt w/ bib under run shoes. The less stuff the better. Depending on the race you can either check your bag, take it back to your car, place it just inside/outside of the transition area fence or give it to your Sherpa. Whatever you do, please get it out of the way. No need to clutter up TA.
2015-04-30 1:39 PM
in reply to: 5stones

Originally posted by 5stones

Please do not keep your bag by your bike in transition. As others have posted, only what is needed should be at your transition area; bike shoes, helmet on the bike, run shoes & race belt w/ bib under run shoes. The less stuff the better. Depending on the race you can either check your bag, take it back to your car, place it just inside/outside of the transition area fence or give it to your Sherpa. Whatever you do, please get it out of the way. No need to clutter up TA.

My bag sits right under my bike. It's not in anybody's way and doesn't clutter up anything.

2015-04-30 2:34 PM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

My bag hangs outside the area on a post for the stand. Never had one complaint or any issues. I take up less area in the transition than people with buckets and other items.
2015-04-30 4:46 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by ziggie204

My bag sits right under my bike. It's not in anybody's way and doesn't clutter up anything.

I put mine under my bike as well. Works perfect for me too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition Bags Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rocket Science Sports Rocket Bag vs TYR Convoy Transition Bag

Started by slowfatbeginner
Views: 5490 Posts: 13

2013-01-28 7:04 PM jasonwb

Transition bag or regular gym bag?

Started by sdejan
Views: 2275 Posts: 22

2011-07-06 10:21 AM Becca4277

Transition bag or regular gym bag?

Started by sdejan
Views: 311 Posts: 1

2011-07-05 11:38 AM sdejan

Transition bag - anyone using LG Race Day bag?

Started by 2moremiles
Views: 570 Posts: 2

2010-01-12 6:15 PM velcromom

transition bags and special needs bags

Started by montyb
Views: 1004 Posts: 2

2004-03-02 7:46 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 0
I was pretty excited to test out a triathlon-specific gear bag. I'm on the lookout for something functional, comfortable, and maybe even a bit stylish.

date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.
date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.

date : March 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.
date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
A few trathletes at a local race setup their transition area.
date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
Until now, I have shied away from triathlon-specific gear bags. They were just too small for my needs. So imagine my skepticism the day the RRS Triathlon Backpack showed up on my door.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Dillion
If anyone is considering expanding their horizons and getting into doing an Ironman distance or ½ Ironman distance race, there are many tips and tricks that can help in having a pleasant experience.