General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Right leg is more sore/tired after bike. Normal? Concern? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-01 6:40 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Subject: Right leg is more sore/tired after bike. Normal? Concern?
not every time I ride, but when I have a tough ride I find that my right leg is significantly more sore afterwards. During the ride it will start to feel tired a little bit more quickly, but not any actual pain. Then afterwards, the right leg will be more sore for a few hours (mostly quadriceps and knee)

Is it pretty normal to have 1 side react like this? Or not? It suggests to me some kind of imbalance I should correct, but I also don't know how to correct it.

2015-05-01 8:06 PM
in reply to: themissj1981

User image

Subject: RE: Right leg is more sore/tired after bike. Normal? Concern?
You may want to spend the money and get a fitting Things like differing lengths are one of the reasons for a fitting.
2015-05-01 8:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Oregon
I did get a fitting when I bought the bike (2 years ago). Maybe it has to be redone periodically? Also, I got in a car accident about 6 months ago and I wasn't injured very badly except for whiplash, but I wonder if it's possible that the injury and recovery process changed my proper fit somehow?

anyways, good point.

Edited by themissj1981 2015-05-01 8:41 PM
2015-05-01 11:21 PM

Master
, California

Also check the cleats on your bike shoes to make sure they're aligned properly.  Sometimes they can shift a bit if they're not tightened enough..

2015-05-01 11:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by themissj1981

I did get a fitting when I bought the bike (2 years ago). Maybe it has to be redone periodically? Also, I got in a car accident about 6 months ago and I wasn't injured very badly except for whiplash, but I wonder if it's possible that the injury and recovery process changed my proper fit somehow?

anyways, good point.

I get re-fit every season, usually the changes are only minimal.

Changes in form, injury etc. can change the fit slightly.

If I had pain during cycling though, that would tell me that I either need the fit changed and/or I have a muscular imbalance that needs to be addressed.

I'd be booking my bike for a fit, and if that didn't solve it, visiting my sports physiotherapist
2015-05-03 1:40 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by themissj1981 not every time I ride, but when I have a tough ride I find that my right leg is significantly more sore afterwards. During the ride it will start to feel tired a little bit more quickly, but not any actual pain. Then afterwards, the right leg will be more sore for a few hours (mostly quadriceps and knee) Is it pretty normal to have 1 side react like this? Or not? It suggests to me some kind of imbalance I should correct, but I also don't know how to correct it.

This used to happen to me at times. My left leg would be more tired. Stupidly, I assumed this meant my left leg was weaker than my left, so I worked it more. Then I took some circuit training classes which involved single leg exercises, and it turns out my left leg was actually much stronger than my right leg.  My left leg was doing more of the work on long rides and thus was more tired. In retrospect, duh!

Simple "how many reps can I do until exhaustion" will let you know if one leg is stronger than the other. Various single leg exercises (gym machines, trainer etc) can fix it.

2015-05-03 1:53 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by themissj1981 not every time I ride, but when I have a tough ride I find that my right leg is significantly more sore afterwards. During the ride it will start to feel tired a little bit more quickly, but not any actual pain. Then afterwards, the right leg will be more sore for a few hours (mostly quadriceps and knee) Is it pretty normal to have 1 side react like this? Or not? It suggests to me some kind of imbalance I should correct, but I also don't know how to correct it.

This used to happen to me at times. My left leg would be more tired. Stupidly, I assumed this meant my left leg was weaker than my left, so I worked it more. Then I took some circuit training classes which involved single leg exercises, and it turns out my left leg was actually much stronger than my right leg.  My left leg was doing more of the work on long rides and thus was more tired. In retrospect, duh!

Simple "how many reps can I do until exhaustion" will let you know if one leg is stronger than the other. Various single leg exercises (gym machines, trainer etc) can fix it.

^This.

For quite a while after my accidents, my GOOD leg would be the one getting more sore/hurt, because it was overcompensating for the weak one!

Another reason to do some good testing!
2015-05-03 6:50 PM
in reply to: #5112453

User image

New user
My 2 cents, see a chiropractor. When my back is out, that can happen to me.
2015-05-03 9:11 PM
in reply to: Quix

User image

I agree with seeing a chiropractor. When my hips get out of wack (which can happen during even a minor car accident) my left leg gets more tired, the knee gets achy -its not that its weaker but actually stronger and making up for the imbalance.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Right leg is more sore/tired after bike. Normal? Concern? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

new tri bike - sore neck, sore butt

Started by robdmac167
Views: 1411 Posts: 14

2014-04-07 6:40 PM robdmac167

Hurt, too sore, or just the right amount of sore..I need your wisdom

Started by pga_mike
Views: 961 Posts: 2

2009-10-07 8:37 PM jvanis

Normal to be sore during a taper?

Started by louiskie
Views: 3473 Posts: 12

2008-10-01 3:29 PM aquagirl

New bike: is tire size a concern?

Started by fgray
Views: 1034 Posts: 5

2008-02-03 6:51 AM Tri-FatBoy

New bike geometry = sore legs, slower times

Started by The Mac
Views: 930 Posts: 4

2007-02-01 3:11 PM bcotten534
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.