General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Altra Runners Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-01 8:27 AM

Subject: Altra Runners
Is anyone running in the Altra zero drop shoe? My local running shop suggested the Altra Women's Torin for me d/t previous plantar fascitis and needing width for my toes.
I have attempted to transition into them slowly and while my feet feel amazing, my legs hate them. Yesterday, only 1 km into my run, I felt severe IT and knee pain on my right side and had to walk home.
Is anyone else experiencing unusual discomfort?
I am so discouraged as this is the 3rd pair of shoes I've tried in 4 months.

2015-05-01 9:57 AM
in reply to: paytash

User image

Subject: RE: Altra Runners

I wore Altra'a for about 9 mn to a year.  I have a wider foot and the toe box on them is amazing.  Most comfortable shoe I have ever run in.  Transitioned over a few months from 12mm to the zero's.  Took it slow so I thought.  But I do not have a running back ground and changing my foot strike and then shoe did not end well for me.  Biggest mistake I think I made was I felt so good in them I pushed the mileage, intensity and change in foot strike.  I basically went from heal stricker to running on my toes over about 6 months.  I didn't know to back off when my calves got tight and things like that. 

I wish I could wear them still.  It took me two years to toss the pair I had because I really wanted to try them again.  Good luck on your shoe search.  Hopefully someone will chime in on how to transition to them.

2015-05-01 11:09 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

I just ran 5 km in 3 yr old Saucony Pro Grids with no knee pain - I guess the Altras shoes aren't for me,,,,,,,,,
I'd appreciate more input
2015-05-05 8:34 AM
in reply to: paytash

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I've had a pair of the Altra Instincts (first generation), and really liked them. In fact, I did my longest run at the time the day I got them -- no issues at all. But I'd been in low- and no-drop shoes for a while leading up to that. Most comfortable forefoot out there, in my opinion.

The Torin is their higher-cushioned model (aside from the Olympus), and that may be causing some issues with instability. I might suggest a lower-cushioned model like the Intuition.

I've noticed that their entire line seems to be migrating to more cushioning, which I find a little disconcerting. Considering they started out with the Instinct as their most-cushioned, and had the Adam/Eve and Samson/Delilah (very minimal cushioning), and then the Lone Peak (moderate cushioning) as their entire line just a few years ago... Even the Superior, which was a great trail shoe with very little cushioning, has gone to an 18mm stack...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Altra Runners Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Altra Instincts, with 350 miles on them

Started by briderdt
Views: 1023 Posts: 3

2011-11-12 7:05 PM briderdt

$35 - awesome winter trail runners, mens size 9.5, 10, and 10.5 only

Started by autumn
Views: 733 Posts: 7

2006-10-08 7:13 PM fenway

Kid's stroller for runners/joggers

Started by cobannero
Views: 663 Posts: 5

2005-11-03 11:18 AM bradword

Road Runner Sports Under $49.99

Started by Ron
Views: 955 Posts: 1

2004-12-20 5:23 PM Ron

Special 20% OFF Road Runner Sports through 11/23/04

Started by Ron
Views: 971 Posts: 1

2004-11-18 11:55 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Alcohol and athletics is a dangerous duo. Serious recreational runners drink more than their sedentary counterparts. This article lists several of the negative consequences of alcohol.

date : July 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
On the first rep I tore my soleus muscle. Am I ok to swim? How long should I avoid running? Will using an elliptical trainer be ok?
date : March 5, 2006
author : Team BT
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.

date : October 30, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 1
Running doesn’t cause injuries – runners do. Nine out of ten times, running injuries occur because you’re overdoing something. You’re running too far, too fast, or too much.
date : October 2, 2005
author : ChiRunning
In order to improve your running efficiency and enjoy that last leg of every race, there are three important “rules of the road” to follow.

date : July 31, 2005
author : smeeko
No matter what technique you use, running still remains a sport that requires “pain and suffering.” Technique-only training will not make you a fast runner if you don’t practice to be one.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : May 30, 2005
author : smeeko
A few factors are at the basis of increasing running speed. In my experience these factors are: variety, “pain,” time and injury prevention.