General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me with my summer training plan for a sprint, HM and OLY? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-03 4:54 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Subject: Help me with my summer training plan for a sprint, HM and OLY?
Hey all. I've got a sprint on 6-6-15. I've done this race 2 other times and though I'd like to improve my times it's a pretty easy race, I'm not too worried about it.

I've signed up for my first half marathon on 8-16-2015. I am somewhat worried about this as I've never run more than 10k.

But my big thing, my "A" race is I'm currently training for my first ever Olympic Tri 9-20-2015.

First of all, do we think that plan is too aggressive? I think it's OK but I'm no expert. 5 weeks between first HM and first Oly is OK?

Secondly, if pursuing this race plan is ok then which training plan do I follow? the HM training plan has me doing A LOT more running than the Oly training plan calls for....(obviously) not just in miles per run, but in runs per week (or miles per week).

Here's my initial thoughts...mostly follow the Oly training plan but just substitute the bigger runs until I finish the HM...then the last 5 weeks just revert back to the Oly training plan?

any input is appreciated.

2015-05-03 6:05 PM
in reply to: #5112725

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Help me with my summer training plan for a sprint, HM and OLY?
I trained for an Olympic and a HM on back to back weekends. I just extended my long runs and did a lot of fast finish runs instead of a ton of brick workouts. Sadly, the HM was canceled but I felt ready. Good luck!
2015-05-03 7:10 PM
in reply to: themissj1981

Well, depending on your volume, it's pretty easy to cover a HM run. But if you're on the lower end of the volume curve, it could be more cumbersome. What will your volume and number of sessions look like after the June sprint leading up to the HM and Olympic? If you're doing 3 sessions of each sport, you could substitute a run in place of a swim up until the HM and then go back to 3 until the Olympic. If you're doing less than 3 sessions, it becomes a bit more difficult. Details please.
2015-05-03 7:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Oregon
My current training is like this:

Mon: off or light bike ride (commute to work 7 miles each way. flat & easy)
Tues: 45 min masters swim practice in the morning, run in the evening per my HM plan ranging from 20-50 mins
Weds: medium intensity bike ride (most often a trainer ride) in the evening. about 60 mins
Thursday: 45 min masters swim practice in the morning. run in the evening with a co-worker usually 35-55 mins
Friday: Long bike ride in the morning. 60-90 mins with room for more. evening run per my HM plan
Saturday: 2 hour masters swim practice
Sunday: Long run

Swim: 3
Bike: 2-3
Run: 4

I realize I only have 1 rest day in there which worries me somewhat. But I can't figure out another way to fit everything in and I'm already biking less than ideal.

Edited by themissj1981 2015-05-03 7:57 PM
2015-05-03 9:50 PM

You can run a respectable HM on four runs a week. How many miles per week is that adding up to and how long is your long run? Since your 'a' race is the Olympic, I wouldn't consider adding a fifth run at the expense of a bike/swim, but instead, would recommend dropping that two hour masters swim on Saturday. Your biking is woefully out of balance. Keep the Friday bike at 60-90 minutes and add a long bike on Saturday. That way you can take that rest day on Monday and not worry about having to get a ride in.

How is your swim? I'm guessing ok based on what you're currently doing. Do you think you can maintain your current fitness on two 45 minute masters swim sessions?

Basically, if I had to choose between any three sports to do less of than the others it would be swimming, unless your swimming is really bad relative to the other two and needs to get better quickly. Under-training the bike doesn't just give you a slow bike time, it can kill your run time as well.
2015-05-04 8:42 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I wouldn't worry too much about only having one rest day if your plan has taper weeks in it (I think this depends on age/fitness/recovery for you personally). I would try to tweak my plan to taper on the weeks leading up to your sprint and HM too.

2015-05-04 9:26 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by ziggie204

How is your swim? I'm guessing ok based on what you're currently doing. Do you think you can maintain your current fitness on two 45 minute masters swim sessions?

my swim is actually pretty terrible which is the reason I'm doing so much swimming. my first triathlon I swam at 3:34 min/100 without a wetsuit. my 2nd I did 3:18 min/100 with a wetsuit and my third I did 3:05 min/100 with a wetsuit. I'm determined to break into the 2:xx crowd this year! So I've joined the masters swim team. I won't be giving up any of my 3 swims. I'd rather do another 2 a day workout than give up the swim.

running is my best event, so I feel less of a need to train for it...except for the fact that I'm doing a HM so I figured 4 days running was the sweet spot? most HM plans call for 4 or 5 days...
2015-05-04 4:04 PM
in reply to: #5112725

User image

Franklin, TN
Generally speaking, the masters swim practice is a good environment for developing speed and endurance. Unless it's a small class, you're not going to get a lot of individualized stroke instruction and that's what you need. I would suggest getting a few private lessons to clean up the major technique issues with your stroke.
2015-05-04 8:33 PM

Heh, glad I asked then. Yeah, probably shouldn't back off the swimming. Sounds like you're doing pretty much what you can then. But as the opportunity presents itself, try to up the bike time.
2015-05-04 10:23 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by JoelO

Generally speaking, the masters swim practice is a good environment for developing speed and endurance. Unless it's a small class, you're not going to get a lot of individualized stroke instruction and that's what you need. I would suggest getting a few private lessons to clean up the major technique issues with your stroke.

I think I lucked out with my local masters team. I'm not sure what defines a large or small class..as this is my first swim team experience but our entire team only has 15 people including me and most team members cannot/do not attend every practice. An average practice has 4-8 people and occasionally there are 10-12 people. I'd estimate that I receive about 15-20 mins of 1 on 1 instruction per class (spread out over the entire session).

Thanks for the input. I know I really need to work in more cycling. Maybe another bike trainer session Saturday evening? in reality it would only be every other Saturday due to having a tiny bit of a social life
2015-05-04 10:31 PM
in reply to: #5113019

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Actually training for an HM and Oly at the same time has complementary effects. They are if similar durations and the Oly training takes some pressure off your feet while keeping up the endurance work. Ideally your Oly long run would actually be an HM, maybe not this year but someday.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me with my summer training plan for a sprint, HM and OLY? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

1st HM, 8 weeks, 2nd HM - training question

Started by GLC1968
Views: 866 Posts: 3

2011-10-17 11:41 AM GLC1968

Help! Post-Tendonitis 5 Week HM Training Plan

Started by SoccerGK
Views: 958 Posts: 4

2011-03-26 5:53 PM tkos

Tri Schedule / Training Plans - HM to Oly to HIM

Started by islandflyer
Views: 1118 Posts: 3

2011-01-11 11:59 AM peto_primo

Sprint or Oly Training Plan Help

Started by trinigen
Views: 1333 Posts: 9

2009-04-07 9:39 AM trinigen

Help with swim part of BT oly training plan

Started by Mr. Freeze
Views: 967 Posts: 4

2006-03-03 1:04 PM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 30, 2013
author : Ron
comments : 1
We have new 10 and 20 week training plans for the New Year! These mini sprint plans are very conservative and will get any person thinking of training for a triathlon ready to cross the finish-line.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.