General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Could I do one? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-30 2:52 PM

Subject: Could I do one?
Hi Y'all,

So I was thinking of doing a tri - but could someone like me really do a triathlon?

I have been reading and watching videos etc on the net and I see all these stories about people doing their first but they all seem to have some kind of training in the past - done some running or cycling or swimming etc. - The last time I ran anywhere was for a taxi at 4am after 12 pints and a curry. And i would get them to stop by the all night garage for ciggies and rizla papers. I'm still smoking at the moment but have been cutting down and I'm ready to take the plunge and stop all together. even at school i didnt do sports. but I have never been overweight at all. did do lots of drink & d**** in my teens and early 20s so could dance from midnight friday til sunday morning after a few doves. Obviously thats all well in the past now.

Now I do have a fairly physical job, I'm a window cleaner - and to be honest if you see me in my speedos I do look pretty damn good for a 44 y/o (in fact, I think I look good for a 34 y/o) I'm 6'1" and about 12.5 stone (that's a guess, i haven't been anywhere near a weighing scale for years) I generally have a good diet lots of veggies 2 days a week vegetarian stopped eating fry-ups about a year ago.

I also have a bit of a back and neck problem - gp has not really been any help - tried physio - still doing the stretches etc and it is bearable- I think its just from working 20yrs as a windie 12yrs carrying ladders and the last 8 using those big long poles spending all day looking up.

Anyhow, the neck issue prompted me to join a gym (only has a 15m pool ) - My plan was little bit of swimming and sauna steam room for stretching my neck and it does seem to help a little.

so after a few weeks I am starting to enjoy the swim and today i did a total of 90 lengths (90x15=1350) mostly in blocks of 10 but a couple of 20s it wasn't fast or pretty but it was good - my swim technique is not good still really struggling with breathing partly because of the water and partly because of 20ish years of smoking.

so could I do one? and would I be better spending a year working on general fitness before even contemplating a triathlon? would Olympic length be too much?

Your thoughts please.
x

Edited by jackd 2015-04-30 2:54 PM

2015-04-30 3:26 PM
in reply to: jackd

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Could I do one?

The short answer:  YES.  

The longer answer:  Y......e.......s........

Swimming is a lot of technique, but you're already swimming a lot more than many people wanting to do a triathlon.  If you go watch a triathlon, you'll see the front runners swimming front crawl that looks graceful and effortless.  You'll also see people thrashing around, backstroking, sidestroking, walking (if it's shallow enough).  

I'm assuming you can ride a bicycle without being a danger to yourself or others.  You'll likely see people riding sleek and shiny tri-bikes with disk wheels.  You'll also see people riding standard road bikes (some bikes being 20+ years old) and probably some on mountain bikes and beach cruisers.  With your neck/back problems, stick to a bicycle with a fairly upright riding position.  You'll need an approved helmet.  

Triathlon "runs" are a lot like the first two legs, the front runners float along almost effortlessly.  Further back, you'll have people red-faced and huffing and puffing, walking, limping, smiling, frowning...

2015-05-01 2:54 AM
in reply to: #5112094

Subject: RE: Could I do one?
Thanks for the encouraging reply. An update on my condition - my legs can feel every single one of those 90 laps I did yesterday!

Damn typing on a phone is hard.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Could I do one? Rss Feed